Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coasting question

• 20-07-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi i have my driving test on friday fonthill 3rd time lucky hopefully..- I heard romours that coasting coming up to roundabouts etc is not an offence anymore! is this correct any1 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Hi i have my driving test on friday fonthill 3rd time lucky hopefully..- I heard romours that coasting coming up to roundabouts etc is not an offence anymore! is this correct any1 ?

Fonthill has been closed since April, are you sure you have an appointment for here?
    You will get marked for coasting whether it's at a roundabout or junctions etc. Make sure the clutch only goes down at the last moment and don't go into neutral while the car's moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I heard romours that coasting coming up to roundabouts etc is not an offence anymore! is this correct any1 ?

Coasting is not a good idea ever. I think the rumour you heard was just that - a rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Usually the golden rule of driving is you should only ever be accelerating/maintaining speed or braking/stopped. Never in limbo between the two(i.e. coasting) as technically your not in full control of your speed.

same way you always put the handbrake on before going into neutral, never the other way round as you technically don't have control for that brief few seconds from when the car goes into neutral to when the handbrake is engaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

hobochris wrote: »
    Usually the golden rule of driving is you should only ever be accelerating/maintaining speed or braking/stopped. Never in limbo between the two(i.e. coasting) as technically your not in full control of your speed.

That's not coasting. Allowing the car to slow down by coming off the gas is not only an acceptable way of slowing down, it's actually a feature of advanced driving. Coasting occurs when you drive with the clutch pressed down for too long.

Advertisement