Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerhill

Options
  • 20-07-2009 9:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Im viewing a place in Summerhill on Wednesday. I dont know much about the area but I do know about its eh reputation! The place is up near the north circular rd. end. Just wondering could anyone tell me if its as bad as its made out to be? Like is it unsafe to walk through on your own at night? Or are break ins a problem?

Cheers,
    wix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

My brother lived in Summerhill (just off Mountjoy Square) for about a year or so a few years back. I never felt safe walking up to his place after dark. Loads of dodgy looking lads hanging about the place so I always felt like I had to walk tall and quite briskly.
    Mind you I don't even like walking up O'Connell Street after being out on the beer in town. Too many scumbags looking for trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

if he lived near mountjoy square, he didn't live in summerhill, thats a 5-10 minute walk away from summerhill. its not really a bad area at all, there were a few problematic areas a few years ago but its all been clamped down on. the Sean O'Casey Ave area is barricaded like mount joy and has CCTV to match. the old Mountain View flats are gone too. although, even then it wasnt actually that bad.

by the sounds of it I would say its near the junction of nth circular rd/summerhill/portland row etc. the area is decent, and its not often you'll hear of any trouble down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Masada, what planet did you live on before coming to earth?.. :p

OP, if your stuck - really badly stuck & I mean in the debts of despair looking for somewhere to live then by all mean's give Summerhill a viewing - from a very fast car!.

Honestly there is not a snowballs chance in hell I'd live on Summerhill.

But hey, different stroke's and all that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Masada, what planet did you live on before coming to earth?.. :p

OP, if your stuck - really badly stuck & I mean in the debts of despair looking for somewhere to live then by all mean's give Summerhill a viewing - from a very fast car!.

Honestly there is not a snowballs chance in hell I'd live on Summerhill.

But hey, different stroke's and all that.

For what reasons? Intimidation or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

wixfjord wrote: »

Women in pyjamas out on the street smoking fags all day.

I have to agree with Makikomi, I wouldn't live there if you paid me.
    After you've looked at the place drop into the Sunshine House for a pint and get a feel for some of your potential new neighbours. :rolleyes:

Oh and on a more serious note, drop into the local coppers. They'll always give you a clear indication what the area is like to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

My family doctor was in rutland street in the middle of summerhill just off sean mcdermott street. In the 25+ years I've attended there I've never had a whiff of bother.

Also, My great aunt lived in Bella street all her life and no issues. Was a large heroin problem in the 80's and 90's but has largely calmed down.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It certainly has changed for the better compared to the 1980s. It used to feel a bit intimidating walking through the area. In saying that, it wouldn't be a place I'd choose in a hurry to live in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sunset House isn't the worst of'm. That new pub has taken a few of the shiftier lads away from it.

I'd give it skip too though and like a lot of the posters here I'd be fairly generous in dishing out the benefit of the doubt when it comes to areas. Still a dark little spot by times, as WBA says it has cleaned up a lot for sure but it's a case of 'a lot done, a lot more to do'.

Sunset House isn't too bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

As said above, I wouldn't live there by choice. Used to go to school in O'Connells in the 90's, walked down buckingham every day. There was always trouble. From kids throwing stuff, muggings to just a random punch punch in the face. Almost every day there was an incident. Not involving me all the time, but someone on the bus.
    I've been there a few times since, once going to an Ireland game in Croker about 2 months ago. Little scumbags were throwing apples at people. Not the most serious crime, but there's just constantly kids harassing you it gets to be a serious pain in the arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

waraf wrote: »
    Women in pyjamas out on the street smoking fags all day.

I have to agree with Makikomi, I wouldn't live there if you paid me.
    After you've looked at the place drop into the Sunshine House for a pint and get a feel for some of your potential new neighbours. :rolleyes:

Oh and on a more serious note, drop into the local coppers. They'll always give you a clear indication what the area is like to live in.

that'll be the Sunset house your talking about, and by the sounds of things, ya must not have been in their either, :p

The sunset is the most placid pub in the north inner city, if ya went looking for trouble the castle or the blind ref would be places that wouldnt dissapoint, but the sunset.. lol.

as far a i know the castle is gone now too, so that leaves Morleys and the Sunset, both granda pubs.

having lived in the area for 20 odd years I cant see why someone would say its particualrly bad, it had its seasons of trouble a few years ago, but there's hardly ever trouble these days. Seville place, oriel street etc are the problematic parts of town in recent times. there's more coppers in town than their are knackers these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I used to live near that area about 4 years ago. it was lovely during the day, not a bother but i wouldn't set foot there after dark.

Kids throwing stones etc at people/buses whatever they could aim at.

Teenagers walking around trying to intimidate people that obviously were out of place.

Just a really menacing atmosphere.

(i'm female, incase that makes a difference)

I wouldn't be intimidated too easily, in fact I was born on Summerhill & still have family living in Matt Talbot Court.

My wife is a 'townie', she's from Sheriff St and all her family live there & EastWall. I've also lived in both area's before buying where I've settled, so I know these communities well.

Its very hard to move into one of these communties and feel your accepted, you'll never be, but that'll only concern you if your buying into the area.

As an outsider your going to stick out like a sore thumb in Summerhill, unless like your African & East European neighbours you ghetto'ise yourself with your own kind - there's a reason why 'birds of a feather shall flock together'!.

OP, with property and rental prices as competitive as they are these days there are far nicer & safer area's than Summerhill to choose from.

