Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension letters

Options

Comments

Nothing in for me yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

32-0 now :eek:

C'mon somebody has to have got all theirs

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Nothing from my postie either..... 33 votes "No" against 0 votes "Yes" so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Nothing yet and as tomorrow is also Sat that means I now technically have 3 unlicensed firearms in my possession due to Government incompetence. Well done Dermot !

I understand the extension letters have been printed and are possibly in transit. However, if I get arrested now -whom should I sue ?

An Post for late delivery or the Minister for forcing me into a Felony situation ?

Or both ?

I only hope that when they do arrive that they don't have 'If undeliverable, Please Return to the Firearms Certificate Extension Letter Section' plastered all over the front of them (not that something that ludicrous could ever happen)

I see from the poll that I won't be alone in my cell !

freddieot wrote: »
    Nothing yet and as tomorrow is also Sat that means I now technically have 3 unlicensed firearms in my possession due to Government incompetence. Well done Dermot !
    Well it's a bank holiday weekend so it's Tuesday before the postie will come again.

• Advertisement

I understand the extension letters have been printed and are possibly in transit. However, if I get arrested now -whom should I sue ?

An Post for late delivery or the Minister for forcing me into a Felony situation ?

Or both ?

I only hope that when they do arrive that they don't have 'If undeliverable, Please Return to the Firearms Certificate Extension Letter Section' plastered all over the front of them (not that something that ludicrous could ever happen)

If the letter has been printed, you are de facto covered, even if you don't have physical possession of the licence.

Also, since all certs are automatically rolled over, you are covered.

I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Not if we all, I mean every firearm owner in the Republic, head down to the local cop shop and surrender our firearms..... Imagine the confusion/panic... :D
    I think...
    he says from the depths his cell..... I've packed my porridge....

If the letter has been printed, you are de facto covered, even if you don't have physical possession of the licence.

I think...

You're right except.....

If you have a restricted firearm, your extension will run out on 31st october according to the act.

The acts say that you have to get a decision in three months, so if you don't get your letter until four days into the three months that means that you mightn't have a licence at the far end.

Then it gets messy :eek:

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Not if we all, I mean every firearm owner in the Republic, head down to the local cop shop and surrender our firearms..... Imagine the confusion/panic... :D

he says from the depths his cell..... I've packed my porridge....

Well I'm starting a Law degree in October. I'll let you know the answer in August when I finish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Nuthin yet and postie has been through. :(

Maybe next week:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think...

Zaraba, you're probably right 'I think....

Also, I was planning to take the small toy up to Newry tomorrow but as my PSNI Pass is only valid if I have valid domestic documents, I doubt that they would be pleased with a 'de facto' explanation and the cells in NI are far lonlier than the ones down here these days !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think...

Zaraba, you're probably right 'I think....

Also, I was planning to take the small toy up to Newry tomorrow but as my PSNI Pass is only valid if I have valid domestic documents, I doubt that they would be pleased with a 'de facto' explanation and the cells in NI are far lonlier than the ones down here these days !

Check the ICPSA's latest statement - you should call your local Super, he's got your documents, and the FCP will help with the PSNI if there's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Well I'm starting a Law degree in October. I'll let you know the answer in August when I finish it!

London University do an external law degree so if the worst comes to worst you could do it by post. Nelson Mandela did his BSc Econ that way so there is precident. :D:D:D

Thanks Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Trojan911 wrote: »

Why dont we....?:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Mainly because we like our sport I suspect Grizzly :D
    Mind you, you'd more than likely find your local garda station couldn't accept them, seeing as how they wouldn't have secure storage for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zaitsev

Nothing arrived here either......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

zaitsev wrote: »
    Nothing arrived here either......:(

Its a cold day to be back home:D in dear old Eire

:)Ah but we are the most law abiding citizens out there Sparks,and we have 100% total trust in our Govt to do things 100% right first time off.Therfore if we do not have liscense renewal letters we must hand in firearms...No letter...does not compute,does not compute....ERROR ERROR....SYSTEM CRASH!!!!:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Why dont we....?

It would only piss off the local cops and this is not a problem of their making.

Any blame for making a mess here is down to Government not Gardai or the DOJ who are probably making the most of a confusing situation like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Got mine, extended to 31 December - great, just what you need at Christmas, more expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

nothing for me yet
    i have 1 restriced and 2 normal
    maybe tuesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ........Also I can see another potential problem on the way.They havent put the make down of the gun.So what happens if I have the same serial number of a gun that another bloke has,but both are two different makes??This HAS happened to me once before with the .22 The Gardai were convinced I had sold the .22 to another lad in another part of Ireland.Trouble was mine was an Anschutz and his a CZ/Brno. Now I know there are the first three and last lette rs of the alaphbet involved here.But honestly...;)

A little of topic but i had the same problem and it was with a lad that had an Anschutz. Same serial number just different make and model. Took a couple of months to get sorted and by that i mean ringing Wexford/Waterford Gardai asking them to drive to the owner and check. Hardly you?:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Proably not,unless you had a CZ Brno you sold about 8 years ago?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Why dont we....?

It would only piss off the local cops and this is not a problem of their making.

Any blame for making a mess here is down to Government not Gardai or the DOJ who are probably making the most of a confusing situation like the rest of us.
    I'm not completely buying that. There was advice available on the forms from the FCP and that wasn't availed of. These stupid pieces of paper were kept hidden like the third secret of Fatima and weren't circulated until the last possible minute.

Any problems with them are of their own making. Let them sort out the mess.

51-1 on hitting the deadline. Jebus wept :O

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No, not that long ago. Just curious.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

rrpc wrote: »
    There was advice available on the forms from the FCP and that wasn't availed of. These stupid pieces of paper were kept hidden like the third secret of Fatima and weren't circulated until the last possible minute.
    *ahem*
    Haven't seen the FCP make that comment yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

if we do not have liscense renewal letters we must hand in firearms

You could do that. Or you could compare this year to every over year since 1925 (and probably before that). Do you really think every single firearm in the whole of the country was somehow renewed at midnight on 31 July each year? Is it just this year that the 'license renewal fairies' who magically accomplished this Santaesque task packed it in? All 232,000 firearms certificates were NEVER either renewed or extended on 31 July. Anyone who doesn't have an extension letter by this time next week should be concerned that they have been forgotten. In the meantime, its just silly to suggest that this year being a day or three technically 'out of license' is any different to last year or the year before that or the year before that or ...

If you want to hand in your 'unlicensed firearms' then do that. Otherwise wait a few days. Up to you either way.

:)Ah but we are the most law abiding citizens out there Sparks,and we have 100% total trust in our Govt to do things 100% right first time off.Therfore if we do not have liscense renewal letters we must hand in firearms...No letter...does not compute,does not compute....ERROR ERROR....SYSTEM CRASH!!!!:D:D:D

The second your man stamps signs that letter
    (or the machine signs it for him) you have your extension.

Given all the letters are backdated, you'll be fine, providing you eventually get your licence.

• Advertisement

THANK YOU BTK.You proved my point about folks panicking!!:D
    I just used some tounge in cheek humour to suggest that we should do so how much chaos would ensue.Seeing that we always say we are the most "law abiding".Then if that were the case we would be doing so tomrrow.
    It seems that there are some people here who act like headless chooks if life doesnt produce exactly the right paper at the right moment in life ,all sorts of dreadful things happen to them. I NEVER expect anything to go right here in Ireland first time.Least of all anything involving the Irish Govt.

PS to all the "serious" readers of my posts.If I have a bunch of smiley faces in it,I am extracting the urine.

Advertisement