Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Groom wedding wear - slim fit - to buy

• 20-07-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to buy a shirt, waistcoat & tie for my wedding (which is in 2 weeks:eek:)

Deciding not to rent - I went out and bought a suit a few months back.....It has only just dawned on me that I also need to buy a top quaity shirt & tie (& possibly a waistcoat to match - if I go that route).

After researcing the net I've come up with a shortlist 3 mens-wear shops in Dublin that I think will suit my needs (pun intended) - Blacktie, Louis Copeland & Best Menswear.

But i'm a very slim build and it was so much trouble getting a suit to fit me (in the end I found one but even then it had to be altered slightly) that i'm afraid I'll have similar trouble trying to get a shirt that fits.

The problem is I'm quite busy at the moment and haven't got much time to visit the various stores (have probably got max 1 full day to shop) - so was hoping someone with a bit of knowledge of formal menswear could point me in the right direction.

I don't mind travelling anywhere in the greater Dublin region - and would prefer somewhere that I can get plenty of advice, etc as I haven't decided on style, colour yet. So the shop assistant would have to be willing to give me a half-hour to one hour of their time. In my mind that would rule out the big department stores as they seem to be very impersonal there.

Obviously I'd like somewhere that offers relatively good value too - but I can't be too fussey at this stage & the most important thing is for me to find something - so am willing to splash out a few quid extra if need be.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Hi Paddy. I appreciate that it's a purchase for the big day and all the baggage that goes with it, but buying a good quality shirt and a decent tie need not be a testing (not to mention day-long) saga. Indeed, you're much more likely to get a slim-fitting shirt in a department store or high street shop that you are in the likes of Louis Copeland. The latter type of outlet tend to have a relatively limited range, by and large stock the same products as everyone else, and can and will flog you anything when it comes to shirts, depending on what assistant you get. I have (foolishly) walked out of Louis Copeland with a €100 shirt which fitted nothing but my neck, with the rest of the garment floating on me like an altar boy's vestment.

Frankly you can't do much better than a tailored and fitted €50 shirt from Zara of a quality fabric, a double cuff, medium spread collar and pleated back. Not only will you get the fit you want, you'll get a broad range too - and save a fortune.

By all accounts get advice on a tie in a menswear shop if you feel that would help. Indeed go into town wearing the suit, buy the shirt and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

After years of searching I found Olymp slim fit shirts. They are good quality and come in single or double cuff. You don't need a waistcoat in summer.
    Lastly if you care at all about your partner then forego the match/pints/lads/work/whatever this weekend and spend two days looking. Demand satisfaction and don't be afraid to walk away. Mens outfitters are notoriously pushy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

paddyblue wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to buy a shirt, waistcoat & tie for my wedding (which is in 2 weeks:eek:)

Deciding not to rent - I went out and bought a suit a few months back.....It has only just dawned on me that I also need to buy a top quaity shirt & tie (& possibly a waistcoat to match - if I go that route).

After researcing the net I've come up with a shortlist 3 mens-wear shops in Dublin that I think will suit my needs (pun intended) - Blacktie, Louis Copeland & Best Menswear.

But i'm a very slim build and it was so much trouble getting a suit to fit me (in the end I found one but even then it had to be altered slightly) that i'm afraid I'll have similar trouble trying to get a shirt that fits.

The problem is I'm quite busy at the moment and haven't got much time to visit the various stores (have probably got max 1 full day to shop) - so was hoping someone with a bit of knowledge of formal menswear could point me in the right direction.

I don't mind travelling anywhere in the greater Dublin region - and would prefer somewhere that I can get plenty of advice, etc as I haven't decided on style, colour yet. So the shop assistant would have to be willing to give me a half-hour to one hour of their time. In my mind that would rule out the big department stores as they seem to be very impersonal there.

Obviously I'd like somewhere that offers relatively good value too - but I can't be too fussey at this stage & the most important thing is for me to find something - so am willing to splash out a few quid extra if need be.

Any advice appreciated.
    Hi there.

