Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC v Red Bull Salzburg Champions' League qualifier match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    As a Rebel Army man I honestly wanted Bohs to go through.

Well said man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Salzburg were no great shapes but they showed Bohs how to hold onto the ball. They never looked rushed, always happy to find a player as opposed to rushing the ball forward. In the end they created very little with all their possession and had Bohs held onto the ball they would be through. Anto Murphy was applauded for curling a ball down the touchline to nobody, i.e. getting the ball as far away as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Candystripe here....Unlucky Bohs, I mean it.

Anto Murphy
    Nani

Trilla wrote: »
    Nani

You were not far off the mark. Left wing was a major problem in the second half and Murphy did not help the situation when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, Fenlon and his negative Europe tactics, I know what it feels like.

Hard luck Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If RTE had shown it, what good would it have done? It was a terrible game that would have only given the barstoolers about the quality of the game. Bohs could have won but fenlon's cowardly tactics put them out

I'm no bohs fan but surely thats all secondary to the result? i play football to win, I don't give a toss what people think of the means/style I use to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I just saw the report on TV3 there, looked like a game of few chances. What was Fenlon at having a right go at the Salzburg manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Unlucky Bohs.:(

I'm genuinely disappointed to see them go out especially at 1-0.

I guess our hopes lie with Derry and Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Bohs dreadfully unlucky tonight against FC Salzburg

3746865427_3c0bdb6caf.jpg

3746871969_5f237b76be.jpg

3747650546_93d23da6bf.jpg

More Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What happened at the end there with the guards and their manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The News of the World girls were class:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah the old negative tactics in european football...i wouldnt know what it feels like to be honest...;)

Didnt see the game, but its tough losing in the last couple of minutes like that, the thing is though, if Boh's had held on you would all be sitting here talking about how heroic the defending was and that the tactics done the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hard luck Bohs.

Does that put them into the next round of Europa Cup qualifiers or are they just out of Europe now?

Also, did any Irish channel show the match in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hard luck bohs, played well from what i saw.

Didnt see the goal so aint gonna jump on the Rossiter YOU XXXX wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Quint wrote: »
    The News of the World girls were class:D

3746911027_3b73a471bb.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusmcnally/sets/72157621782908712/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bohs contained them well for most of the match.

Settling for 0-0 after half time was always a risk.

Even a team as poor as Salzburg will create a few decent chances if you keep conceeding possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

:(

Didnt see anything wrong with Fenlons tactics tbh. Salzburg were muck. 5 mins more and no one would be complaining. 1 defensive **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Salzburg were no great shapes but they showed Bohs how to hold onto the ball. They never looked rushed, always happy to find a player as opposed to rushing the ball forward. In the end they created very little with all their possession and had Bohs held onto the ball they would be through. Anto Murphy was applauded for curling a ball down the touchline to nobody, i.e. getting the ball as far away as possible.

I was in the stand on that side of the pitch, and applauded him for that ball. He didn't kick it to get it away, rather he played a fantastic first time ball into space under pressure and managed to get just the right weight on it for an oncoming Boh's player. Unfortunately, the oncoming Boh's player was supposed to be Crowe, who instead remained in his customary top of the center circle position (he held the fort down in that center circle like a champ throughout the game in fairness :rolleyes:) and proceeded to fix his armband again. What a chump.

I was aghast when Byrne was taken off and Crowe left on. He turned in a disgraceful performance. The goal was Rossiter's fault imo, but he looked a little unfit and had been shown up as a potential liability for a lot of the first half. Shelly (I think it was Shelly, the number 15 at the back who generally crushed) and Deegan were brilliant, and I felt Ndo worked hard and made a lot of very positive plays (as well as doing some awful things obv). Murphy did well, but his distribution was poxy - which ultimately didn't help. Powell was brilliant for 70 minutes, very positive player. But he tired late on and they began to get a lot of joy down his flank.

