Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of your degree is each year worth?

• 20-07-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I was wondering what percentage of your degree each year was worth. Someone told me it's 25% for second year, 25% for third year and 50% for fourth year, is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It depends on your degree - it could be weighted 1:2:2 or 1:1:2 for the final three years (that would be the equivalent of 20:40:40 and 25:25:50 respectively). Obviously each year you have co-op is effectively only worth half of what the weighting is. Additionally, it depends on the number of modules you do per term. If that isn't always the same each term then the terms with more modules will be worth more. Your FYP may be given additional weighting as well, again depending on your degree.

Short answer is "Maybe, need more information for definitive answer":) Asking your course leader will give you a simple answer. There isn't one "definitive answer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Thanks for that! Yah, il just e-mail someone in UL to ask. Fingers crossed my 2nd year isn't worth too much! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

In the vast majority of Degree subjects, first year doesn't matter as long as you pass. It is from second year onwards that it counts, and it gets complicated!

It's explained in the student handbook @:

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/916704055.pdf.

It starts on page 18

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

blondie07 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Yah, il just e-mail someone in UL to ask. Fingers crossed my 2nd year isn't worth too much! ;)

did you pass everything? if your worried about QCA's, I wouldn't. I know a lot of big business people who do some hiring and firing here in Ireland and they tell me QCA's don't mean much anymore. The obvisouly like someone who can score good grades but it doesn't decide if you get a job or not. There interested in experience in the chosen field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement