Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50d or 5d MkI???

• 20-07-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Which would you chose and why??

Background - Currently have a 400d with a decent set of lens (24-80 2.8L, 50 1.4L, 70-200 4L) and enjoy both landscape/cityscape shots as well as portrait.

The reason behind the dilema is that I've been asked to do a friend's wedding, I did one before and while it went well the ISO limitation of the 400d really hit hard. So I've decided to upgrade for this to make my life a little easier.

The 5d mkI is a class act, full frame and very good noise control. I've wanted one from the day they came out. But the 50d is now on the scene, cost comparable with a 2nd hand 5d, DIGIC 4 processor with very good noise control also.

I am throughly confused!!!! Help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't get the 50D.

If you get the 50D you'll only end up upgrading to a 5D anyway, why waste the money?

I have a 400D, I'm currently trying to acquire myself a decent set of lenses and then I'm going straight for the 5D MkII (I assume you meant this and not the MkI? ). A 1D of course is the 'cream of the crop', but I wouldn't spend so much on that unless I was a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

There's a good thread over on POTN on this very subject:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=575935

Personally, I'd go for the 5D over the 50D but while I have the former I have no experience of the latter.

Regards,

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

5D
    Full frame is such a winner.
    Although you could sell a family member and go for the 5D II. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

5D withoutu doubt. Convinced a guy in work to sell his 30D, a couple of lenses he didn't use, his battery grip and extras to upgrade to a 2nd hand 5D. He was without a camera for 2-3 days and was cursing me. He got the camera at the weekend and cam ein on the Monday thanking me. The full frame format bring a whole new wolrd to you. My Nikon D3 is in for repair at the minute and I'm begging, borrowing and stealing other peoples camera that are crop sensor and nothing feels like a full frame sensor to me.

5D hands down...you won't have any regrets! Beautiful camera, fantastic images if you have the lenses to do it justice! (and thats from a Nikon user!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Haha - if you need cheap full frame get a film camera ;)

Nothing feels quite like a solid lump of 40 year old machined brass in your hand that whirrs and clicks as you prepare to take a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

5D is the winner. Image quality, low light performance, fullframe (for wide shots both landscape and street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

DDDDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

It depends really,If it's just for the wedding then obviously the 5D is the choice,But unless you're also a budding sports photographer then the 5D for that is really backwards for the 400D,These questions can usually be answered by the OP,If you shoot sports go for a 50D or a 1D if you don't take the 5D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is the difference for sports just the fps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Is the difference for sports just the fps?

The crop sensor means you get a longer zoom from your zoom lens,Although the 1.3 on the 1D camera's isn't much,The AF system probably in the 1DMKII is quicker than the 5D and I'd imagine the 1D MKIII is far better(if you get a good copy)The buffer i think in the 5D is quite small where as the 50D is definitely 20 frames + in jpeg(off the top pf my head)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

you need a 50D, but you want a 5D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

keep the 400D as backup and get a 5D (even 5D Mk II if you can afford). you could always use one as you need. I have a 40D, love it for actions and sporting events but I must say 5D has the "charm" when I see it in action (weddings, portrait, etc). There's just something about it!

That's something I wanted to do this year until the house got broken into few weeks ago, holidays plans and few other things come up this late. Although I would really like to screw the recession but I'm pretty much screwed myself at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Seán_B

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys! The 5D has always been the dream camera, I think if I tell the truth there was only going to be one choice. Just needed that reassuring nudge!

Now I have to go find a good second hand one for a decent price!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Sleepershark

50d

Advertisement