Salzburg don't look great, but they kept going and trying to get a goal. I'd say they deserved to progress. Boh's played very deep for too long and left themselves with no margin for error. Play with fire, get burned, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Didn't see the game but I am disappointed for Bohs and the LOI in general. They have been worthy champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

was at the game last night...

must say great atmosphere thought we should have got summit out of the game tho.

ndo had a good game but crowe didnt get a sniff the whole match... plus conceding at that time was sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nutsy strikes again.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I was in the stand on that side of the pitch, and applauded him for that ball. He didn't kick it to get it away, rather he played a fantastic first time ball into space under pressure and managed to get just the right weight on it for an oncoming Boh's player. Unfortunately, the oncoming Boh's player was supposed to be Crowe, who instead remained in his customary top of the center circle position (he held the fort down in that center circle like a champ throughout the game in fairness :rolleyes:) and proceeded to fix his armband again. What a chump.

I was aghast when Byrne was taken off and Crowe left on. He turned in a disgraceful performance. The goal was Rossiter's fault imo, but he looked a little unfit and had been shown up as a potential liability for a lot of the first half. Shelly (I think it was Shelly, the number 15 at the back who generally crushed) and Deegan were brilliant, and I felt Ndo worked hard and made a lot of very positive plays (as well as doing some awful things obv). Murphy did well, but his distribution was poxy - which ultimately didn't help. Powell was brilliant for 70 minutes, very positive player. But he tired late on and they began to get a lot of joy down his flank.

Salzburg don't look great, but they kept going and trying to get a goal. I'd say they deserved to progress. Boh's played very deep for too long and left themselves with no margin for error. Play with fire, get burned, etc.

I'm with you there. Byrne is lively, he can actually run, he chases balls, he can get off the ground for headers. Crowe didn't move out of a 5m radius circle for each half and made no attempt to get any ball unless it was right to feet. Even then he does his usual underhit pass back to a midfielder that puts them under pressure. I remember Ndo got past their fullback in front of the Jodi in the second half, whipped in a great cross. Where was Crowe? Standing 2 meters out of position thinking "what's the point of going for it, it's too far away". Another pass in the first half and Crowe jumped for it and me and my mate actually laughed, I reckon he got about 6 inches off the ground! A few minutes earlier Byrne managed to get a looping header on target from a difficult free kick. It didn't go in, but at least he tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Salzburg were no great shakes and it’s unlikely that they’ll make it to the group stages (in my opinion), but this is a side brimming with internationals and Bohs lived with them for the best part of 180 minutes – 10 years ago, this tie would have been over about 30 minutes into the first leg. There’s no way Bohs were going to be able to outplay these guys – it was always going to be a case of trying to stop them playing and trying to nick something on the break or from a set-piece. That’s not to say that Bohs don’t have some decent footballers (Deegan, Shelley, Powell and Oman were all excellent), but there are a number of liabilities in the side that just aren’t up to the required standard (Brennan in particular).

I’m genuinely disappointed that Bohs didn’t make it through, but it has to be said that the better side progressed. Irish sides have come a very long way over the last decade or so and have shown that they can compete with most in European competition – a quick glance at the results suffered by sides north of the border will remind us all how far we have come. Moving beyond “competing” to “outplaying” may take another decade (or more), but if the likes of Bohs and Cork can get their houses in order (getting regular attendances of 8,000 or so might help - the potential is clearly there), then there can be cause for optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

oldyouth wrote: »
    Didn't see the game but I am disappointed for Bohs and the LOI in general. They have been worthy champions

Do you really believe that??

They are spending money they don't have and paying players as coaches so to try and remain under the 65% wage bracket. Hardly the actions of "worthy" champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sheer heartache.

We did ok in the first half and played a bit. Then, defended far too deep, let them play, and gave them hope. You could see Byrne and Rossiter tire as they pressed again and again down the right, and we had no outlet up front to keep the ball and relieve the pressure, while class players like Deegan were effectively taken out of the game.

It almost worked. To give Red Bull their due, they kept their cool and kept working: there was a phase around 20-10 minutes from time in which they started to panic just a little and the crowd really did seem to get on top of them.

Their penetration and finishing was appalling, and we gifted them the goal through sheer fatigue. Or, rather, whoever in the FAI ordained that Bohs had to play Derry last Sunday gifted them the goal. I have never seen that kind of tiredness show in a Bohs player. The match was lost on a desk in Abbotstown, and not just in Dalymount Park. I don't blame Rossi for the goal - he was out on his feet - and I certainly don't blame Murph.

