Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 - LanParty.ie 2 Competition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I understand that, but when it comes to attracting new players Gaelcon would be more important I think.

Lanparty and those other events are videogame events, people are already going to game to play the games they want to play. Sure we might get a few COD players to have a look at SF IV, but I feel Gaelcon would be a much more relaxed atmosphere for showing how friendly and welcoming this very young fighting game scene in Ireland is.

If possible I'll attend both, but this time Gaelcon will get my first preference. It's unfortunate they're both scheduled for the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

LanParty.ie's first lan party has recieved pretty good word of mouth from it attendees as being fun and well organised.

Its organizers are in regular contact with the fighting game community on boards.ie and have shown to be quite willing to try to accommodate the community. The format of the tournament is exactly what the community has it expressed it prefers. It also caters to both the fighting game only players by offering a reduced entry fee for them and cash prize for the winner of the tournament but also caters to fighting game players who play other games on various formats. The large time duration of the event will allow for more games making travel for distant players more worth while.

Gaelcon's admins on the other hand has had limited contact with us through an intermediary and its tournament rule set presents the organisation in a rather amateurish light. Its unknown at this time if they willing or able to change the rule set.

Your free to go to which ever event you prefer of course but I'm imagine the majority of the fighting game community would attend lanparty.ie's event over Gaelcon.

My personal preference would be to go to the tournament with the higher quality player base and best prize. As for potentially picking up more new players at Gaelcon, thats a debatable point. I reckon we are just as likely to pick them up at the lan event than at Gaelcon's event.

Perhaps Gaelcon will re-evaluate its rules but in the mean time it will rightly loose out to the more professional offering of lanparty.ie and so people will make a commitment to go that event first. I hope the SF IV competition is a big success at lanparty.ie's event and it establishes itself as a regular fixture at the event in the future.

With the amount of time available (48 hours), I'm sure an unofficial SF III tournament could be run by the community and potentially other fighting games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

blag wrote: »
    Is there no set times then for the SF tourney,like between certain times on the Saturday?

I only ask as I'll have to travel specifically to the event and I've no interest in playing anything else over a weekend.

Ideally i'd like to have things started for 1pm on the Saturday.
    This should allow people time to arrive at the event who are travelling from afar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Placebo wrote: »
    Azza wrote: »
    With the amount of time available (48 hours), I'm sure an unofficial SF III tournament could be run by the community and potentially other fighting games too.

Azza answered this. Let me know what format you want it on though and I'll arrange to have it. Same goes for any game.

Good Good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rNb1BAXxU

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix gets my vote.

I'm sure many would be interested in Blazblue. Seeing how its 48 hours long time should be of no concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I second the HDR vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I third it, I want to play my scrub DeeJay against some REAL competitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well in that case, I'll have to whip out my old Fei long and Dhalsim tricks than. Need some practice though, have barely played it since sf4 came out. :P

A few question tho, How many of you will be playing other games? I'm not a big cod4 player but I intend to have some fun with it. Ive played hundreds of hours of counter-Strike over the years...not recently but I'll probably play that too.

With that in mind, are there many people who are just going to bring themselves and not a PC? Like, just show up and play on other peoples PC considering its street fighter? How many of you guys are bringing your rigs?

Also, out of curiousity whats the ruleset for COD4? Does everyone start of at the lowest rank, or highest rank.....or just your own current rank? Coz this will have a big impact on the guns and perks available and could be quite unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

I vote for 3S im not the best player at it, but I loves it xD
    xbox version too!

I cant play it on a ps2 :(

I've just secured an original Xbox plus Street Fighter Anniversary edition for the LAN. Shouldn't be a problem getting HDR for the 360.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well in that case, I'll have to whip out my old Fei long and Dhalsim tricks than. Need some practice though, have barely played it since sf4 came out. :P

A few question tho, How many of you will be playing other games? I'm not a big cod4 player but I intend to have some fun with it. Ive played hundreds of hours of counter-Strike over the years...not recently but I'll probably play that too.

With that in mind, are there many people who are just going to bring themselves and not a PC? Like, just show up and play on other peoples PC considering its street fighter? How many of you guys are bringing your rigs?

Also, out of curiousity whats the ruleset for COD4? Does everyone start of at the lowest rank, or highest rank.....or just your own current rank? Coz this will have a big impact on the guns and perks available and could be quite unfair.

Kirby, the COD4 comp is a little different to what you've described. Competitive play for the PC is done using a mod called "Promod" which takes out perks etc. It's search and destroy mode too. I'll be posting full rules up for it in the next day or 2.

As for bringing your PC, the fighting section has been given a reduced rate of €20 for the weekend as they won't need to bring their own gear, hence not taking up as much space. If you want to participate in the PC lan side of things then entry is €40. Either entry gives you 48 hour access.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I've just secured an original Xbox plus Street Fighter Anniversary edition for the LAN. Shouldn't be a problem getting HDR for the 360.

original xbox wont work with any of the controllers really,
    i might be able to bring my 360 for the duration of my stay.

or we could use a pc and play 3s on an emulator,
    i have 1x ps2>pc convertor, and/or all xbox 360 controllers/sticks will work fine on pc.

Well we can use the disk on the 360 I'll have there or you can use the PC, tis up to yourselves.

cool thanks, depends who wants to play 3s as ps3 sticks will work on pc as well. [i think?] theyre all usb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Use a PC version, and I can use my Saturn pad.
    YEAAAAH!

It'll be easiest for someone to just stick an emulator with the games on a USB stick and play on PC than on any type of xbox or PS2 as it would need to be a modded PS2.

well i have the old xbox
    and i have a modded ps2

so basically it depends who wants to play 3s and what type of stick they have, i only have 1 ps2 to pc adaptor so the other contender will need to have a usb sort of pad

get practicing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Do many of ye plan to bring TV's and consoles? The more the merrier :)

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to only run 3S on a 360? Only console I can play it on.. weird isnt it?

Would it be possible to only run 3S on a 360? Only console I can play it on.. weird isnt it?

As people have already said, all 360 controllers work on PC, so it's best to play it on PC so that it doesn't have lag on certain stages when people super jump.

True that would be best, Just need to go buy a wired controller :P

Yeah we can play it on PC or 360, whichever people prefer.

I spoke recently with PPC about the competition and how he's going to run it. He's planning on running it on the saturday from about 2pm with all the games being played on that day.

People are still welcome to come along on the Friday and play casuals till the Sunday evening with the comps on Saturday.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Yeah we can play it on PC or 360, whichever people prefer.

Im going for 360.. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Im going for 360.. Anyone else?

Why 360? It's exactly the same as the PC version except you're making it so PS3 stick/pad users aren't able to play, and you can also use a trainer to instantly unlock all characters from the start.

There are no advantages and several large disadvantages to using 360 over PC.

Here listen I'm not making it out any way for some people who wouldn't be able to play!

I'm just saying the 360 is the preferd console to most SF4 players everyone here knows that!

See I dont know the several large disadvantages to using a 360 over a PC.

Why dont ya say them? Instead of saying there is dsiadvantages.

Edit... Just realized you contradicted yourself;
    Why 360? It's exactly the same as the PC version BUT it has several large disadvantages then its not the same xD

I think what Dreddy is saying with it being on PC is that both Xbox 360 & PS3 controllers/sticks will work on it. Also if it's a new hard drive on the xbox 360 some characters won't be unlocked where on the PC you can just get a file or something to unlock them withouth playing through the game. It opens it up to a lot more players.

• Advertisement

Yea I got that.. Like I have no fuss with playing on a PC in all fairness...

Advertisement