Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should this guy be given a transplant?

• 20-07-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A MOTHER has made public the plight of her son who became a teenage alcoholic and is now dying because he is not allowed a liver transplant.

Gary Reinbach started drinking alcohol with friends when he was 13. Now 22, his is one of the worst cases of cirrhosis of the liver among young people that his doctors have seen.

His predicament may serve as a wake-up call to a generation of young drinkers who are downing large volumes of cheap alcohol.

Doctors at University College hospital (UCH), in London, have given Reinbach the most advanced therapies, including a one-off treatment with an artificial liver from San Diego, California. But all have failed and they believe only a transplant will save him.

Reinbach, from Dagenham, Essex, does not qualify for an organ because official guidelines state that heavy drinkers must prove that they can be abstinent outside hospital before they are considered. His condition is so severe that he cannot be discharged to prove he can remain sober.

His mother has chosen to speak out in an attempt to reverse the verdict that he is not entitled to a liver transplant, which would give him a 75% chance of survival. Without one his chance is about 30%, according to his doctors.

Madeline Hanshaw, 44, his mother, said: “Gary didn’t know what he was doing when he was 13. He didn’t know it would come to this when he was 22. He didn’t know he was going to die. All his friends who were drinking with him are still at home, they are fine.”

Hanshaw, who works as a kitchen assistant, says she worked full-time when her son was growing up and was initially unaware of the extent of his drinking. This is the first time he has been hospitalised for alcohol damage.

One of Reinbach’s doctors, Professor Rajiv Jalan, a consultant hepatologist at UCH, said: “This is a young man who has never known any better. He has been drinking for eight or nine years and did not see what was coming to him. We feel this boy deserves a transplant because it is the first time he has come to the hospital with an alcohol-related problem.

“Most of us feel that if the patient has been abstinent for a period of time, and not a repeat offender, they should be given an opportunity. The debate is whether there should be exceptions to that rule.

“Gary has been in hospital for 10 weeks now and is teetering on the brink of death. He is in a catch22 situation because, if he does not get better, he is going to die in the hospital. He is never going to have the time to demonstrate he has been abstinent [outside hospital].”

There was an outcry when George Best, the late Manchester United footballer, was given a liver transplant in 2002, only to return to binge drinking within a year. He was criticised for putting people off organ donation. More than 8,000 Britons are awaiting an organ transplant, 259 of whom require livers. More than 400 people died on the waiting list last year.

The shortage of organs has been exacerbated by them being given to overseas patients who pay for the transplants. This year the health department was forced to investigate after it emerged that in the past two years the livers of 50 British donors had been given to foreign patients.

Binge drinking among young people has led to a sharp rise in deaths from cirrhosis of the liver in the 25-34 age group and hospital admissions among young people have been increasing. In 2007-8 the London Ambulance Service NHS Trust dealt with 8,126 alcohol-related calls for 11 to 21-year-olds, a 27% increase on 2004-5.

Reinbach’s doctors say cheap alcohol has contributed to the crisis. Raj Mookerjee, a consultant hepatologist at UCH and another of Reinbach’s doctors, said: “Young people can readily avail themselves of cheap alcohol in large volumes.

“Gary was drinking when his mother thought he was at school. He was drinking with several other people. In less than 10 years he has developed advanced cirrhosis. This backs the suspicion we have had for a long time that the liver is more susceptible at a young age.”

Reinbach enjoyed playing football and golf when he was younger but these sporting outings turned into binge-drinking sessions.

Hanshaw added: “I think it is too easy for young people to get alcohol. You can buy a bottle of whisky for about £7.”

A spokeswoman for NHS Blood and Transplant said: “This case highlights the dilemma that doctors [face] because of the shortage of donated organs. They have to make tough decisions about who is going to get the most benefit and who is going to take best care of this precious gift.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6719226.ece

I think he should be given a chance tbh. He was only 13 when he became an alcoholic.

Sad story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Better him than Larry Hagman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If he's done drinking then yeah he should get a second chance at life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If he gets the liver, who isn't going to get it?

Organ transplants are a zero-sum game, if one person gets it another person doesn't.

So the question is, does a person who was a raging alcoholic over their school years stand a good chance of becoming a functioning member of society, and are they as deserving as someone who's liver failed for no fault of their own?

That's sad :(

I think he should be given a second chance but not so sure if that means taking it away from someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I think he should be given a chance tbh. He was only 13 when he became an alcoholic.

Sad story

Why didn't someone not do something when he was 14 or 15? Sad story or reality, fact there is a 22 dying from cirrhosis of the liver is down to consuming alcohol. Education is key?
    But if a liver becomes available and he is suitable, he should be given a second chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I think he should be treated like someone who has had the chance to prove they can stay off the drink. God love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's sad :(

I think he should be given a second chance but not so sure if that means taking it away from someone else.

And what better reason for changing than being given the gift of life..?

I defo think he should get the transplant

And what better reason for changing than being given the gift of life..?

I defo think he should get the transplant

True. However if he gets the liver and returns to his old ways then people should wipe their hands of him and let him fall to the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

If he gets the liver, who isn't going to get it?

Organ transplants are a zero-sum game, if one person gets it another person doesn't.

So the question is, does a person who was a raging alcoholic over their school years stand a good chance of becoming a functioning member of society, and are they as deserving as someone who's liver failed for no fault of their own?

Precisely. George Best Syndrome.

The choice should be informed by ensuring that the organ gives the greatest chance of a healthy life for the longest time possible. Not used to process cider for a few short years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

To be honest it'll probably only give him the same amount of extra life that a 50 or 60 year old would get from it. It's not like he's going to get a new liver and then live til he's 75 or something. Rejection or the anti-rejection drugs will kill you in a few years anyway. At least that's my understanding of organ donation, I'm far from a medical expert though.

If that's the case I reckon it's still best to give it to the people who have proven they can stay off the sauce.

• Advertisement

He'd want to have had a pretty bad liver in the first place or else have been drinking almost EVERY day since he was 13 to be in that bad a state now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

They should compile a list of compatible patients and put him at the bottom of that list.

In my book people who abuse their bodies should come second to people who require organs through no fault of their own.

I knew what I was doing when I was 13 as did many other people I knew at that age, so the mothers argument is crap IMO(even though grant she is his mother so therefor cant be blamed for trying that angle, mothers will do anything for their kids). In some Religion's your considered a man at that age(if male).

I say put him bottom of the list or let him take his chances with the 30%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

In fairness as I understand things almost the only people who can actually use a new liver are ex-alchoholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its sad to hear about someone so young in this kind of condition but at the same time,should he get a transplant because of a self inflicted condition when someone that may have a medical condition miss out?

I dunno.

If one of his family is willing to donate then why not otherwise he should just wait like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

It is a sad story, personally I think he should get the transplant and hope he ,learned his lesson and stayed of the booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I really love how the way an article is written can influence reactions so much. This thread would be so much better if the Sun had covered the story. "22 year-old unemployed alcoholic demands new liver funded by YOUR taxes!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

nedtheshed wrote: »
    If one of his family is willing to donate then why not otherwise he should just wait like everyone else.
    I LOL'd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What :eek:, make sure they sign their doner card first and let the harvest begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

el_weirdo wrote: »
    I LOL'd...

Yeh, what if they've already sold one of their livers on Ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

DapperGent wrote: »
    To be honest it'll probably only give him the same amount of extra life that a 50 or 60 year old would get from it. It's not like he's going to get a new liver and then live til he's 75 or something. Rejection or the anti-rejection drugs will kill you in a few years anyway. At least that's my understanding of organ donation,
    If that's the case I reckon it's still best to give it to the people who have proven they can stay off the sauce.

Not true mate, whilst there is a long list of side effects from taking the anti rejection drugs, they are a lot less harsh than they used to be.
    My father is on Cyclosporin ( anti rejection drug ) for 15 years, also there's no guarantee that rejection will occur.

I would like to think the guy in the original post won't abuse a new liver but when you think about George Best I'd be dubious.he stole a second chance from someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Zadkiel wrote: »
    I would like to think the guy in the original post won't abuse a new liver but when you think about George Best I'd be dubious.he stole a second chance from someone else.

Aye but with the NHS it's a meet-the-rules and then first come first serve kinda deal.
    There should be some kind of discretion for the docs if they genuinely think he'll stay off the drink, but at the same time why should he be treated and better or worse than anyone else?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yeh, what if they've already sold one of their livers on Ebay?

:D

All transplant recepients should get 10 more doners signed up, the knock on would mount up over time.

Zadkiel wrote: »
    What? Because one (very famous and high-profile) recipient abused his second chance, this guy shouldn't be given one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What was the mother doing all this time while her son was drinking himself to death?

Hanshaw, who works as a kitchen assistant, says she worked full-time when her son was growing up and was initially unaware of the extent of his drinking

Bull****.

Reinbach’s doctors say cheap alcohol has contributed to the crisis. Raj Mookerjee, a consultant hepatologist at UCH and another of Reinbach’s doctors, said: “Young people can readily avail themselves of cheap alcohol in large volumes.

Let's make all alcohol really, really expensive to solve this problem!!

Did she get herself tested for her liver? The rest of her family perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I HOPE this is a joke! :D

IvySlayer wrote: »

Did she get herself tested for her liver? The rest of her family perhaps?

People tend to only have one liver, and usually depend on it while they're alive..

If the guy was a 50yo that started drinking in his early teens I might think differently but this was a kid that started drinking at 13, and was probably physically addicted at 14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He should get it, and he should have tests once a week to prove he isn't drinking. If it proves positive, they should take it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I LOL'd...
    You can be a living donor for a liver. They take a part of it not all of it.

