Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising on Live

• 20-07-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Just saw on Kotaku an example of the new advertising that MS are bringing to xbox live. It seems pretty fecking annoying.

Does anyone know if this is just for silver users or if gold will have to sit through them as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Last i heard, it's for everyone to endure, gold & silver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I find that shocking if true... I don't have any form of live, or internet for my xbox360. If they were to advertise, I'd much rather silver got them so they can play online. Maybe one advert every hour/day or something... I hope Gold users don't have to face ads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Ah crap, it'll just make the dash run slower and with more lag than before, pain in the ass tbh. :mad:

That said if it makes gold membership cheaper/free i could learn to live with it!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

How often do you sit and stare at the dashboard though? As long as I don't have to watch an ad before the game loads up, I don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I opposed the new dashboard before it even came out. Now you have Microc0ck shoving ads down your throat. As if the dashboard update was ever meant for anything but this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it looks small, inoffensive and easy to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

it looks small, inoffensive and easy to ignore.

That's more or less my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i would totally disagree with that. It takes up a quarter of the screen and has audio. At this stage it's not known if it can be navigated away from or ignored and if they're thinking of foisting this on people that pay €60 a year for their service it's just a bit too money grabbing imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not impressed with this. Not surprised, but not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I'm not shocked by it either. It doesn't look that bad, I'd easily be able to put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

If it works out that you have to watch before a game loads, especially as a gold member, I'll be quite annoyed. If they're getting funding through commercials, then only silver members should be forced to watch it. They receive funds from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Years from now your game will have an unskippable pause every ten minutes to show ads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Luckily my 360 isnt powerful enough to play these ads.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Gets worse looks like their gna have an advertising space for your avatars aswell
    MS Patents Ad space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

This wouldn't annoy me so much if it meant Live would be made free.

I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

grizzly wrote: »
    Years from now your game will have an unskippable pause every ten minutes to show ads. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me at all the way it's going! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I don't mind unintrusive ads but the Gold members should be able to opt out. Most online services you sign up to allow you to block ads if you pay a premium.

And the dash can be pretty slow at the mo. Larger ads won't help.

Advertisement