Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-letting rooms in a house - tax implications?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Hi..

Suppose I was to rent a 4 bed house from a landlord for £1200 per month and went on to sublet the 3 spare bedrooms for (for the sake of argument, £500 each).

Are there income tax implications for me? Are there declarations I need to make to the tax man even if I won't have to pay income tax? Do I need to register with any government agency in order to be able to do this? Are there any other issues that you know of that render me responsible/liable to the government in any way?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

It's extremely unlikely you'll rent the rooms collectively for more than you're paying the landlord. Simply put them on the lease, divide up the rent evenly and then there are no tax implicatons for you whatsoever since the money is going to go to the landlord.

The more people you're sharing with the less people expect to pay for obvious reasons. In the current market 500 isn't that far off a single bed apartment and that's what you're competing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

sharper wrote: »
    It's extremely unlikely you'll rent the rooms collectively for more than you're paying the landlord. Simply put them on the lease, divide up the rent evenly and then there are no tax implicatons for you whatsoever since the money is going to go to the landlord.

The more people you're sharing with the less people expect to pay for obvious reasons. In the current market 500 isn't that far off a single bed apartment and that's what you're competing with.

Thanks Sharper.

The figures are notional for the purposes of investigating the tax consequences.

Suppose for a moment that a landlord doesn't want the hassle of finding new tenants every time someone in 4 bed house moves on. And so they let to one person at reduced rate, letting the that person sub-let and make some money for doing so.

I would have thought income of any description means you would have to have some dealings - if only making a tax return regarding that income - with Revenue.

N'est ce pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

You might be able to put the income down under the rent a room scheme. It's usually for people who own their own place but it might apply to you. The best thing to do is ring the revenue and see what they say.

Advertisement