Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget i7 pc - possible?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Posted on the boards awhile back to build a pc for around 650, had to be a small case and quadcore with decent graphics for medium gaming. Since I've been on holiday for last week or so and aint gonna order it till I get back, I've noticed that its just too close in price to an i7 build to ignore.

Anything horrendously wrong with the attached build? (graphics card not included as I have a 4670 and I plan to get the toxic 4890 from pixmania.be as its v cheap there)

Could have been a good bit cheaper if I went for ATX, but I need a small non-eyesore pc

I'll dl windows 7 and just run it for now with 3 gigs of ram. Will get 3 more later on + graphics card with next month's paycheck.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Get ready to double the PSU budget - that Superflower just isn't up to a 130W+ CPU and a 120W+ GPU working together. Corsair VX550 is the lowest you should go given the spec but the EarthWatts EA650 may be a better bet given its less than a fiver dearer. Neither of those is modular either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Modular PSUs are for girls!!

Decent build alright, makes me question the merrit of going with a C2Q. Need a new PSU and if I was you I would look into a bigger case. Just because the board is mATX doesn't mean you can't slap it into a decent atx mid case. Would improve cooling by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Frederico wrote: »
    Anything horrendously wrong with the attached build?

Get a "proper" PSU that won't reduce all your parts to a molten slag and set fire to your house +2 (a modual corsair as suggested is a great start)

Cannot be stressed enough how important a good PSU is and how critical it is to the running of a pc. (made that mistake in the past, was lucky not to get burnt....)

Def get a modular psu, any m-atx is going to be tight on the inside and having to hide a few miles of unrequired psu rails is going to muck up what little airflow and cooling you will have.

How important is noise to you? You can expect a m-atx build to be a bit loud due to the lack of padding/dampening in m-atx cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Frederico wrote: »
    I'll dl windows 7 and just run it for now with 3 gigs of ram. Will get 3 more later on + graphics card with next month's paycheck.

I say stuff that money somewhere safe and then just wait until next months paycheck....

If you're just playin games then you might as well just get the new build altogether.
    An i7 with your old graphics card really won't make that much of a difference performance wise in games.

not to mention you'll prob save 50yoyo's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you feel you need 6GB then wait until you have the cash, and get one decent kit rather than two smaller ones.
    if I was you I would look into a bigger case

Frederico already stated the need for a small case. Yes, the Sugo Mk3/4 were made for that kinda thing but the Sugo Mk2 isn't that bad... few fans, but plenty of ventilation. If you had the extra money the Sugo Mk3 is much more suitable for high-TDP performance builds though (now cheaper than a Tt LanBox!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement