Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tea Stop, Portsalon, Donegal

Options
  • 20-07-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am so angry. We were on a drive around the Fanad penisula today and fancied a cuppa. The above was well signposted, so when we came across it, it seemed ideal for a small snack.

For tea for 2, scones and a few fingers of cheddar cheese and chutney, we paid 20 Euros! Yes. you heard right - 20 Euros.

The proprietor charged 3 Euro for each tea and 7 for the scones + cheese. The scones were shop bought cheapies and the cheese was much the same. Bleh!

Dont even think about it if you're in the vicinity. :P
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tarmoll wrote: »
    I am so angry. We were on a drive around the Fanad penisula today and fancied a cuppa. The above was well signposted, so when we came across it, it seemed ideal for a small snack.

For tea for 2, scones and a few fingers of cheddar cheese and chutney, we paid 20 Euros! Yes. you heard right - 20 Euros.

The proprietor charged 3 Euro for each tea and 7 for the scones + cheese. The scones were shop bought cheapies and the cheese was much the same. Bleh!

Did you perchance happen to read the menu before you ordered the stuff? I would have laughed insanely in the doorway and driven away at great speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tarmoll

The git just had A4 sheets around the walls with what was on offer - not a price in sight.

Would that it was that easy poster. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Rip off prices to be sure but why on earth did you pay them? Dont like the price then just walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tarmoll

Bah. I've done what I think is the next best thing without actually skirting prosecution. That is - broadcast the scam and shame the proprietor.

I thought this thread was to highlight rip-offs? Not berate the victim for being ripped off? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Bah. I've done what I think is the next best thing without actually skirting prosecution. That is - broadcast the scam and shame the proprietor.

I thought this thread was to highlight rip-offs? Not berate the victim for being ripped off? :p

you did right by posting this and unfortunately this tea shop is probably
    only one of many that rips us off daily...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hard Shaw

Fcuk all these **** bogger tourist 'tea houses' and restaurants. It's always the same, maximum price for poor produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

Well said. Thanks for the heads up. You got done a few quid each by the proprietor once. You wont be back, and anyone who reads this will think twice.

There is a moral high-ground element on here who enjoy ensuring what was reported is technically a rip-off in the narrow specific meaning of the phrase (that you saw the price, and when you were asked to pay, you were charged a higher price) rather than the broader, every day meaning of the phrase, that you were charged an extortionately high price for the service that was provided.

But again, thanks. The more of these reports the better. I, for one, value them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Morgans wrote: »
    Well said. Thanks for the heads up. You got done a few quid each by the proprietor once. You wont be back, and anyone who reads this will think twice.

There is a moral high-ground element on here who enjoy ensuring what was reported is technically a rip-off in the narrow specific meaning of the phrase (that you saw the price, and when you were asked to pay, you were charged a higher price) rather than the broader, every day meaning of the phrase, that you were charged an extortionately high price for the service that was provided.

But again, thanks. The more of these reports the better. I, for one, value them.

The problem is that we own a tea-shop in Donegal, and we're not doing very well.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Plenty of cafes in donegal offering great value. The cafe in moville pottery serves great coffee & snacks and I know it was well under a tenner for coffee & cake for 2.

I have a very simple rule for any restaurant / coffee shop. If prices are not displayed, then they're hiding something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bogview

Thanks for the warning...This place is a sequel to Matt the threshers birdhill variety ripp off. The must all have the same hand book. Robbery without violence:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

you are very lucky that you didn't have a child drinking coke. this place has been at this for as long as i can remember and getting away with conning strangers and destroying the reputation of the whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if he really did have no prices up then he might be the one eligible for prosecution.

the law
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0213.html

the dumbed down version.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full%20List/Food.html
    Where the establishment consists solely of one or more food outlets, the notice must be displayed immediately outside or inside the entrance.

However, where some other business is carried on (e.g. retail selling), the notice is to be displayed immediately outside or inside the entrance to the catering area.

In the case of a hotel or public house, the notice can be displayed either at the entrance to the premises or at the entrance to the catering area.

Restaurants and other eating establishments also have to display prices on their menus. If you don't give out individual menus, you will need a clear display in the room, such as a blackboard.

The price list must indicate if there is

A minimum charge
    A service charge - and whether this is included in the price of the food
    A cover charge or any similar charge
    If you charge different prices at different times or days, the price display should specify these different prices and what items they relate to.

If you fail to have a price display, or charge more than the price displayed, you may be in breach of the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ive heard about this place, it has a really bad name. I know to stay clear of it but unfortunately most tourists to the area get caught out. Shame on the owners.

Advertisement