Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Taxi drivers" and "Bouncers" in Ennis

• 20-07-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

A couple of months ago a friend and I were in Knoxs. It was a Wednesday night and we got drinking with an off duty bouncer who works various places around town. We all had a good night and said our goodbyes at the end of it all.

So at the start of July my friend was out on a Thursday night. She was in Cruises and at the end of the night she hailed a taxi down. The taxi stopped and was waiting a couple of minutes while she turned around to call her friends to come out. Just as she turned the taxi driver drove off and in doing so rolled over her foot. An ambulance was called but they said it wasn't too serious so she went away home. Against the advice of friends she took no action against the taxi driver.

A week later she was out again and got into Cruises with no problem at all.

So last Thursday she was out with friends from work. She was walking towards Cruises when our friend from a couple of months ago steps to her and says "can I have a word?" She duly obliged only to be informed that she wasn't going to be let in because they "don't like attention being brought to the place". She tried to argue her point to no avail. So she did the obvious thing and walked away with her friends towards the Queens. A bouncer met her about ten yards from the door and says "not tonight love!" So she asked why and was told not to push it, just go home.

As she says herself she wouldnt mind if she was drunk but she was fairly sober. She'd only been out since 10.30. She'd been let in since the incident with her foot so it made no sense for there to be a problem all of a sudden.

I've had similar experiences with so called "security" staff around town. Its as if they randomly pick someone to stop regardless of their state. And of course if you argue the point, your seen as being aggressive towards staff.

When are these louts going to cop on to themselves and realise that all they are is bouncers, not the first and last line of defense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The Queens/Cruises/Front Bar have their own in-house security, which is separate from every other pub in town which use SSE. They don't have the same training or certs the lads with SSE do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

CptSternn wrote: »
    The Queens/Cruises/Front Bar have their own in-house security, which is separate from every other pub in town which use SSE. They don't have the same training or certs the lads with SSE do.

I'd doubt it, anyone who works in security for anything these days has to be licensed by the P.S.A. according to the Private Security Services Act 2004

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2004/a1204.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Licensed or not, is it actually too much to ask that they just do their job instead of randomly picking people out of the crowd for petty reasons? What pub in its right mind these days actually stops people coming in because of an incident that happened off the premises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Licensed or not, is it actually too much to ask that they just do their job instead of randomly picking people out of the crowd for petty reasons? What pub in its right mind these days actually stops people coming in because of an incident that happened off the premises?

Funny enough I would hope that people are stopped if they are seen misbehaving out on the street. There is another post on here about someone getting attacked outside O'Keefe's and I would hope the doormen there would note the individuals involved.
    If your 'friend' feels harshly treated as for the Manager and get a specific reason for being refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Just go drink somewhere else. Getting turned away by bouncers is a fact of life. It hasn't happened to me in a few years but I recently got thrown out for no reason (flicked a cigarette butt near someones foot in a beer garden). Best thing to do is just not cause any fuss and leave because the bouncer won't recall it next week.

It's a pretty crap job, you're standing around in the cold, one I know got hit over the head with a pint bottle of bulmers one night. If I was a bouncer I'd be bloody cranky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

croker95 wrote: »
    Funny enough I would hope that people are stopped if they are seen misbehaving out on the street. There is another post on here about someone getting attacked outside O'Keefe's and I would hope the doormen there would note the individuals involved.
    If your 'friend' feels harshly treated as for the Manager and get a specific reason for being refused.

Fair enough if someone is misbehaving, but its hardly their fault if a taxi drives over their foot. I do take your point though about talking to the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Talking to the manager is always the best route in this kind of situation. I had a similar problem down in Steeles a few months back. The bouncer on the door happened to work at my regular, and for some reason always gave me hassle (checking my ID every week, questioning me all the time etc etc) even though I'd been going regularly enough that he would recognize me. Down in Steeles he decided to take it to the next level and refused to let me in. I was stone cold sober, I was dressed up more than enough for that place and was literally only going in for a few minutes to wish a friend of mine a happy birthday. The other bouncer on the door took my side, and when the guy who refused to let me in went inside to deal with some hassle, this much nicer bouncer went to fetch the manager, who was very apologetic and assured me a wouldn't have any hassle from that bouncer again (which I haven't, regardless of where he happens to work). A bouncers job depends on reputation, and if a manager doesn't like him he won't work at their pub, simple as.

Advertisement