Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File access/modification across workgroup

• 20-07-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Lets say you have a Vista Business PC acting as a "file server" and a XP Pro PC on a simple peer-peer workgroup network. There is a MS Access database on the Vista PC (MS Office 2007). The plan is to have the database open on both machines at the same time and be able to make changes from either machine. Access 2003 is installed on the XP Pro machine.

Via a mapped drive, the XP Pro PC can open the database, but a popup says it's READ ONLY.

1. XP and Vista user accounts are password protected
    2. I added the credentials of the XP Pro machine user on the Vista machine
    3. I added the XP Pro user account to the security for the database file and gave it full control

The READ ONLY message still comes up. Is this a networking, Access version issue or? I'm no Access expert by any means.

Any ideas? thanks in advance :)

Advertisement