Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should this guy be given a transplant?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

If George Best and Mickey Mantle got new livers than I can't see them arguing against anyone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If George Best and Mickey Mantle got new livers than I can't see them arguing against anyone else.
    If you have money you can buy a new organ , otherwise you'll probably die waiting for one.

The whole point of an opt out system is that consent is implied ,it's just a mind set., most people don't care. Do a big ad campaign and then have an option to opt out when you renew your Driving License / HSE card / social services card. Relatives feelings should not count, the opt out period was over. , most people won't be organ donors and unless there is cash for organs scandals then organs would only be taken when needed.

or offer people a tenner if they tick the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Serious question: how much would he have to have been drinking to drink himself to death before he even turned 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

orestes wrote: »
    Serious question: how much would he have to have been drinking to drink himself to death before he even turned 23?

Must have to be the equivalent of 3-4 bottles of vodka a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

I suppose it's all academic now, but I was very much torn between my head and my heart on this one.

On one hand, fcuk it like, who can honestly say they haven't fcuked up in their lives, especially at your man's age? I'd imagine the mental (not to mention physical) torture of lying in the hospital bed thinking somethin along the lines of "why the **** did i absolutely destroy myself?" would be punishment enough.

On the other hand though, he had his chance and he blew it, spectacularly. By jaysus, ive drank some drink in my time, but I really don't think Id ever get myself into such a state. How the hell did he (or indeed his family) ever let himself get that far into the gargle in his mere 22 years to end up like this:

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/gary-reinbach-415x275.jpg

It does raise a lot of questions though, and if it's a warning for even one person to change, then his death might have been worth it (for society that is, obviously not for his friends or family).

I definitely think an opt-out system for organ donation is the only way to go, like i don't really give a rats what happens to my internals after i'm gone, but i've never made any efforts to sign up for an organ donor card or whatnot.

I believe in the UK the waitin list for a liver was something like 250 people...sure that amount of people must die every day there...if they had an opt-out system, and taking into account elderly people, incompatibility etc, sure this chap could probably have had a liver in a month or two, without the need to deny someone else the benefit.

Your friends and mine though, the good aul RCC, might have a thing or two to say about the implementation of such a system though, especially in relation to burial and the "soul" etc. I can't see an opt-out system comin in to this country in a long while for that reason, but other countries might see an easier transition.

Tl;dr....a tragic story, but some lessons might be learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

coyle wrote: »
    Your friends and mine though, the good aul RCC, might have a thing or two to say about the implementation of such a system though, especially in relation to burial and the "soul" etc. I can't see an opt-out system comin in to this country in a long while for that reason, but other countries might see an easier transition.
    I know people love to take random digs at the Church, but I'm nearly certain that they are down with donatin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Serves him right and small loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

el_weirdo wrote: »
    What? Because one (very famous and high-profile) recipient abused his second chance, this guy shouldn't be given one?

No because he hasnt been clean of alcohol for 6 months.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Zadkiel wrote: »
    No because he hasnt been clean of alcohol for 6 months.:confused:

Sure he didn't have a chance because he couldnt leave the hospital.

Interesting point though, i wonder when he last had a drink before he died? And i know little or nothing about cirrhosis, but it can hardly come on so quick that one day youre alright, the next day you're bright yellow can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

coyle wrote: »
    Sure he didn't have a chance because he couldnt leave the hospital.

Interesting point though, i wonder when he last had a drink before he died? And i know little or nothing about cirrhosis, but it can hardly come on so quick that one day youre alright, the next day you're bright yellow can it?

Cirrhosis is a consequence of chronic liver disease characterized by replacement of liver tissue by fibrous scar tissue as well as regenerative nodules (lumps that occur as a result of a process in which damaged tissue is regenerated),[1][2][3] leading to progressive loss of liver function. Cirrhosis is most commonly caused by alcoholism, hepatitis B and C, and fatty liver disease but has many other possible causes. Some cases are idiopathic, i.e., of unknown cause.
    Ascites (fluid retention in the abdominal cavity) is the most common complication of cirrhosis and is associated with a poor quality of life, increased risk of infection, and a poor long-term outcome. Other potentially life-threatening complications are hepatic encephalopathy (confusion and coma) and bleeding from esophageal varices. Cirrhosis is generally irreversible once it occurs, and treatment generally focuses on preventing progression and complications. In advanced stages of cirrhosis the only option is a liver transplant.

Linky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrhosis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6719226.ece

I think he should be given a chance tbh. He was only 13 when he became an alcoholic.

Sad story

Is that article a test for the guy?
    I only see a lot of these: 75% ... 30% ... 27% ....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 getthegarglein

Just read through this thread... plenty of blame pointed at the lad and his mother but don't think i saw any mention of his father anywhere - he's the one who should be questioned about how he let his son get into that state i reckon.. the mother (imo) was prob just trying to do her best to make ends meet for the family...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just read through this thread... plenty of blame pointed at the lad and his mother but don't think i saw any mention of his father anywhere - he's the one who should be questioned about how he let his son get into that state i reckon.. the mother (imo) was prob just trying to do her best to make ends meet for the family...
    You can hardly blame the father and absolve the mother of all blame, can you?

Advertisement