Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telling mates about job openings dilema

• 20-07-2009 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Your unemployed and you find a job opening which you apply for. But you have mates who are also unemployed and ask you if you have heard/seen any jobs available.

Do you -
    - Be a good friend and tell them about the place which you applied for?
    Or
    - Be a basterd and say you haven't seen any.

Personally ive been playing the part of the complete basterd and keeping my mouth shut, Im not proud of it. But if I do see openings for jobs that im not qualified for, but know a mate who is, Ill pass on the info.
    Im curious to what others do as Id say many of us have been in this situation more than once, especially in recent times

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tell them. You might not know how bad their home economic situation is. They could a be a lot worse off.

It would be the right thing to do (for me anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You should hardly tell them "on the off chance" their situation is worse than yours - no offence but that's very much like something a person who's employed would say.
    If you know for certain their situation is worse than yours, tell them. If it isn't, tell them about jobs you see that you wouldn't be suitable for and they might be, don't tell them about jobs you're suitable for. You gotta look after yourself too in this climate.
    Before I was lucky enough to get a job, I constantly emailed friends positions I spotted which I wasn't qualified for, but frankly, there was no way I was going to let them know about ones which I was qualified for - and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have blamed me. I wouldn't expect friends to let me know about a position they want to go for.

Glad you're not my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If your friends are that much in need of a job, then they will be scouring the news papers, Fas, internet etc... for the jobs. It's not your job to tell them about jobs (even when times were good) they're adults now, they can look after themselves, it's not your job to that. Whatever about helping a friend in need and all that, if some one needs a job they'll be looking. As heartless as it sounds, it's not your problem to find your friends a job regardless of how broke they might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

I might mention that I applied for a job but I wouldn't expect them to apply for the same job. Your not a recruitment agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tell them the good news that you found an opening for a job for yourself.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Glad you're not my friend
    So if you were unemployed and spotted a job you'd be suited to, you'd still pass it on to a friend? Yep, sure ya would... ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Make them join boards then start a thread in the thunderdome calling them out. I will judge the winner and contact the employer to let them know who their new employee is.
    Either that or fisticuffs. Or you could both pretend to want the job then drug the guy, rob his money and skip the country. Or tell your friend, dont do the interview and demand a free bottle of bewze when they get the job.
    Or you could tell your friend and then drug them the day of the interview with muscle relaxants. Make sure their interview is before yours. Once you don't soil yourself you're looking like the best candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Tell them and assume if their a good friend they'll tell you about jobs you don't know about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So have your mates told you about jobs they were going for? and if so did you go for them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Tell them but give them the wrong contact details, that way you'll look good and they'll tell you of jobs they've applied for. Everyone wins :cool:

Dudess wrote: »
    So if you were unemployed and spotted a job you'd be suited to, you'd still pass it on to a friend? Yep, sure ya would... ;)

I would....honest..;)

Make them join boards then start a thread in the thunderdome calling them out. I will judge the winner and contact the employer to let them know who their new employee is.
    Either that or fisticuffs. Or you could both pretend to want the job then drug the guy, rob his money and skip the country. Or tell your friend, dont do the interview and demand a free bottle of bewze when they get the job.
    Or you could tell your friend and then drug them the day of the interview with muscle relaxants. Make sure their interview is before yours. Once you don't soil yourself you're looking like the best candidate.

Hey Bollocko, do you mean an interview like this?:D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I would....honest..;)
    Even if their circumstances weren't worse than yours, or even slightly better? That's what I'm referring to specifically, not those who are worse off. I would, without question, tell those. I'd actually tell people who aren't even friends, just acquaintances, if their situations were particularly bad.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Tell them but give them the wrong contact details, that way you'll look good and they'll tell you of jobs they've applied for. Everyone wins :cool:
    :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

El Siglo wrote: »
    Hey Bollocko, do you mean an interview like this?:D

I knew it wasn't going to be long before somebody referenced the trainspotting interview!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For me, I'd have the thought that a friend was in a bad way money-wise, but for obvious reasons wouldn't share that info.
    If they were that way badly off, I'd then also hate to think that I might have known of a possible job for them that might help - and not told them.

Sure, they could appear to be better off. This old fart however has learned a lesson many times that one should never judge a book by its cover.
    If it was me, I would tell them (and have done), but thats just me and my funny morals and conscious.

I knew it wasn't going to be long before somebody referenced the trainspotting interview!

Or maybe this job interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I worked as a contractor for several years, most of my mates are from the same industry and contractors also. When out of work the normal thing to do was firstly sort out the next job for yourself, then if possible sort out your mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Tell them and assume if their a good friend they'll tell you about jobs you don't know about
    rubadub wrote: »
    So have your mates told you about jobs they were going for? and if so did you go for them too?

A job did come up recently where I had friends working and they didnt say anything, it wasnt until I read the paper and saw the postion. But I didnt take it too personal because they werent close friends and i wouldnt have blamed them if they had informed those who are closer to them, since id be the same way. I did have a friend inform me of a job opening, but they weren't qualified for it themselves.

• Advertisement

The company I work for is in administration and everyone is actively looking for other jobs.

One of the lads made the mistake of talking about a job that was suggested to him and two others in the department applied for it.

As it turns out none of them got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

If a friend of mine told me about a job he was applying for, I'd be the one to feel like a **** if I then went and applied for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If you don't do this type of advice / consultation for a living, you are wasted in the wrong job.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Look after yourself first and foremost.

Advertisement