Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet connection through Belkin wireless router

Options
  • 20-07-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi!

I have a problem that I just can't get my head around.

I currently have a Zyxel cable modem, which is connected with an ethernet cable to my laptop. This works without any problems.

Now, I would like to attach another computer to my network wirelessly, so I bought a Belking Wireless G Router (Model F5D7230-4).

My Zyxel cable modem is attached via an ethernet cable to the Belkin's "Modem" input. I've connected my computer with an ethernet cable to one of the four ports on the Belkin.

I can connect perfectly to the Belkin's IP address to change settings, both with a cable and wirelessly. The problem is that the Belkin doesn't have an Internet connection! In the top right it says: "Internet status: Not connected".

When setting up the Internet settings in the Belkin router, I've chosen Dynamic. The thing is, I just want the Belkin to work as a switch...

I tried turning off DHCP in the Belkin, and plugged the Zyxel to one of the four ports - and then it works properly, as long as I'm connected with a cable. However, without DHCP active, I can't connect wirelessly.

Does someone have any advice on what I could do to fix this? Any help would be immensely appreciated!!

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Am I right in saying you now have 2 modem connected in series.? Loose the old one and try setting up the Belkin only.
    Or disable the modem in the Belkin and connect the two via their lan ports.

Sham

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Berrern wrote: »
    Hi!

I have a problem that I just can't get my head around.

I currently have a Zyxel cable modem, which is connected with an ethernet cable to my laptop. This works without any problems.

Now, I would like to attach another computer to my network wirelessly, so I bought a Belking Wireless G Router (Model F5D7230-4).

My Zyxel cable modem is attached via an ethernet cable to the Belkin's "Modem" input. I've connected my computer with an ethernet cable to one of the four ports on the Belkin.

I can connect perfectly to the Belkin's IP address to change settings, both with a cable and wirelessly. The problem is that the Belkin doesn't have an Internet connection! In the top right it says: "Internet status: Not connected".

When setting up the Internet settings in the Belkin router, I've chosen Dynamic. The thing is, I just want the Belkin to work as a switch...

I tried turning off DHCP in the Belkin, and plugged the Zyxel to one of the four ports - and then it works properly, as long as I'm connected with a cable. However, without DHCP active, I can't connect wirelessly.

Does someone have any advice on what I could do to fix this? Any help would be immensely appreciated!!

Thanks in advance..

The cable modem should be connected to the WAN/modem port on the router. With it connected to a LAN port, the Belkin just acts like a switch and passes the DHCP request from your PC to the modem instead. You need the router set so it acts as a DHCP client to the modem, and collects an address from UPC that way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Who is your isp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Berrern

Thanks for your replies guys! It's highly appreciated.
    Shamrogue wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you now have 2 modem connected in series.? Loose the old one and try setting up the Belkin only.
    Or disable the modem in the Belkin and connect the two via their lan ports.

Yes, you are right.
    I can't disable the old one, as it's automatically configured by the ISP, and I can't even log into it. The ISP wont disclose the details for using a different router, they require that I use the one they sent me...
    Spear wrote: »
    The cable modem should be connected to the WAN/modem port on the router. With it connected to a LAN port, the Belkin just acts like a switch and passes the DHCP request from your PC to the modem instead. You need the router set so it acts as a DHCP client to the modem, and collects an address from UPC that way.

Yes.. Because if I plug the cable modem in the LAN port on the Belkin, and the Belkin DHCP is activated (which it has to be, otherwise I can't connect to it wirelessly), I think the routers 'collide', as they both try to give eachother an IP.
    But - when I plug the cable modem into the 'Modem' port on the Belkin, the Belkin doesn't recognize it, i.e. it says 'No connection'.

Here is a screenshot of the 'Internet' section of my router setup, where I chose Dynamic: http://www.stormskritt.com/onkelartig/a1.jpg
    dub45 wrote: »
    Who is your isp?

TeliaSonera AB, in Sweden.

I hope you guys can help me a little further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

if your using windows vista:

click the internet icon (usually at the bottom right corner in app, click 'network and sharing centre', click 'view devices', click the one icon, change ipv4 settings to 'identfy automaticly' press ok.

now go to your modem, router. connect the modem via (ethernet wire RJ45) to the router slot: connection from modem. then connect your laptop via wire (if possible) and view the settings for router. it should work now.

if it doesn't, i dunno..

btw: for the type of connection, if your connection is from the phoneline (DSL, ADSL), choose PPPoE

• Advertisement
Advertisement