Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NARGC director's report on the Firearms Act

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

My point about farmers is that most, not all, will be/are more likely to be, members of NARGC than NTSA ;)
    Agreed :)

Just not all of them OK? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    Agreed :)

Just not all of them OK? ;)

Agreed (this is getting freaky :D) ............... we have to stop agreeing like this, what will people think? :p

Same as usual Bunny, HUFF & BLUFF & PUFF, but no answers !!!!!!!

Don't think so ;)
    Can anyone answer The Moles question ????

Mole wouldn't be holding a grudge over "Practical Pistol" being stopped by any chance and might he see Des as the reason? ;)
    .....I think we all have a very good idea of the players at this point ;)........

Indeed we do .................. PM sent ;)

It's a small world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Now now Bunny :p

Are you starting to take this serious:D I thought you were only a casual observer, was it a HICK you called youself ?

Did you mean to put in Chief or was it Chef lol lol :D

The question still remains unanswered ?, But I do like the way you try and thrown accusations around to deflect the spotlight onto Sparks another old scheme to not answer questions ;)

Talk again soon

ps Your PM was no real benefit as that particular person, as have I, have already disclosed our real names. BUt many thanks for taking the time to write to personally, its nice to know you care :o

Now now Bunny :p

Are you starting to take this serious:D I thought you were only a casual observer, was it a HICK you called youself ?

No :p Life is too short ;) Ya I is only a hick from the boonies.
    Did you mean to put in Chief or was it Chef lol lol :D

It was a "play" on the word chef ;) Did you get it ? :p
    The question still remains unanswered ?,;)

I cannot answer Moles question/s :( Unless, I am Des Crofton of course (...... spooky music ......)
    But I do like the way you try and thrown accusations around to deflect the spotlight onto Sparks another old scheme to not answer questions ;)

I accused nobody. I only asked a question about them. Was I right then? Do Mole and you answer questions? ....................... Are the disgruntled "Practical Shooters" who approached Miss B. Flynn, TD, behind this? Or is it the NARGC keeping it's members updated with proceedings through "Boards.ie"? So many unanswered questions .............................

I would be worried that someone might try and use Sparks to score points off someone else. We're buddies now you know. And he would never do such a thing knowingly :)
    Talk again soon

I'm sure we will :cool:
    ps Your PM was no real benefit as that particular person, as have I, have already disclosed our real names. BUt many thanks for taking the time to write to personally, its nice to know you care :o

I like to know who I'm talking to :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just because it's not right doesn't mean it ... shouldn't happen ;)

Eh, what? That's exactly what it means!

Eh, what? That's exactly what it means!

signs

Here maybe :p

signs

Here maybe :p

No, we don't get to condone under the table dealings just because they happen. Fairness dictates that things are done through the right channels. You're saying that even though it's not right (which you've agreed to) that it should happen anyway (and I don't know how you reconcile that, because it's bollocks).

No, we don't get to condone under the table dealings just because they happen. Fairness dictates that things are done through the right channels. You're saying that even though it's not right (which you've agreed to) that it should happen anyway (and I don't know how you reconcile that, because it's bollocks).

Might not be "under the table"......maybe more your just not invited to that table :)

Whether I agree or not won't stop it happening :(

How naive you are....................oh how I wish I could be like that again :pac:

Might not be "under the table"......maybe more your just not invited to that table :)

Whether I agree or not won't stop it happening :(

How naive you are....................oh how I wish I could be like that again :pac:

It is under the table because it's information not supposed to be released other than to civil servants. I'm not invited to any table, but Des should have been seeing that stuff at the same time I would.

And no, it won't, but you could at least stand up and call it wrong, which it is. Naivete me hole; having principles shouldn't be called naive. In fact, why all of a sudden is it okay to be so ready to bend over and unclench?

• Advertisement

It is under the table because it's information not supposed to be released other than to civil servants. ?

could have been leaked, if it was, to stop it being changed? Once it's in the "public domain" be hard for DOJ to change it, not that I'm saying that's what happened............but there is always a reason for everything, wouldn't you agree? NARGC announced €80 per licence DOJ said it's not agreed yet. Be hard for DOJ to raise it now ;)
    I'm not invited to any table, but Des should have been seeing that stuff at the same time I would.?

Maybe being at the "table" has some privilages you or I don't have? I personally am delighted to have this info NOW, not when it suits DOJ. Seems to me it was posted here to embarrass on Mr. Crofton more than to advive the rest of us mere mortals though :(
    And no, it won't, but you could at least stand up and call it wrong, which it is. Naivete me hole; having principles shouldn't be called naive.?

Principles are fine as long as you can afford (not necessarily just in the monetary way either;)) them :P
    In fact, why all of a sudden is it okay to be so ready to bend over and unclench?

BOHICA ! sometimes punching the wall breaks your knuckles and the wall just don't feel the pain in the same way you do ;)

Do you see what I mean grasshopper :)

could have been leaked, if it was, to stop it being changed? Once it's in the "public domain" be hard for DOJ to change it, not that I'm saying that's what happened............but there is always a reason for everything, wouldn't you agree?

Not necessarily a good, just or right one, which is the problem.
    Principles are fine as long as you can afford (not necessarily just in the monetary way either;)) them :P

Nah, don't go in for this either. There's a balance to be struck between pragmatism and principles, but in this case, it's point scoring, there's no pragmatism, and to say nothing is a sore hole and nothing to show for it as far as I'm concerned.
    BOHICA ! sometimes punching the wall breaks your knuckles and the wall just don't feel the pain in the same way you do ;)

Do you see what I mean grasshopper :)

True, and I've a few funny knuckles from that, but I'll hit the fooker again, I know that much. :p

Not necessarily a good, just or right one, which is the problem.

In your opinion and relevant to your position but maybe not in someone elses opinion or position?
    Nah, don't go in for this either. There's a balance to be struck between pragmatism and principles, but in this case, it's point scoring, there's no pragmatism, and to say nothing is a sore hole and nothing to show for it as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, in a perfect world, which we do not or will never live in due to human nature being what it is, just as in Orwell's "Animal Farm" :(

Do tell me more about this "point scoring"............
    True, and I've a few funny knuckles from that, but I'll hit the fooker again, I know that much. :p

Should see the state of my knuckles :) I'd knee the wall if my hands were too sore ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

could have been leaked, if it was, to stop it being changed? Once it's in the "public domain" be hard for DOJ to change it, not that I'm saying that's what happened............but there is always a reason for everything, wouldn't you agree? NARGC announced €80 per licence DOJ said it's not agreed yet. Be hard for DOJ to raise it now ;)
    The Commissioner's guidelines are the prerogative of the Garda Commissioner, not the Department of Justice and the licence fee is the prerogative of the Department of Finance, it being an excise duty.

But carry on ;)

rrpc wrote: »
    The Commissioner's guidelines are the prerogative of the Garda Commissioner, not the Department of Justice and the licence fee is the prerogative of the Department of Finance, it being an excise duty.

But carry on ;)

True................It's all in the small details, isn't it :P

Sure ya know what I mean :)

Ah Bunny, Ah Bunny, Ah Bunny !!

Many thanks for your swift reply :D, I hope you didn't sit at the computer for 6 hours just waiting for me to write a post so you could respond so fast :pand I hope you are not still sitting there waiting for this email, but alas it wouldn't surprise :o I feel so privileged.

Now to business, are you PRO for Mr Crofton as you call him !!!!

You have publically stated here that you can't answer any questions, that you are a HICK who just wants to watch from the sidelines, you have then gone on to state that you agree if a group or person in a community wants to screw over other associations or groups within the community it is ok, in your eye's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just because as you say, that group or association haven't been given information in a timely manner.

I have asked you before do you believe that you are a true shooter or sportsman, are you posting for the betterment or good of the community, I would ask you to reflect on this question before you jump in with any more :psmart arse posts. You are obviously very educated and better than all us poor mortals here in the shooting community :cool: should we now all bow to you all mighty one :rolleyes: LONG LIVE THE FENCE SITTERS WHO HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY AFTER THE FACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You the man Bunny, you the man lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks, can I ask where you recieved the copy of the NARGC report from in the OP?
    From an NARGC member who got it from the Mullingar meeting BS.
    Wouldn't be Mortgageman, Mr Mole or some of the other disgruntled "Practical Shooting" boys from a certain shooting ground run by a certain chef would it? ;)
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

All in all a good report. I note the meaningful discussions ended around page 4 before it delved into the slagging matches. Its wait and see now how it go's. Dont see any skillduggery either with the report, Des Crofton often writes articles in the ISD, based on reports and notices that he prepares. These are often passed from RGC secretaies to club secretaries for information purposes.

Join the NARGC if you dont want to be left out of the information loop......

(moving swiftly into the hunting forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dont see any skillduggery either with the report, Des Crofton often writes articles in the ISD, based on reports and notices that he prepares.
    You don't see something odd in a confidential Garda document turning up in a public report given by an NGO?

Aren't guidelines not sent out to interested parties for comment?

There is nothing earth shattering or off the wall in what was stated? common sense approach i thought

• Advertisement

Ah Bunny, Ah Bunny, Ah Bunny !!

Mr. Bunny will do.....................
    Many thanks for your swift reply :D, I hope you didn't sit at the computer for 6 hours just waiting for me to write a post so you could respond so fast :pand I hope you are not still sitting there waiting for this email, but alas it wouldn't surprise :o I feel so privileged.

Only when I'm stuck at work, great job this, loads of time to kill and where better to do it
    Now to business, are you PRO for Mr Crofton as you call him !!!!

Ah, no :p And it's only respectful to call him Mr Crofton, same as I would refer to you as Mr Mortgageman
    You have publically stated here that you can't answer any questions, that you are a HICK who just wants to watch from the sidelines,

I can only answer questions I am in a position to answer
    you have then gone on to state that you agree if a group or person in a community wants to screw over other associations or groups within the community it is ok, in your eye's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just because as you say, that group or association haven't been given information in a timely manner.

Don't quite see how you have come to this conclusion :confused: Please elaborate ?
    I have asked you before do you believe that you are a true shooter or sportsman,

By your defination or mine ?
    are you posting for the betterment or good of the community,

I presume you mean shooting community? I'm a democrat, majority rules, even if I'm in the minority, can you say the same?
    I would ask you to reflect on this question before you jump in with any more :psmart arse posts.

Smart arse is one description, depending on your point of view
    You are obviously very educated and better than all us poor mortals here in the shooting community :cool: should we now all bow to you all mighty one :rolleyes:

Being "well educated" is vastly over-rated. Open minded, witty, humourous, straight talking, loyal, honest and sensible would be better descriptions of me :) and I am merely a hick from the boonies :) please do not bow as it would only embarrass me :o
    LONG LIVE THE FENCE SITTERS WHO HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY AFTER THE FACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or they merely observe and make their own conclusions after carefully considering both sides and making an informed decision :)
    You the man Bunny, you the man lol

Not really, but if you think so, well that is your right ;)

Talk soon ..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I'm a democrat, majority rules, even if I'm in the minority, can you say the same?

I thought we were in a republic - where the governing of such is judged by the ability of the republic to protect it's minorities in the face of an overly bullying majority?

Sorry - that was just a pipe dream - we are in an oligarchy of incompetents - now was I talking about just the shooting community or the country as whole?

B'Man

Another great reply Bunny, many thanks again :p as usual very helpful and too the point :p

As you have already stated you have no ability or knowledge to answer any questions raised ref shooting, I can only say one thing in the words immmortalised by the tv programme The Weakest Link " Goodbye " :D

ps. Hope your employer is happy with you using his time, assets & money for your hobby ;) I think that most employers have a clause in contracts about using the internet for anything other than work !!!

ps. Hope your employer is happy with you using his time, assets & money for your hobby ;) I think that most employers have a clause in contracts about using the internet for anything other than work !!!

Tisk tisk very petty, is someone throwing the dolls out of the cot

Bananaman wrote: »
    I thought we were in a republic - where the governing of such is judged by the ability of the republic to protect it's minorities in the face of an overly bullying majority?

So your idea of a Republic is minority rules? What you are advocating is that the minorities view/s should be upheld despite the majorities decison/s to the contrary?
    Sorry - that was just a pipe dream - we are in an oligarchy of incompetents - now was I talking about just the shooting community or the country as whole?

No it's not a pipe dream. We live in a democracy not an oligarchy, in a democracy majority rules. Your organisation (Practcal Shooting?) democratically agreed to disband. The democratically elected government of this country have "banned" practical shooting.

You obviously feel hard done by. You have two choices, get political and shooting support and change the law or live with it :)

This forum is for shooting related issues not general politics, therefore, I have to assume your reference to "an oligarchy of incompetents " is referring to those within the shooting community. While I don't think they got everything we as a shooting community wanted they have done much better than I anticipated they would. There were some casualties, namely Practical Shooting, which was demanded by DOJ and/or the Minister, not the other shooting organisations. However, there could have been more. Namely, ALL pistols could have been "banned"

Another great reply Bunny, many thanks again :p as usual very helpful and too the point :p

My pleasure :)
    As you have already stated you have no ability or knowledge to answer any questions raised ref shooting,

Ya, just a hick from da boonies me ;)
    I can only say one thing in the words immmortalised by the tv programme The Weakest Link " Goodbye " :D

Do you watch it to test your general knowledge or because your fascinated by Ann's bad attitude :)

My work gets done, and before it's due, which is all he cares about, I don't use his assets or money to access the internet and I am not violating any clauses of my contract of employment. I'm sure he would appreciate your concern though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I got the moderator application in the door this morning, its says its a 1 year licence. Can this be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Your organisation (Practcal Shooting?) democratically agreed to disband.

Assume you mean IPSA - not my organisation - although I was a member - as you had to be in order to represent Ireland.
    I am a member of many other organisations. Whereas IPSA was far from perfect it did disband when it's members voted to do so.

That vote was made under duress of a threat from Mr. Crofton that if it did not happen that all handgun licenses would be revoked so the membership voted to disband for the good of the other sports.

Des has told me that he did not threaten the IPSA but that is what they said at the EGM and why the members voted to disband. I have conflicting reports from him and IPSA but I will leave it to the paperwork to state the facts as I am neither party. Are you?

When the SSAI voted a certain individual out of his position it had no effect on his representation of the shooting community so don't sell democracy in the shooting associations to me - what a crock.

There is an inherent need on the part of many, some of whom post here, such as yourself, to continually focus on 'practical shooting'. I don't understand it. Were you ever involved in the orgainsation that ran it? Did you achieve a competion license? Did you partake in any competitions?
    if not then you, and many other posters on this board who did not do so either, do not know what you are talking about but have had your opinions provided to you and told when to state them.

Agreed, it is one of the casualties of this bill, but it is but one. Pistol shooting, on the whole, is a casualty of this bill. It remains to be seen what else will fall before the Ministers new sickle when it is finally swung.

Those of us that do shoot IPSC do so as we believe it to be the most challenging and enjoyable of the pistol shooting sports.
    Not to the detriment of the other pistol shooting sport.
    I have shot every discipline going and some rang my bell while others did not.

Some were, to quote another poster 'like watching paint dry' but we have all had to watch paint dry once or twice so why not - everyone to their own. That is why I cannot understand the need for so many people to give a negative opinion of the sport of IPSC. It is like saying that Electric cars are going to lead to the downfall of society and the untold deaths of cyclists - nobody has seen one or driven one yet they are experts.

Anyway, I await the new results of the new Hammer and Sickle, of course it will be the fault of 'practical shooting' when he pulls the fullbore rifles, pump actions shotguns and bod knows what else (note: no blasphemy) but we always knew that......... because the experts told us so.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That vote was made under duress of a threat from Mr. Crofton that if it did not happen that all handgun licenses would be revoked so the membership voted to disband for the good of the other sports.

Not that we get much thanks for doing so...

There is an inherent need on the part of many, some of whom post here, such as yourself, to continually focus on 'practical shooting'. I don't understand it. Were you ever involved in the orgainsation that ran it? Did you achieve a competion license? Did you partake in any competitions?
    if not then you, and many other posters on this board who did not do so either, do not know what you are talking about but have had your opinions provided to you and told when to state them.

Old German saying on this and it applies here
    "The peasent wont eat what he doesnt know."

Always felt this was done ass over tit here.We should have been doing this with shotgun and even smallbore .22 years ago .So when pistol came back,it would have been established and recognised and no big deal..
    Even pointed this out a couple of years ago on boards here,that shotgun should have been pushed more as an attractor to the sport.As it was easier to liscense a pump or semi shotgun than a pistol.
    Well,if we want to continue it here we are down to airsoft now[as I predicted in 08 on Boards ] In a way great,as we could encourage more people into it,as three airsoft guns[shotgun,rifle,pistol] cost less than a single custom pistol.Train with airsoft,then when going out of Ireland,have ,beg,borrow or steal the real thing to use in the competitions.Life hands you lemons,make lemonade from them.
    Anyway, I await the new results of the new Hammer and Sickle, of course it will be the fault of 'practical shooting' when he pulls the fullbore rifles, pump actions shotguns and bod knows what else (note: no blasphemy) but we always knew that......... because the experts told us so.
    Yeah,and will those self same "experts" be doing anything to gaurd the loss of the next items...Unless it directly impinges on them not likely..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Assume you mean IPSA - not my organisation - although I was a member - as you had to be in order to represent Ireland.
    I am a member of many other organisations. Whereas IPSA was far from perfect it did disband when it's members voted to do so.

If you were a member your were in the organisation

Threat came from DOJ/Minister according to an article in the ISD which has never been challenged by DOJ/Minister therefore, safe to assume it is true.
    Des has told me that he did not threaten the IPSA but that is what they said at the EGM and why the members voted to disband. I have conflicting reports from him and IPSA but I will leave it to the paperwork to state the facts as I am neither party. Are you?

Wasn't at IPSA AGM and have seen no written report or written revocation from IPSA about Des's claim.
    When the SSAI voted a certain individual out of his position it had no effect on his representation of the shooting community so don't sell democracy in the shooting associations to me - what a crock.

Who is this referring to?

I shot practical, was a member of IPSA therefore I do know something about it ;) As for being someones puppet, it's because I'm not that we are even having this discussion ;)
    Agreed, it is one of the casualties of this bill, but it is but one. Pistol shooting, on the whole, is a casualty of this bill. It remains to be seen what else will fall before the Ministers new sickle when it is finally swung.

I agree with you on that. Things will get worse I reckon BUT only if people give DOJ/Minister the chance to justify further bans
    Those of us that do shoot IPSC do so as we believe it to be the most challenging and enjoyable of the pistol shooting sports.
    Not to the detriment of the other pistol shooting sport.
    I have shot every discipline going and some rang my bell while others did not.

I do so hope that "......Those of us that do shoot IPSC.........." is a misprint :( or as per my previous statement in this reply I fear "Things will get worse I reckon BUT only if people give DOJ/Minister the chance to justify further bans".

I too have shot many disciplines and enjoyed them all, some more than otthers, same as you.
    Some were, to quote another poster 'like watching paint dry' but we have all had to watch paint dry once or twice so why not - everyone to their own. That is why I cannot understand the need for so many people to give a negative opinion of the sport of IPSC. It is like saying that Electric cars are going to lead to the downfall of society and the untold deaths of cyclists - nobody has seen one or driven one yet they are experts.

Each to their own IMO but obviously the DOJ/Minister don't see it that way :(

B'Man

No, It will be the DOJ's, Garda Commissioners and/or Ministers fault :)

Advertisement