Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summerhill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Summerhill.. urgh. Used to walk through it n the way to work in the mornings/evenings, and on the way back from the gym later in the evenings again.

Proper stinky hole of an area. I lived close by for a long time. As previously posted, it's the random stuff.. stones being thrown by little scumbag kids, junkies taking a dump on the road, litter all over the place, horrible buildings etc..

I'm no shrinking violet by any means when it comes to living in the city, but Summerhill has always had this uneasy feel about it. As if something was always just about to kick off.. and quite often it does.. Avoid.

Best of luck in Smithfield. Far nicer area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Since the OP has found accommodation in Smithfield I'll close this now, no point in over doing in!.

Thanks everyone.

In lighht of THIS THREAD we're....

OFBlogo.JPG

On Summerhill again... But read that thread at your peril, there are a couple of right fools in it - take a walk on the darko side and I'll ban you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Since we're out of AH territory, I'll say it again.
    It is because some people will react to this by saying 'you shouldn't have had your phone out there', 'what do you expect' blah blah, that parts of this city are the way they are. IMO, acceptance (and expectation) of scummer behaviour is what lets it keep happening.

That woman had every right to walk unbothered to any concert, along any road in this city, with or without kids. The fact that so many people seem to think it's 'expected' that some loser assault her and steal her property in any particular area is disgusting and in my book is on exactly the same continuum as the thinking of the loser who decided he had the right to steal from her.

I have worked in that area for 25 years, I have taught a large percentage of the young adults in it, don't give me any sob stories about nothing to do. There are many fine people from that area, but they and we, the wider community let these scummers away with it.

Just try getting one charged, even if you catch him red-handed, it will be another chance after last chance. No consequences to actions is what causes some people to behave like that and until we start making sure there are consequences, nothing will change, especially if some people in the supposedly law-abiding community have decided there is an acceptable and expected level of scummer behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What happened to that woman was terrible and it'll probably have a lasting effect on her sense of security when out alone, a real shame especially having her children see that.

Sadly its all to common in the Croke park area on any event from the football to the concerts, most of the coppers in the area are drafted in from all over the place and don't even know the area. this often means the ones doing the mugging are more confident in what they are doing because the copper doesn't know the lay of the land and often isn't allowed to leave his/her post.
    I'm also shocked that of the 80 thousand people who went to that gig, not one bloke seems to have stepped in and helped the woman.

I really don't see how it has anything to do with this thread though since it has its own thread over in AH, your enlightening people to a contraversial thread aswell as threatening a banning? why not leave this locked since its run its course? your only givine people rope and expecting them not to hang themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Masada wrote: »
    I'm also shocked that of the 80 thousand people who went to that gig, not one bloke seems to have stepped in and helped the woman.

Don't be. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to turn a blind eye but will go home and say what a disgrace it was.Some of them are probably ranting on that other thread.

Masada wrote: »
    I really don't see how it has anything to do with this thread though since it has its own thread over in AH, your enlightening people to a contraversial thread aswell as threatening a banning? why not leave this locked since its run its course? your only givine people rope and expecting them not to hang themselves.

First off, your around long enough to know that if you have an issue with a Moderator's decision you can take it to a PM with the Mod or take it over to the 'HelpDesk'.

Second, people in Dublin actually read this forum - :eek:

Personally the Summerhill/Ballybough area wouldn't bother me, however leaving the U2 gig last night and two of the girls in our company took out their photos to use, immediately I remembered the AH thread and warned the girls to move in closer to the group.

Maybe people browsing this forum in future might just avoid a similar bad experience as that poor girl in the AH thread when walking through this area.

Brilliant gig btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

I used to work on Amiens Street(nextdoor to the methadone clinic) and on Buckingham Street and while it's definitely an area in which you have to keep your wits about you its not as bad an area as its made out to be.

I remember we got held up one day by a lad with a can of petrol and a lighter one evening,he took a computer and cash from the till,we called the garda but he was long gone.

Then we were paid a visit by a friend of a well known local gangster who asked us what happened and what the guy who robbed us looked like,well two hours later he arrived back with the money and the computer and told us that we wouldn't have any more probems,and we didn't!

I always enjoyed working around the area and always thought that the majority of the locals were very friendly and had a great sense of humour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 red_river

il be renting a room close to mountjoy square, whats that area like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

red_river wrote: »
    il be renting a room close to mountjoy square, whats that area like??

It's the Monaco of the Northside :D:D

• Advertisement

Can you be a bit more specific?

I lived on Hill Street, near Mountjoy Square for years, and never had any problems. Loved it and hated to leave it.

But then you hear of other people having horrible experiences, so I think a lot of it depends on the individual. Some people seem to find trouble no matter where they live..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 red_river

its on middle gardiner's st which is beside hill st.

red_river wrote: »
    its on middle gardiner's st which is beside hill st.

You'll be grand. All the asian restaurants, supermarkets and bars, which open late, generally give that end of the city a nice buzz.
    You do see some scummers knocking about, but they tend to leave you alone if you leave them alone (unless you're really unlucky).
    For me, the pros far outweigh the cons up there.

Make sure and pop into The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street.. One of the coolest pubs in the city IMO... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

+1 for the Welcome - a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Is the Castle pub closed now? I was there with friends ages ago and thought it was a decent spot.

Advertisement