Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

we as a people seem quite happy to accept anything

Options
  • 20-07-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

We as a people seem quite happy to accept anything. Sorry I’m wrong were not happy but stay quite and take it. I was going to complain to a manager in a restaurant recently about the quality of the food I was given and the service provided and my friends asked me not to as it could cause a scene. In the end I was more annoyed with them then with the restaurant.

This is typical of the Irish we allowed people in powerful positions in our society to abuse their power, these powers I might add that we as a people give to them. We do this by omission we do this by tacitly consenting to them remaining in office.

We allowed our country to be run in to the ground by Bankers, Developers and politicians and no one is held accountable. We are the Wild West of Europe and we look like idiots in the eyes of the world and what’s more we deserve it.
    ACC bank are happy to go after those who owe them money but not the Irish banks they seem to be under the impression that if we sit tight and say nothing it will all work itself out, how Irish.

The Irish time had the following in it

“Germans against bailing out Ireland, poll shows

ALISON SHEVLIN
    Some 70 per cent of Germans are opposed to bailing out Ireland from its current financial difficulties, according to a poll.”

I think the Germans are right. We as a people accepted anything and now we should get what we deserve, nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

but but if the Germans dont bail us out who will buy their cars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The best thing the German's could do for su right now is land us in the sh*ts good and proper and that way, we'd be forced to fix our own problems.... All they are doing is handing us more rope to hang ourselves with... All this debt we are being baled out with, that all has to be paid back and it is our children who will be saddled with it. We should be forced to cut back on public expenditure before we are given another cent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The best thing the German's could do for su right now is land us in the sh*ts good and proper and that way, we'd be forced to fix our own problems.... All they are doing is handing us more rope to hang ourselves with... All this debt we are being baled out with, that all has to be paid back and it is our children who will be saddled with it. We should be forced to cut back on public expenditure before we are given another cent...

I think it's safe to say that they're doing just that. The German economy lost money in ours, and had to cover that in their own economy. It's a Germanic/Northern thing; actions, consequences. They're more likely to very suddenly get us cut out of the euro zone in order to save it, than to bail out Ireland without pre-conditions. They're probably seeing the bail-out as the money that the EU pumped into Ireland over the last few decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

This is 100% true of the replies in this forum, speaking of the "harsh realities" which happen to be the same ones prescribed to us by the same people who landed us in them to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

enry wrote: »
    ACC bank are happy to go after those who owe them money but not the Irish banks they seem to be under the impression that if we sit tight and say nothing it will all work itself out, how Irish.
    The large Irish owned banks will be first to be helped by NAMA, that is why.

• Advertisement

This is 100% true of the replies in this forum, speaking of the "harsh realities" which happen to be the same ones prescribed to us by the same people who landed us in them to begin with.

harsh realities?

woaa wake the frack up

so which hole do you think dozens of billions of euro to pay public/civil sectors and welfare come from

what reality do you live in?

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

I think the way people responded in the local elections shows that people aren't accepting the governments excuses anymore.

I hope that, if we get through this mess without the country collapsing, that it might be the start of people not taking as much crap from politicians and the government.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    I think the way people responded in the local elections shows that people aren't accepting the governments excuses anymore.

I hope that, if we get through this mess without the country collapsing, that it might be the start of people not taking as much crap from politicians and the government.

But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

- "People get the government that they deserve"

everyone is blaming the government (and yes they did have a large part in current mess) but no one wants to blame the people themselves

we:

* elected these crooks again and again
    * let the gravy train roll
    * dived head first into mortgaging ourselves to the eyes
    * participated in a crazy housing bubble

and more

knowing the root causes and main players is important to understand and then get out of this mess

waving fingers around and blaming everyone but yourself is delusion

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    - "People get the government that they deserve"

everyone is blaming the government (and yes they did have a large part in current mess) but no one wants to blame the people themselves

we:

* elected these crooks again and again
    * let the gravy train roll
    * dived head first into mortgaging ourselves to the eyes
    * participated in a crazy housing bubble

and more

knowing the root causes and main players is important to understand and then get out of this mess

waving fingers around and blaming everyone but yourself is delusion

:rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting it was solely the governments fault, but they did have the most power to prevent the current situation from being as bad as it is.

Clearly the banks were too greedy and short-sighted to control the borrowing and handing out of mortgages left right and centre.

I think the market at the time dictated people’s actions, which in turn caused the people to inflate the market even further, but I don't think individuals are to blame for "mortgaging ourselves to the eyes". They shouldn't have been given a chance to do this in the first place.

And as the banks couldn't control themselves, the financial regulator should have controlled them. The department of the financial regulator has come out and admitted their failings in that regard.

So, everyone had a part to play in causing the bubble, some larger than others.

The thread title was "we as a people seem quite happy to accept anything", and that was clearly one of the root causes you mentioned of the current problems we're in.

All I was suggesting was that hopefully that will no longer now be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

""I think the market at the time dictated people’s actions""

But isn't 'the market' the effect of peoples' actions and greed - not the cause?

It will take at least 2 generations to surface from this mess; in the meantime how many will take the emmigration route once more, exacerbating the problem?

Politicians and bankers must be held to account for their actions. Toxic assets resulted from toxic underwriting - greed ruled supreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I love this, it is a uniquely Irish problem.

Bollocks to that, we are not so special.

We basically did the exact same thing as America and Britain on the assumption that immigrants would come and fill up the extra houses due to our low population which as soon as there was a bump in the road stopped happening and messed up everything for our pyramid scheme economy.

Its the same in all these countries. I told someone not to buy at the peak of the boom and was told, there are too many people in now so might as well as the government will have to help people out if it all goes south, that they couldn't let that man citizens go bankrupt.

Nice prediction but not really accurate as the government are bankrupt themselves. I think the government had a similar attitude, if it all goes tits up the EU will help us out.

I don't think its uniquely Irish, its just something stupid that happened to the Irish because we blindly believed our politicians were running the country competently. I think in most countries, people are the same and expect politicians to do their jobs.

The only really unique thing about Ireland is that there are no consequences to messing up if your a politician because everyone just votes FF regardless.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting it was solely the governments fault, but they did have the most power to prevent the current situation from being as bad as it is.

what came first the chicken or the egg?

we elected this government when all the alarm lights were flashing

Advertisement