Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest waterproof wood

Options
  • 20-07-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all,

I want to square up some foundations I dug ( kind of dug them to wide :o )
    Im thinking along the lines of 8x4 sheets of plywood but I think this would be to expensive ( I think I ws chaged nearly 40 eurofor a sheet before )
    Chipboard would be cheap but I dont think it will last in this current rain conditions.

So what are my options, I will need something that will last a week or so in the possibly flooded foundations:confused:

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

previously i've used 4x2's and/or 6x2's for foundations in the middle of winter as the timber was on the strip for 2 nites. it also depends on the depth of concrete. if they were very deep you might have to use marine ply (black surface on it which is used for shuttering) or WBP ply (water & boil proof).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Thanks thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the black surface ply is not suitable for this when the finish is not important. woulf be way too expensive.

do you want to shutter off the wide part?

how much wider is it? it might be cheaper to take the hit on the concrete than spending money on the timber

Martron wrote: »
    the black surface ply is not suitable for this when the finish is not important. woulf be way too expensive.

do you want to shutter off the wide part?

how much wider is it? it might be cheaper to take the hit on the concrete than spending money on the timber

Founds are a good bit off, possibly 1.5 foot or close to that.
    I think ill get some 3 1/4 inch shuttering, 22 euro per sheet. I only need 2 sheets:)

def no need for fancy stuff at all.

save on timber strutting by just backfilling against the ply.

and leave the plywood in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

what about OSB that would be cheaper than shuttering ply again,and would do for the likes of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Would plastic sheeting work ?

Corriboard 10mm thick, , 3050 x 950mm, White Sheet €12 a sheet
    http://www.365plastics.ie/clearance-stock/

I used this and stronger than ply etc and v easy to cut

10mm corriboard?

what supports were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

do you need it to be waterproof ?

get some standard elliottis or shutter ply, about 18/20+vat for 8x4x3/4

with 4x2 support.

coat the ply in some waterproofer, diluted down, this will prevent the concrete sticking to your board and give you a nice clean and smooth edge.

do you need it to be waterproof ?

get some standard elliottis or shutter ply, about 18/20+vat for 8x4x3/4

with 4x2 support.

coat the ply in some waterproofer, diluted down, this will prevent the concrete sticking to your board and give you a nice clean and smooth edge.

I suppose I wont need to waterproof the ply. Its just with all the rain we are having I didnt want a case of the wood warping or loosing strength. Ill use the shutter ply, 22 euro per sheet & 4x2 for support.

P.s Whoever is doing the rain dances could you please stop for a few weeks:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

na you would be sound, best solution

build the shuttering with ply and 4x2
    use the ply, coat it first, just a diluted solution
    cover with some plastic for added protection

if its not going to be too deep you could use some rapid hardener

but foundations just cover over

when dry you can remove the ply, but once its dried you will be sound

the ply will not warp

Advertisement