Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension letters

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pajero2005 wrote: »
    ALL applications are "new" applications according to him. i.e. You need to submit permission letters from land owners etc.

He must be taking the piss:mad:

Like a lot of other people I'sd say, both my original permissions came from farmers who are long since deceased. They'll just have to be satisfied with ICPSA and NARGC membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Club membership will do the trick i'd say. Its just a pain havin to go back to farmers again asking for the same letters I sent in last year when getting my first licence.:mad:

My fault for handing in originals I suppose:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Got mine all 3 extended till 31 may 2010... Loving it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

All arrived today 31/10/09, 17 hmr,o/u,.223

Looks like ill have to get some passport pictures done and get the forms filled in and get it sent off next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Got mine today... all three only extended till the end of october 09!!:eek::eek:
    Someone made a serious blunder, was talkin to the FO, goin in on monday to try and get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Hibrion wrote: »
    Got mine today... all three only extended till the end of october 09!!:eek::eek:
    Someone made a serious blunder, was talkin to the FO, goin in on monday to try and get it sorted.
    Why was it a serious blunder? You got a three month extension:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

fat-tony wrote: »
    Why was it a serious blunder? You got a three month extension:)

I think what he's trying to say is that there is a bit of confusion out there as to when you're supposed to apply. I've heard you have to apply no later than three months before the date you get on your letter and I've also heard that you're OK to apply within a few weeks of the date on that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Yes, what John said, the local FO seemed to think the same.. ie that someone made a mistake along the way... he shoots himself and is well in the know on stuff compared to some FOs.

So if you can apply just a few weeks before, what happens if a decision hasn't been made by then??

Re-read your extension letter. It says "Up to 3 months prior to the expiry date... you must apply for a firearm certificate"
    That means the earliest you should apply for a firearm certificate is three months before it expires. No point in applying now if your cert expires in May 2010.
    Now, it does place you in a quandry if you apply with two months to go and the Super takes his/her legally allowed time of three months to decide to renew or reject your application, but that's another day's worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The phrasing on mine is "up to three months" before the date stated, so according to my interpretation, I can't just sling it in now, but have to wait until next March before I can renew. I'll be putting in a new application anyway as soon as NPWS get back to me, then we'll see how it runs for new licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Got all mine today extended till 31/05/2010:D

Can i submit an application for a new firearm now:confused:

Hibrion wrote: »

So if you can apply just a few weeks before, what happens if a decision hasn't been made by then??
    That's not your fault if a decision hasn't been made. If it's decided that you are not going to be "renewed", then the Super will be in touch presumably to make arrangements as regards storage of your firearm.

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Got all mine today extended till 31/05/2010:D

Can i submit an application for a new firearm now:confused:
    Why do you want to renew now? Have you money to burn;)Enjoy the free ride:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That's not your fault if a decision hasn't been made. If it's decided that you are not going to be "renewed", then the Super will be in touch presumably to make arrangements as regards storage of your firearm.
    The Super could simply grant you an extension on the extension?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The Super could simply grant you an extension on the extension?
    Exactly (well - maybe the Commissioner might be needed on that):)
    Either way, they're not exactly going to clap you in irons because they were tardy in dealing with your renewal (sorry - application:)).

you misunderstand me my dear fellow. i'm quiet happy with the lenght of my extension.;) What i want to know is can i submit a brand new application for the rifle growing dust in the dealers which up till now they would not process?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sounds to me more like he's wondering whether they're accepting fresh applications, rather than renewals.

Sounds to me more like he's wondering whether they're accepting fresh applications, rather than renewals.

Thanks IWM your wise beyond your ears:D

you misunderstand me my dear fellow. i'm quiet happy with the lenght of my extension.;) What i want to know is can i submit a brand new application for the rifle growing dust in the dealers which up till now they would not process?
    Apols - my bad:o You should of course be able to submit a new application, but the storage and security SI and the Commissioner's guidelines seem to be "not ready" at the mo' which is going to make the new application process less than transparent. The general advice so far seems to be - wait until the guidelines are published.

There are too many unknowns at the moment.

• Advertisement

Apols - my bad:o You should of course be able to submit a new application, but the storage and security SI and the Commissioner's guidelines seem to be "not ready" at the mo' which is going to make the new application process less than transparent. The general advice so far seems to be - wait until the guidelines are published.

I had the crime prevention officer around for a visit last may and my new and inproved setup was giving a big thumbs up so i'm not too worried about that aspect of it.

Anyway if there is more requirement in these guidelines than what i've already got in place, we're all totally f#####!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Exactly (well - maybe the Commissioner might be needed on that)

And new enabling legislation as well. Can't see this happening.
    What i want to know is can i submit a brand new application for the rifle growing dust in the dealers which up till now they would not process?

You surely can now the three year licensing system is up and running limping. You might even get the first ever three year license. Surely a collectors item!
    The general advice so far seems to be - wait until the guidelines are published.

Though waiting until (next week?) the guidelines go up on the garda website makes good sense.

BornToKill wrote: »
    You surely can now the three year licensing system is up and running limping. You might even get the first ever three year license. Surely a collectors item!

would'nt that be nice...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

got mine today! extended till 30/06/10 :D
    oh and are semi autos on the restricted list?

ayapatrick wrote: »
    got mine today! extended till 30/06/10 :D
    oh and are semi autos on the restricted list?
    semi-auto what's?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

semi-auto what's?

:o sorry should have said. sa shotgun. its a benelli

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ive a new application in along with my renewals/applications but seen as how my extensions only last to 31/10/09 i won't have to wait too long. Don't know about applying now with re-application deadline in may next year.

Here is a conundrum for ya. If someone, say me for talks sake, wanted to trade one .22 for another but my extensions lasted till 31/05/10 could i bring in my old licenses along with my extensions and get both stamped by a Garda, collect my new rifle then when i'm filling in my re-applications in March for 31st May deadline put in the details of my new rifle for my new 3 year license. Surely from now till the time of re-application they would have gotten my amended .22 licence from my local station.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

There is to be no more amending licences by local Gardaí. Local FO told me this only last week. You would have to apply for a new licence now to get your new gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ezridax wrote: »
    Ive a new application in along with my renewals/applications but seen as how my extensions only last to 31/10/09 i won't have to wait too long. Don't know about applying now with re-application deadline in may next year.

Here is a conundrum for ya. If someone, say me for talks sake, wanted to trade one .22 for another but my extensions lasted till 31/05/10 could i bring in my old licenses along with my extensions and get both stamped by a Garda, collect my new rifle then when i'm filling in my re-applications in March for 31st May deadline put in the details of my new rifle for my new 3 year license. Surely from now till the time of re-application they would have gotten my amended .22 licence from my local station.

You can do that at any time. You've still got an extension but you won't have a licence unless you elect to start your substituted firearm licence from the time it's approved. They're not going to (and I don't think there's any legislation to support) changing an extension letter.

In other words, you lose whatever length of extension is left when you get your substitution done.

• Advertisement

ayapatrick wrote: »
    :o sorry should have said. sa shotgun. its a benelli
    If the magazine (tube) is incapable of holding more than 3 cartridges, then it's not restricted. (That's also assuming it's not got a detachable, folding or telescopic stock or a pistol grip). Basically if the mag can hold more than 3 shells, then it's restricted.

Advertisement