Oh, The Castle - its been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hi guys, Im viewing a place in Summerhill on Wednesday

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Maybe move a bit further out like Drumcondra or Whitehall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i cycle through it twice a day. Never felt endangered but why you'd want to live in an area where pyjamas are the uniform of the women and tracksuits and baseball caps for the men is beyond me! Plus any hint of sunshine and every youngfella has their top off and everyone in the neighbourhood is drinking cans sitting on steps/walls etc. Also the place is filthy with litter, i've seen residents just walk out and dump bags of rubbish across the road because they probably refuse to buy bin tags. Disgusting looking area full of disgusting looking people if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its a shiithole,full of scumbags..avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Lived in Marino for 4 years and the walk home from college through Summerhill was always the quickest part of my journey.

Women in pyjamas everywhere smoking fags and groups of young fellas that always seemed to have school holidays at the strangest times. Add to that teh few shootings that took place there in the last four years and you start to get the picture.

Try Marino if you need to be in the locality, it's geographically close but a million miles away in other ways.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a shiithole,full of scumbags..avoid it.

/Enter Degsy - firing from the hip as usual :D

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    . Disgusting looking area full of disgusting looking people if you ask me.

Sorry for not using multi-quotes - but that beats Degsy!.

And really made me laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Sorry for not using multi-quotes - but that beats Degsy!.

And really made me laugh.

Well I'm just being brutally honest, I mean why would you want to live there unless the corpo made you live there?!

Its not just the people tbh,there's something very run-down and depressing about the place too..there's no green spaces apart from the canal banks(scissor-sisters anyone) and a lot of the buildings seem to be decaying and ramshackle.
    The area itself is dirty and grey and this seems to be reflected in a lot of the types you see hanging around.
    Walking fom town to summerhill at night is truly not to be reccomended and being from outside the area is more likely to make you a target than a guest...you CAN move to a working-class area and be accepted if you're not from there but i dont think summerhill is one of those places.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I agree fully. I moved into my area 5 years ago odd - Doneycarney and my road is basically the one up one down houses full of really old people who moved in years and years ago. Alot of them would be in their late 70s - mid 80s. I never really spoke of any of them for the first few years as I wasnt there alot, but now Im familar with all their faces and they always wave and and tell me what happens - eg we have a neighbor who has a brother a junkie and he keeps trying to break into peoples house but keep getting caught cos hes off his head. I never even knew that it had been going on but they thought seeing as I live alone I should know about it.

Im not into the whole neighbour dropping in for coffee scene, but when a gang of 80 year old invite you into town with them for a coffee, it turns out to be great fun and they have so many stories its a great insight into the area. :)

Me likey, me staying :)

PS - wouldnt touch Summerhill unless I was homeless. I work with SVP at night and there and Thomas Street areas are the very worst to be dealing with. I got beaten to a pulp one night even thought they knew I was VP and they knew I had no money on me. Baxtards. However bad the area is, they make it ten times worse....not just the junkies, but the pure scum mentality that seems to thrive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

North Circular Rd isn't Summerhill, but its close enough. Summerhill is a kip, its part of the same block of housing as Sean McDermott St. Only worth going through if you are driving.

My advise would be to look elsewhere because of the potential problems you could encounter there. Quality of life basically.

donaghs wrote: »
    North Circular Rd isn't Summerhill, but its close enough. Summerhill is a kip, its part of the same block of housing as Sean McDermott St. Only worth going through if you are driving.

My advise would be to look elsewhere because of the potential problems you could encounter there. Quality of life basically.

Be advised that Sean McDermot st is FAR worse than summerhillproper,it really doesnt have anything whatsovere going for it and it is an extremely dangerous area.

Deepsense you should pop into The Ramble Inn. A friendlier pub you won't get. They dish out sambos and sausages on a Friday afternoon too and during the week in the bar the have a big rousing traditional session.

Where Ballybough and Summerhill and down Rutland Street and down onto Sean Mac has always given me the willies and I'm and north inner(ish) chappy too. Odd too that I wouldn't have a bother mincing around Seville Place. I wouldn't live there but I'm never bothered when I'm down that way.
    But Summerhill...it's just too feckin' randomly nutty.
    Last week I saw a junkie with his cecks down and leaning and against the wall having a dump. It was 3.30 PM. This could happen in a lot of places but didn't look too out of place in Summerhill.

Mind you one of Dublin's best pubs is in the area. Gill's, although for the last few years it only opens when there are events on in Croker. But if even not attending Croker it's always good to pop the head head. Great pub run by a top family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 re Gills, smashing place. And on the junkies, there's the not uncommon sight of them out of it, leaning down to pick up the cigarette which blew away about 30 mins previously.

Have lived around Mountjoy Sq for 10 years with barely any incident, but I wouldn't bother with Summerhill especially if you're anything less than 100% on the streetwise scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinBhoyJoe

These fcuking threads make me laugh, for years and years no one wanted to live in the city centre.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

These fcuking threads make me laugh, for years and years no one wanted to live in the city centre.

Yeah hilarious :rolleyes:

That post doesnt even warrant a response.

I found a nicer place in smithfield and am moving in there soon. Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I lived up at the Ballybough end one year, and where I never felt intimidated (I had just moved into town from Finglas West!), I certainly did not like the area at all. I found it very depressing and it was quite rough. Bus drivers getting awful abuse, the buses getting stuff thrown at them, small kids wandering around at ridiculous hours of the night etc etc. It was generally just horrible. My house was pretty crappy looking, so I reckon that any of the local hoodlums knew that there wouldnt be anything worth nicking in the place, so we were left alone.

I found a nicer place in smithfield and am moving in there soon. Thanks for the replies.

Good choice Wixfjord. Good pubs, take aways and general amenities along Stoneybatter and Smithfield in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Speak for yourself!

Best of luck in Smithfield wixfjord, good choice.

Advertisement