For shirts, don't go near Black Tie or Best and, if you're looking for a shirt that will properly last, you may as well steer clear of Zara too (they are fashion shirts and even their "formal" ones are very overpriced for what they are).

If you're on a budget you won't go wrong with TM Lewin. They make fine formal shirts for the price and still have a sale on. Their slim-fit isn't that slim but any decent tailor could slim down one of their shirts for you quite quickly.

Brown Thomas also have their sale on and would take care of you nicely if you explained the situation. Stick to the main formal men's section and stay far away from the Prada and D&Gs of this world; find an assistant and tell them exactly what you need. I've had work done by their tailor before and it's very, very good.

In my experience, with Louis Copeland it depends which store you go to. The guy in their small store over in CHQ is a reasonable character and would sort you out a shirt with the necessary alterations, same with most of the guys I've talked to in the main store on Capel Street. Have never felt entirely comfortable in the store off Baggot St. for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nevmur

Hi,

Have had similar dilema myself recently enough.
    The Louis Copeland shop in Capel street sorted me out big time. They do a top quality brand called ETON. I got one of their contempory fit shirts, which is defo slimmer fitting than their others, but it wa still a bit big. The guy there told me their tailor could alter it within one hour, and right enough, went back an hour later and job was done to perfection.....and at no extra cost. The staff in there really seem to know their business and are genuinely nice lads that are interested in looking after you.
    Cant see myself going anywhere else from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

Thanks for all the reply's - some follow up comments/questions below

Deflector wrote: »
    Frankly you can't do much better than a tailored and fitted €50 shirt from Zara of a quality fabric, a double cuff, medium spread collar and pleated back. Not only will you get the fit you want, you'll get a broad range too - and save a fortune.

I normally buy all my shirts in Zara - their slim-fit range is perfect for me for work shirts. Never considered them for formal Wear so will drop in and see whatthey have. Cheers.
    cL0h wrote: »
    After years of searching I found Olymp slim fit shirts. They are good quality and come in single or double cuff. You don't need a waistcoat in summer.

Where exactly do they sell Olymp shirts?
    dingbat wrote: »
    If you're on a budget you won't go wrong with TM Lewin. They make fine formal shirts for the price and still have a sale on. Their slim-fit isn't that slim but any decent tailor could slim down one of their shirts for you quite quickly.

Brown Thomas also have their sale on and would take care of you nicely if you explained the situation. Stick to the main formal men's section and stay far away from the Prada and D&Gs of this world; find an assistant and tell them exactly what you need. I've had work done by their tailor before and it's very, very good.

In my experience, with Louis Copeland it depends which store you go to. The guy in their small store over in CHQ is a reasonable character and would sort you out a shirt with the necessary alterations, same with most of the guys I've talked to in the main store on Capel Street. Have never felt entirely comfortable in the store off Baggot St. for some reason.

Thanks for those tips. I don't really mind getting a shirt that won't last long, once it fits me and will look good for one day then i'm ok with that.

Will try TM Lewin - I googled it and see they sell shirts at House of Fraiser in Dundrum.
    nevmur wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have had similar dilema myself recently enough.
    The Louis Copeland shop in Capel street sorted me out big time. They do a top quality brand called ETON. I got one of their contempory fit shirts, which is defo slimmer fitting than their others, but it wa still a bit big. The guy there told me their tailor could alter it within one hour, and right enough, went back an hour later and job was done to perfection.....and at no extra cost. The staff in there really seem to know their business and are genuinely nice lads that are interested in looking after you.
    Cant see myself going anywhere else from now on.

I'll drop into the store on Capel Street so....there is a sale there this sunday i believe so maybe they won't rip me off too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

paddyblue wrote: »
    Will try TM Lewin - I googled it and see they sell shirts at House of Fraiser in Dundrum.

I'll drop into the store on Capel Street so....there is a sale there this sunday i believe so maybe they won't rip me off too much.
    If you're dropping into town anyway, there's a TM Lewin store on Sth. Anne Street.

Advertisement