The outlook for the club now is bleak. We had no right to expect the money that would have come with winning the tie, but we certainly could have done with it. Now, we are going to feel a lot more pain, and will have to rebuild slowly for the long term, as some in the club have been arguing for quite some time.

I feel for the team. I think you really have to love football to be as good as they are and still put up with all the ignorance and contempt that is heaped on them as LoI players. I hope they can keep it together for the second league title in a row, but it will require special motivational skills from Fenlon & Co.

Anyway, thanks to all who came last night who are not Bohs regulars. I saw some Pat's shirts, and one ManUer/covert Hoop wished us well outside the ground. And thanks for the well-wishers on the forum who have more than outbalanced the snide crew who will never give Irish football a chance.

So close.

PS: Good luck to Pat's and Derry.

Looks like bohs are the latest in the line of clubs that spent too much to win the league.
    Bohs, Drogs, Shels and Cork.
    Horrible way to lose to such a scabby goal, must have been a kick in the balls. Shels had it last year when Limerick scored with 93 minutes gone to deny us promotion.

SectionF wrote: »
    Or, rather, whoever in the FAI ordained that Bohs had to play Derry last Sunday gifted them the goal.

Jokeshop.

Like insisting that Rovers fulfill the Sligo tie last week.

When will they learn?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I was in the stand on that side of the pitch, and applauded him for that ball. He didn't kick it to get it away,

In fairness, both him and K Brennan also added nothing to the team. I've
    watched Anto Murphy for a while and lets just say I dont rate the man.

Crowe, Brennan, A Murphy and Rossi (first 15/20 mins then that incident) were awful.

I think WMJ was getting at the fact every half assed get it out of there clearance was cheered by the crowd. In fairness I cheered it on too, anywhere but the box the last 20 mins. Unfortunately it wasnt to be. Gutted.

• Advertisement

oh come on Pats and Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Oh if only Bohs had won :(

Then all LoI grounds would be full this weekend. RTE and SKY would have a bidding war (worth millions) for the rights to show 2 LoI games a week. All the leagues best players would stay here to play their football. On the streets of Dublin, Cork, Galway etc people would be leaving their barstools walking outside the pub taking off the Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic jerseys and burning them in the middle of the street, then they'd be making a bee-line for their nearest sports shop to buy a LoI jersey. JP McManus and other such investors would be racing to buy a Irish club and pump millions into them. Trapatoni would tell the plastic paddys to f*ck off and would be calling Murphy, Healy, Deegan into the Irish squad and not only would we qualify for the world cup but we'd win it. Oh i do lament, if only Bohs had won.

Anto McC wrote: »

Then all LoI grounds would be full this weekend. RTE and SKY would have a bidding war (worth millions) for the rights to show 2 LoI games a week. All the leagues best players would stay here to play their football. On the streets of Dublin, Cork, Galway etc people would be leaving their barstools walking outside the pub taking off the Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic jerseys and burning them in the middle of the street, then they'd be making a bee-line for their nearest sports shop to buy a LoI jersey. JP McManus and other such investors would be racing to buy a Irish club and pump millions into them. Trapatoni would tell the plastic paddys to f*ck off and would be calling Murphy, Healy, Deegan into the Irish squad and not only would we qualify for the world cup but we'd win it. Oh i do lament, if only Bohs had won.
    You're right. It didn't really matter. It was only the Champions' League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Well done Bohs.
    I am a fair weather supporter who shows up twice a season at Dalymount.
    Sat in Connaught Street terrace
    Great crowd.
    Great atmosphere.
    Great football.
    Crap seats.

Its my belief that if grounds were better, people like me would go much more often.

Still , hard luck Bohs.
    I will go this Sunday and hope you hump that other lot.

funny man arent ya

That's the Corinthian spirit, mate.

Ever the romantic, I see,

• Advertisement

Pal wrote: »
    Well done Bohs.
    Great crowd.
    Great atmosphere.
    Great football.
    Crap seats.

Its my belief that if grounds were better, people like me would go much more often.

Still , hard luck Bohs.

Well in all fairness you had to have sat in the worse stand in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well in all fairness you had to have sat in the worse stand in Ireland. the known universe.

:)

Trilla wrote: »
    In fairness, both him and K Brennan also added nothing to the team. I've
    watched Anto Murphy for a while and lets just say I dont rate the man.

Crowe, Brennan, A Murphy and Rossi (first 15/20 mins then that incident) were awful.

I think WMJ was getting at the fact every half assed get it out of there clearance was cheered by the crowd. In fairness I cheered it on too, anywhere but the box the last 20 mins. Unfortunately it wasnt to be. Gutted.

Yeah I wasnt picking on Murphy himself, it was more the attitude. In the first half Bohs passed the ball around and looked more than capable of at least getting the draw.

In the second half they fell back on themselves, gave the ball away and invited pressure. Its a shame because a draw was more than achievable last night.

Agree with the comments about Crowe, he didnt budge all night. Jason Byrne won every ball that came to him in the air. Looked a better option up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Connaught Street is indeed a tiphead unto itself.

Thick spongy moss underfoot, no shelter, half the stand missing, crumbling terrace, breezeblock wall for a toilet and deep muddy puddles to be negotiated on the way out through a narrow alley.

It used actually be worse when they had the sewage problem !

Sadly, that goal cost Bohs about 400k according to today's paper so it might be some time before the third stand in Dalyer gets its long overdue lick of paint.

On the bright side, at least the Rovers will get to sit in it on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Well done Bohs.
    Great crowd.
    Great atmosphere.
    Great football.
    Crap seats.

Still , hard luck Bohs.

Tell me this, how are clubs supposed to improve their facilities if they dont have the support? Bear in mind that Bohemians are League Champions and are €3 Million in Debt. What chance do any of th eother clubs have

• Advertisement

On the bright side, at least the Rovers will get to sit in it on Sunday :)

And the forecast for Sunday...

heavy-rain.jpg

Ah well, it'll be worth it anyway. Must bring cover for the cans of Red Bull though.:cool:

dfx- wrote: »
    Must bring cover for the cans of Red Bull:

There have been some complaints re moss growing on the steps. DDT, Agent Orange, Cillit Bang and the most toxic materials we could find (short of going to Woodies for it) have all failed. But Red Bull might work!

cart_before_horse.png

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

(short of going to Woodies for it)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

By the way, for all the people who were slagging RTE - both RTE and Setanta offered to show the game live, but Bohs refused as they weren't offered any money and they thought it might impact on gate receipts.

Very short-sighted from Bohs. Putting a very small short term gain against possible long term advantages. Your casual soccer fan is unlikely to tune in to the likes of Bohs v Pats as he couldnt give a crap who wins. But an Irish team against a foreign team will always draw viewers. Exposure to European football is by far the easiest way for LoI to expand its fanbase.

Hard luck to Bohs. But I believe I missed a dire match anyway.

But Red Bull might work!

It already has :pac:

Sadly, that goal cost Bohs about 400k according to today's paper so it might be some time before the third stand in Dalyer gets its long overdue lick of paint.

200k was the figure on the radio on Wednesday before the match,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

By the way, for all the people who were slagging RTE - both RTE and Setanta offered to show the game live, but Bohs refused as they weren't offered any money and they thought it might impact on gate receipts.

Very short-sighted from Bohs. Putting a very small short term gain against possible long term advantages. Your casual soccer fan is unlikely to tune in to the likes of Bohs v Pats as he couldnt give a crap who wins. But an Irish team against a foreign team will always draw viewers. Exposure to European football is by far the easiest way for LoI to expand its fanbase.

Hard luck to Bohs. But I believe I missed a dire match anyway.

Bohs need to be short sighted, if they don't get things sorted soon enough they'll be a first division club and in similar trouble to Shelbourne 2 years ago.

Also offering Bohs nothing to show the match is still a disgrace, the Austrians paid €30,000. You'd think the least RTÉ could do is pay the production costs(which Bohs did have to pay) of €12,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Surely it goes without saying that RTE would have to pay production costs if they showed the match? I don't think they'd be expecting Bohs to pay the wages of the camera men, etc.

I had heard of the Setanta offer, but not of the RTE one, and they didn't mention it in their statements. I don't see why a struggling, i.e. any, LoI club should have to do that, especially when huge sums of licence-payers' money are forked out to EPL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement