Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NARGC director's report on the Firearms Act

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I thought no organisation, in this case NTSA, could post on this forum without incurring a €950 charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

I thought no organisation, in this case NTSA, could post on this forum without incurring a €950 charge?

Think you have the wrong end of the stick. In DeVore's post it says "explicitly or to promote their associations standpoint"

Frankly, I find it comical that so many posters on this forum have berated the NGB's for not communicating with members and the shooting world in general that when one of those NGB's actually answers a poster's questions we suddenly have a call to bring in the mod police. :confused:

".......what other body would come on and answer you officially with official information within half an hour of you asking it?........"

It looks very much like he/she is promoting their views to me but then again I am only a hick from the boonies :p

What the NGB's were berated for was the lack of info on the FCP discussions not their inter organisation bickering :)

Can we keep the "practical shooting" vs the "rest of the shooting world" off this thread please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

This thread and the other one (criminal justice misc provisions act 2009)
    seem to be taken oven by arguments about various shooting groups and pratical shooting.
    Most of us have'nt got the foggiest what some of this stuff is all about and it's making the thread very complicated to understand.
    And from the mud slinging and name calling ,it sound almost libelious.
    I know these topics are important to some of you guys so could a new thread be started to dissuss your post mortems and differences.
    These 2 threads need to be left open for the purpose for which they were set up for because they have just turned into a fighting arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Sparks wrote: »
    • I don't think it makes things easier for shooters to have a 3 year EFP rather than a 5 year one
    • A 9-page form, especially if you don't fill in all of it but only bits, is unwieldy; and if it's one form to do everything, is both unwieldy, inefficient, awkward on those processing it and downright wasteful
    • 1000 rounds for a target shooter isn't a good thing, ten times that is the minimum amount needed for a serious rifle shooter (five times if it's air rifle)
    • Being ordered to meet the local clubs twice a year isn't going to guarantee good relations with the local Super. It's an opportunity, but it could go either way depending on how the club handle it
    • Section 2(2B) of the Firearms Act 1925 was removed by the 2006 Criminal Justice Act
    • It *is* a big deal that the Minister can now prohibit firearms, and it was *not* necessary that the mechanism be brought in, the Restricted Firearms mechanism provided all that was required for public safety here

rewind to the meeting in mullingar:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

jwshooter wrote: »
    im reading all this crap now for the last year or more like so many .

iv came to a conclusion the sooner the better all pistols are taken up the better .

this small group and i include myself as i have and pistol over 4 years now .
    have brought sport shooting and hunting to far into the public domain its been so negative on our sport as a hole .

time to cop on

With that attitude dont be surprised if you are back "necking" deer with a single shot .22/250 in the near future.
    Please tell us the actual negativity pistol shooting has had on hunting??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    With that attitude dont be surprised if you are back "necking" deer with a single shot .22/250 in the near future.
    Please tell us the actual negativity pistol shooting has had on hunting??

Lads please don't go down this route. There has been obvious agro between you 2 in recent times.

This thread is about the NARGC directors report on the Firearms Act. I don't see how the discussion of "How pistols shooting has had a negative effect on hunting" really fits here.

Feel free to start a thread, maybe even a poll to see if people agree or disagree with that point. Lets not drag this thread in that direction though and please don't get offensive towards one another. Its been borderline lately.

So if you guys want to take this topic further, start a specific thread (although I dread to think how people will slate each others sports in public) or take it to PM. Is that reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

I have some small queries on the document signed by the Director of NARGC and published here on Boards.

The letter pre dates the signing of the legislation into law, and quoted a document confidential to the Garda Commissioner and Department of Justice & Law Reform, and which was to go to the Attorney General for approval prior to them being issued to An Garda Siochana in general. The guidelines could also not be issued until after the legislation was enacted. How then did it get into the hands of the Director of NARGC to quote to his membership? These documents usually only get to be issued even in draft form to State / Government employees. Perhaps the Director of NARGC IS a State employee?

I thought as per their website, that "The National Association of Regional Game Councils is the largest voluntary organisation in Ireland involved in game shooting and conservation". Am I missing something in that target shooting is not mentioned here? Or maybe they ARE State employees in that they are issuing confidential guidelines, drafting legislation for target shooters, and generally running the whole firearms community?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

I wonder if we ever get an answer from NARGC on this one :-)

Mr Mole wrote: »
    I have some small queries on the document signed by the Director of NARGC and published here on Boards.

The letter pre dates the signing of the legislation into law, and quoted a document confidential to the Garda Commissioner and Department of Justice & Law Reform, and which was to go to the Attorney General for approval prior to them being issued to An Garda Siochana in general. The guidelines could also not be issued until after the legislation was enacted. How then did it get into the hands of the Director of NARGC to quote to his membership? These documents usually only get to be issued even in draft form to State / Government employees. Perhaps the Director of NARGC IS a State employee?

I thought as per their website, that "The National Association of Regional Game Councils is the largest voluntary organisation in Ireland involved in game shooting and conservation". Am I missing something in that target shooting is not mentioned here? Or maybe the ARE State employees in that they are issuing confidential guidelines, drafting legislation for target shooters, and generally running the whole firearms community?

Don't forget NARGC took the High Court case that got pistols back in the first place ;) and they are the largest shooting organisation with over 27,000 members so get over it :p It's called democracy and weight of numbers :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Don't forget NARGC took the High Court case that got pistols back in the first place ;) and they are the largest shooting organisation with over 27,000 members so get over it :p It's called democracy and weight of numbers :cool:

No, it's not democracy, and weight of numbers has nothing to do with it, nor has their court record. It's not right that they're getting stuff they're not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm pretty sure the IFA might question the title of largest shooting organisation given their membership and presence at the FCP table...

Heh Bunny Shooter when I was in school a long while ago we had a guy who had all the weight behind him we called him the "Bully" know any ???

Best way to deal with a bully is to face him down :-) maybe bullies out there should be aware of this old adage, lets hope what goes around comes around ;-)

Have a good day Bunny :-0

128821492370170871.jpg

:D

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the IFA might question the title of largest shooting organisation given their membership and presence at the FCP table...

I reckon many NARGC members are IFA members too :p

How many farmers shoot ISSF ? ;)

No, it's not democracy, and weight of numbers has nothing to do with it, nor has their court record. It's not right that they're getting stuff they're not supposed to.

So it's still "them" and "us" in some organisations? :rolleyes:

Heh Bunny Shooter when I was in school a long while ago we had a guy who had all the weight behind him we called him the "Bully" know any ???

Best way to deal with a bully is to face him down :-) maybe bullies out there should be aware of this old adage, lets hope what goes around comes around ;-)

Have a good day Bunny :-0

:pac: stop ! I'll need stitches ;)

Same as usual Bunny, HUFF & BLUFF & PUFF, but no answers !!!!!!!

Can anyone answer The Moles question ????

I would say there are a few eh Bunny, would you like to try and answer or are you going to blind us again with your wit and pictures, oh hold on you may be in stitches still so best to give you time to close up eh !!!! :p

MM the politics of all this is unbelievable and I am not even involved .............. just an interested observer :( ..................... who knows some of the players ;)

Dont be so sad Bunny :D the rain will stop at some point. Most interested observers tend to be fairly middle of the road or they sit on the fence, they don't tend to be firmly embedded on the other side of the fence !!

I would call somebody who makes exact statements and comments on a particular subject a very interested PARTY ! am I wrong ?

I think we all have a very good idea of the players at this point ;)

Still no answer though, as it is a Saturday lets wait till Monday and see if anybody can help :rolleyes:

ta ta Bunny have a good weekend :P

• Advertisement

Dont be so sad Bunny :D the rain will stop at some point. Most interested observers tend to be fairly middle of the road or they sit on the fence, they don't tend to be firmly embedded on the other side of the fence !!

I is just a simple hick from the boonies :)
    I would call somebody who makes exact statements and comments on a particular subject a very interested PARTY ! am I wrong ?

Probably :p
    I think we all have a very good idea of the players at this point ;)

Still no answer though, as it is a Saturday lets wait till Monday and see if anybody can help :rolleyes:

We have waited this long :D
    ta ta Bunny have a good weekend :P

And you too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lads, will you get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I know of one or two.
    So it's still "them" and "us" in some organisations? :rolleyes:

Nope. Absolutely not. What are you insinuating? None of us are supposed to get this stuff. It's not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Mr Mole wrote: »

I thought as per their website, that "The National Association of Regional Game Councils is the largest voluntary organisation in Ireland involved in game shooting and conservation". Am I missing something in that target shooting is not mentioned here? Or maybe they ARE State employees in that they are issuing confidential guidelines, drafting legislation for target shooters, and generally running the whole firearms community?

there is people in the know there is people that are not .simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

had a quick peruse thorugh the op, how do i go about changing my rifle??

im not a member of any club simply have permission from several farms to shoot over, i dont seem to be covered in this??

............ None of us are supposed to get this stuff. It's not right.

Just because it's not right doesn't mean it doesn't/shouldn't happen ;)

Sparks, can I ask where you recieved the copy of the NARGC report from in the OP?

Wouldn't be Mortgageman, Mr Mole or some of the other disgruntled "Practical Shooting" boys from a certain shooting ground run by a certain chef would it? ;)

I know four. One of them has just climbed Mont Blanc. Farmers aren't the stereotypes portrayed on Glenroe etc.

newby.204 wrote: »
    had a quick peruse thorugh the op, how do i go about changing my rifle??

im not a member of any club simply have permission from several farms to shoot over, i dont seem to be covered in this??
    The same way as before. The only difference is you'll probably have to go through the whole form filling thing now because you can't cross out and scribble in to a credit card.

I'm not sure if there's a seperate form for substitutions, but if not there should be.

• Advertisement

My point about farmers is that most, not all, will be/are more likely to be, members of NARGC than NTSA ;)

Advertisement