Hrududu wrote: »
    Damn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

People tend to only have one liver, and usually depend on it while they're alive..

If the guy was a 50yo that started drinking in his early teens I might think differently but this was a kid that started drinking at 13, and was probably physically addicted at 14.

A human liver can have half of it removed and they can still live. Liver donations from live people are not that uncommon. The liver can regenerate at remarkable speed. There is no mention of getting herself tested in that article. There's got to be at least one fmaily member compatible.

The article makes it sound like he needs a full one, at least.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    A human liver can have half of it removed and they can still live. Liver donations from live people are not that uncommon. The liver can regenerate at remarkable speed. There is no mention of getting herself tested in that article. There's got to be at least one fmaily member compatible.

I did not know that :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:D

All transplant recepients should get 10 more doners signed up, the knock on would mount up over time.

Steer clear of the Tesco organ value range, although you do get points on your clubcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

As someone who got that all important gift of life i am seriously in two minds here. Because of the guys age i say give it to him,but if that rejects due to him taking up drinking again then any susequent transplant should not happen.

But in saying that what about another potential canditate,same age as that guy is shortlisted for the liver(this guy had a lifelong progressive illness that kills his liver) who get the transplant then?

Really i have to remain firmly on the fence on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I LOL'd...
    I HOPE this is a joke! :D

Sigh.

Mental Note - remember where I am and spell everything out in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

jester77 wrote: »

Just seen this after i posted,sad story,but you live by the sword...etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I think he should be given a second chance and put on the transplant list. He was only a kid when he started binge drinking. We've all done stupid crap when we were kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

There goes my original poignant suggestion. Mummy should be charged with child neglect and paraded around the high street with a sandwich board saying my 22 yr old son died from liver cirrihosis because of my neglect.

No of course he shouldn't have been given one, unless a family member donated. I don't care about "aw the poor little naive kid", there are plenty of genuine accidental cases out there who should all be priorities before him.
    Ofc, it's all moot now anyway.

• Advertisement

Expect to see deaths like this a lot more in about 10 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We need an opt-out system for organ donation.

Until then there will be too few organs and it will always be a case of who is the most deserving and all that ethical stuff when it should be a simple case of do we have the budget for this
    But health chiefs ruled he should not be exempt from strict organ donation criteria which require an alcohol-free period of at least six months.
    I'm guessing that this rule wasn't thought up on a whim.

They didn't say he was an alcoholic since 13 just that's when he started drinking, still it takes time to kill your liver..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

He's young, could he not get a partial liver transplant from a family member?
    Leave the donated livers to people who were unfortunate to be born with a defect or caught liver disease through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

It is a sad story, personally I think he should get the transplant and hope he ,learned his lesson and stayed of the booze.
    Don't you think everyone needing a liver transplant has a sad story? Whether they publish it in the news or not... Whoever makes these decisions need to rule with their heads not their hearts... The time they start following sob-stories is the time that people who seek publicity get preference over genuine cases. It's too late now, unfortunately... but he should be in the queue with everyone else...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

If it was just a matter of money I would say that this guy should be given every chance but unfortunatly there are only a limited number of livers available and unless a partial transplant was given someone has to die to give this poor guy the chance of life. Doctors and other professionals have to make these decisions every day - I could not make them which is why I am not a doctor. This guy would not have a high chance of making the most of his new liver, let alone getting through the surgery. This issue does deeply upset me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

We need an opt-out system for organ donation.

Until then there will be too few organs and it will always be a case of who is the most deserving and all that ethical stuff when it should be a simple case of do we have the budget for this.
    Even an opt-out system would not nessacerily lead to a solution to the problem of a lack of organs, as many families would say no immediately if told that the organs were being taken.
    What we need is more qualified people trained to talk with families and convince them to donate.
    AFAIK doctors aren't actually trained on how to ask patient's families for organs atm.
    Hrududu wrote: »
    Thanks for the mind-expansion - did not know that.

Deepsense wrote: »

Didn't even get a chance to even get a new liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Where does a 13 year old get the money to be a alcoholic?

I understand he probably got some benefits from 18 onwards but before that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Sad story

At the moment, my uncle is in hospital with kidney failure. He had a transplant 20 years ago after he fell from scaffolding (he's a builder) and ended up with serious internal injuries. 3 years ago this kidney also failed and on Saturday he lost so much blood from his arm (where his dialysis tubes or whatever, I'm not too sure of the technicalities, are) that he can hardly stay awake and can't receive a blood transfusion because of his condition.

He has 3 children, 2 sons - 20 and 18, and a daughter - 10. Having family in a situation similar to this, I can safely say I DO NOT THINK THIS MAN DESERVES A TRANSPLANT. Not before anyone else. What's wrong with him is his own doing, I don't care how young he was. He doesn't deserve an organ that could mean someone, like my uncle, doesn't get one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement