Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's high mileage?

• 20-07-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

..on a bike?

For a car it seems 100k miles and you are heading into high-mileage territory, but what about a motorbike? I know that it all depends on the engine type, size and of course maintenance schedule. If a engine is well maintained, should it just keep going?

Reason, I ask is that I see for example some Suzuki Burgmans with 15-20k miles on this. For example, there's a 400cc one with 15k miles. Is this considered large?

Also, I've heard that most 2 strokes will need to be rebuilt, is this the case?

Just curious, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

OK, I just found this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623206

But what of Two-Stroke?

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Brother heading off to Austria on his 07 FJR. One of his travelling companions in going on a 1991 Pan European with over 100,000 miles on it. I'd consider that high mileage.

Ok, 100k miles, that's pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

a 91 pan with 100,000. Thats feck all.
    I know a chap with a bandit 650. Tis a 06 or 07 and he has just over 80,000 on her already. Loads left in her.

Jayok 15,000 is feck all tbh.

2 strokes are usually small capacity bikes and high revving but if ya take care of anything it will go forever.
    Dunno what I would count high milage. Hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I know of a Transalp courier bike that was in Dublin that ended its life with 380k on the clock. The most I've seen on a bike to date.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    2 strokes are usually small capacity bikes and high revving but if ya take care of anything it will go forever.

Do they (2 strokes) need to be rebult every so often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

With a 4 stroke I'd consider anything above 70K miles as higher mileage. I know that they can run happily for ten's of thousands more though.

With the likes of a 2-strokes, small capacity engines I'd be wary of anything over 40K miles. That is because teenagers have been ragging the arse of them though!

Isn't the Burgman a 4 stroke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

jayok wrote: »

it depends on how you drive them and wot 2stroke oil you use,but yea they need regular matainence but notting major if its being treated right but they wouldnt be ideal for long journeys like a 4stroke would be,2strokers would be more town commuters and 4strokers would be cruisers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jayok wrote: »
    as the lads said. 2 strokes would generally need more work than 4 strokes. With 2 strokes being small cc bikes and alot quicker than their 4 stroke counterparts. They are usually in need of some work. What bike ya thinking of it be easier to answer then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Racked up 26,000 miles in 3 years on a Honda 70 in the 80's - two up out to Fore road races and the like! Mad fun it was :D

...then the bike got stolen in dubland city!! :(

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    What bike ya thinking of it be easier to answer then.

Well looking at the Suzuki Burgman 400 range at the mo. The all seem to have between 12-30kms on them, used a commuter bikes. The 2002 400 is a SOHC 4 stroke, but apparently are a nightmare to maintain. Not sure if this would be a wise or foolish purchase, but the 2nd hand prices now are good for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

I bought a Burgman 250 about three months ago with 38,000 on the clock. I was worried it was a bit high. It was a 2003 model. Ironically the spedo was broken so don't know if the mileage was even higher.

However, i love it and I bar having the speedo fixed, i haven't had any trouble with it. I do about 100m miles a week on it commuting to work. Very reliable (so far) and very comfortable. Great storage too. If this one remains trouble free then I'd definitey consider getting another one.

I had a vespa 125cc prior to this (2 stroke) and it was a nightmare. No engine trouble as such, just stuff kept falling off of it including a part of the engine, the throttle, clutch cable breaking etc.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

had an xmax 250 yamaha, from new did about 58k km in 20 months, no end of troubles, engine rebuilt twice, and other things. so id stay away from that bike, especially mine if your buying from bikeworld. thankfully was all under warranty with leo.
    done 33k in 1 year with deauville from new, no problems, at all.not one single little problem, when was looking around for a bike, went around and there were a few deauvilles second and third hand with 20k - 60k km on them, so its the norm for that bike to last awhile

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Pah. There's a courier in Dublin with 195,000 miles on his 01 Bandit 600. 100,000 should be feck all for your average motorbike (over 500cc) with good servicing.

Advertisement