Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet and phone line issue

Options
  • 20-07-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Lo,

Right this problem has only started since last week roughly and it's an odd one.

My internet speed keeps dropping to from around 3meg line to .5 meg. When I pick up the landline there is lots of crackling on the line.

However, when I pick up the landline the crackling starts to fade and lo and behold my net speed returns to normal. Net speed hold for circa an hour and problem returns. EDIT: Must be said that when I pick up the phone line my net connection cuts out and reconnects. (actually... could it be a dead microfilter? Do they break?)

I use a wireless router and have two cordless phones. I don't think it's the cordless phones because I took them out and plugged in a normal phone and it had the same crackles. It must be said that picking up the phone doesn't ALWAYS sort the problem straight away but generally 8 out of 10 times it does.

Would love an idea of where to look to resolve this. ISP directed me to BT and when I call BT the line obviously clears and the line check comes back clean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sounds like a faulty filter alright - they dont usually break but could it somehow have had something spilled on it or stood on? Remove the filter temporarily and see if crackle goes away - if not could be water ingress at junction box (lots of rain recently) - almost deffo a local issue to your house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

If its not a reasonbly new house, a cheap enough gadget called an Iplate may help. Google it. Older phone lines had a bell wire for the old telephones which causes a fair whack of line noise. The iplate can clear this interference. If its a new enough building then it points to a physical problem with either the filter or the cable termination at the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Had crackling on my line when making calls but broadband was working fine, turned out to be problem with something at the exchange. if the phone ringing causes a problem its more than likely a filter problem alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Will pick up some new filters and see what happens to begin with and go from there. Cheers.

Advertisement