Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny D v Stevie G

• 20-07-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

As a Villa fan, I reckon Steve Sidwell is better than either ;) but just been watching the Premiership years there, and Stevie G is truly incredible.

Showcasing some of his stuff over the last few seasons, too many to mention but -

performance v Newcastle at St James last season
    free kick v Villa in April
    Wonder free kicks in 07 / 08 season against Villa on 1st day and Newcastle which was incredible
    FA Cup Final v West Ham
    dragging Liverpool through to Champs League in 05, including that wonder strike when needed against Olympiakos

My da is a big Liverpool and says he's still miles behind Kenny Dalglish who he says " was the best midfielder he ever seen " and I read that Kenny is classed as the No 1 man " who thrilled the Kop " in a poll.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Kenny is still number one. But if Gerrard won us the league with a thirty yard piledriver in the last minute, the accolade would probably move to Gerrard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As a Villa fan, I reckon Steve Sidwell is better than either...

What do you guys think?

I think your on drugs... can i have some :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

That "wonder" free kick against Villa at the start of 07/08 was as a result of a wrong refs decison. Plus i don't think Dalglish was ever as dirty a player as Gerrard was either, i recall his horror tackle on Boeteng at Anfield years ago, you can kinda see why he ended up in court now that i think about it.

Tell your Dad King Kenny wasn't a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Daglish was a more technical player who could control a game at any pace he chose, Scholes would be a closer match to Daglish imo in play styles

Gerrard isnt that type of midfielder his best displays are when he is driving a game forward, if he was playing Daglishs era he wouldnt get a game or would get stuck out on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

That "wonder" free kick against Villa at the start of 07/08 was as a result of a wrong refs decison. Plus i don't think Dalglish was ever as dirty a player as Gerrard was either, i recall his horror tackle on Boeteng at Anfield years ago, you can kinda see why he ended up in court now that i think about it.

agree totally, I was raging he dived for the free kick, but it doesn't take away from the fact he placed it in the top corner.

and his tackling is dirty, similiar to Scholes though, it's put down to " English naievity "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Come on now lads, he used be very dirty with his tackles but I cant think of any in the last few years that made cringe when he lunged in.

Cant comment on the question never seen Kenny play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That "wonder" free kick against Villa at the start of 07/08 was as a result of a wrong refs decison.
    agree totally, I was raging he dived for the free kick
    So, Petrov kicking out at him and then grabbing him is a "wrong decision" and a "dive" now?

Back on-topic, it has to be Kenny Dalglish but should Gerrard lift a couple of Premier League trophies as player and manager then maybe he will run him closer.
    Fromvert wrote:
    Come on now lads, he used be very dirty with his tackles but I cant think of any in the last few years that made cringe when he lunged in.
    How about when he clattered Kevin Kilbane a couple seasons ago? That was the Merseyside derby where Phil Neville scored a cracking near post header for the wrong team :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

malice_ wrote: »
    So, Petrov kicking out at him and then grabbing him is a "wrong decision" and a "dive" now?

it's incredible what people can see when they want to. i mean seriously. :confused:

unbelievable

i really don't want to go off topic, but just sometimes.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

malice_ wrote: »
    How about when he clattered Kevin Kilbane a couple seasons ago? That was the Merseyside derby where Phil Neville scored a cracking near post header for the wrong team :).

I can't remember that tackle but I remember the goal. But to say he is a dirty player is way off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

dreamers75 wrote: »
    if he was playing Daglishs era he wouldnt get a game or would get stuck out on the wing.

gerrard would get on any liverpool team from any era imo, 3 of the last 4 seasons he has scored at least 22 goals from midfield, do you seriously think the likes of Kevin MacDonald, Craig Johnston, sammy lee, jan molby, Paul Walsh even Terry McDermott are better players than gerrard??

rossie1977 wrote: »
    gerrard would get on any liverpool team from any era imo, 3 of the last 4 seasons he has scored at least 22 goals from midfield, do you seriously think the likes of Kevin MacDonald, Craig Johnston, sammy lee, jan molby, Paul Walsh even Terry McDermott are better players than gerrard??

Souness?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Souness?

souness and gerrard would be good midfield pairing

souness and gerrard would be good midfield pairing

Not much to choose between them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Souness a better midfielder in the traditional sense but Gerrard is the ideal modern attacking midfielder.

Hansen once described him as Souness with a great shot on him which is very accurate.

Daglish and Liddel are still the two best but gerrard is not far behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

In that ERA you do remember how liverpool played in them days? Total football it was not, and no way a player like gerrard would be played central in favour of those absolute savages you mentioned :D

pool had a system that worked very well, Gerrard wouldnt fit into it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not much to choose between them imo.

its hard to compare souness with gerrard, i have gerrard ahead of souness simply because of his versatility thats all, you want someone to play at right back, right midfield, defensive midfield, center midfield, up front, gerrard is your man, taking nothing away from souness who was a wonderful player and would also get on any liverpool team from any era too imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

it's incredible what people can see when they want to. i mean seriously. :confused:

unbelievable

i really don't want to go off topic, but just sometimes.....:rolleyes:
    Let me get this straight, you accused Gerrard of diving to win the free-kick, I've provided you with video evidence to show he didn't and now you're confused?
    Fromvert wrote: »
    I can't remember that tackle but I remember the goal. But to say he is a dirty player is way off the mark.
    I never said he was a dirty player. He was certainly a bit rash in his younger days but he's much more controlled these days. Remember the game away to Chelsea last season where Liverpool won 1:0 courtesy of a deflected Alonso shot? He got harshly booked early on for a tackle on Mikel (I think). He didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the game but at the same time didn't shirk any challenges that he had to put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do people still call Gerrard a midfielder? He's played the best football of his career with far greater consistency in the second striker role the last couple of years.

But Dalglish easily in terms of a choice between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tell your dad that Kenny was a striker.

Gerrard in his current role as a foil for Torres is nowhere near as good as Kenny was as a foil for Ian Rush.

Gerrard in his old role as a midfielder was not as good as the club's best midfielder, Souness.

Yes Kenny and Souness were that good, that I can say that and mean it when comparing them to a player like Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Kenny.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a valid comparison. So fail!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why do people still call Gerrard a midfielder? He's played the best football of his career with far greater consistency in the second striker role the last couple of years.

he did win pfa player of the year and score 23 goals in season 2005/06 where he spent most of the time on the right wing, i would be confident gerrard would look good in goal at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Like most of these things Its a generational thing. Older people who watched kenny around his era are going to say he's better, whereas younger people are going to say gerrard. Gimme keith fahey anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Gimme keith fahey anyday.

geurrp the yard!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

I'd say most pool fans would have em both in a Best XI but I think Kenny shades it for the moment. SG has a few more years to edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kenny G every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I had to go back and reread the title of the thread as I thought you had started off some fantasy hybrid sports contest with Kenny Egan in a match with Stevie G :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

he did win pfa player of the year and score 23 goals in season 2005/06 where he spent most of the time on the right wing, i would be confident gerrard would look good in goal at this stage
    So we've established hes a great right winger and a great second striker. But as a midfielder, less so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Unfortunatly I'm old enough to remember Kenny and was unbelievable to watch. I idolized him as a player and a still do as a man.
    But Stevie g IMO has taking his mantle as liverpools greatest, Stevie is world class from 2-11 and has dragged lfc by the scruff of the neck so many times and has every attribute you need in football. Kenny played with Liverpool when they were dominating and has exceptional players around him. But Stevie has single handly won countless games for Liverpool playing with muck , players like traore, kewell, rise,cisse and baros should pray for Stevie every night and thank him for their champions league medal.
    I find some times people tend to favour past players to make themselves appear more knowlegable.
    But for me it's no contest as a player Stevie is a clear cut winner but kenny will always be a better man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Unfortunatly I'm old enough to remember Kenny and was unbelievable to watch. I idolized him as a player and a still do as a man.
    But Stevie g IMO has taking his mantle as liverpools greatest, Stevie is world class from 2-11 and has dragged lfc by the scruff of the neck so many times and has every attribute you need in football. Kenny played with Liverpool when they were dominating and has exceptional players around him. But Stevie has single handly won countless games for Liverpool playing with muck , players like traore, kewell, rise,cisse and baros should pray for Stevie every night and thank him for their champions league medal.
    I find some times people tend to favour past players to make themselves appear more knowlegable.
    But for me it's no contest as a player Stevie is a clear cut winner but kenny will always be a better man

thats 100% spot on

Advertisement