Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€135 to fit one shock

• 20-07-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

Today while i was in galway to go to merlin on a injury check up.
    i decided to go into advanced pitstop on the headford road to how much to get 2 new back shock for my punto and i eas told it was €135 to have just one fitted. would this be right. it seems alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

cena wrote: »
    i decided to go into advanced pitstop on the headford road to how much to get 2 new back shock for my punto and i eas told it was €135 to have just one fitted. would this be right. it seems alot.

Go and get a few quotes. Also checkout the cost of a pair of shocks too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you actually need a new shock or did you just pop into Advance and they told you?
    Anyhow, shocks should be replaced in pairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Odd that they quoted you for just one. Why do they need to be replaced anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

when i got the car last serviced i was told the back left had started leak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

cena wrote: »

If your still in Galway give the Galway Car Service Centre a shout. I've used them a few times and find them excellent[I have no other connection with them].

But definitely shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Shocking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Shocks are one of the easiest things to replace. Pick up a Haynes manual for your car and it'll explain how to do it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

wclarke20 wrote: »
    Shocks are one of the easiest things to replace. Pick up a Haynes manual for your car and it'll explain how to do it in detail.

Is it possible to to the job without the spring compression tool or are there any alternatives to it? Need to do mine and I recall how a friend told me he managed to do his without the spring compression tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Is it possible to to the job without the spring compression tool or are there any alternatives to it? Need to do mine and I recall how a friend told me he managed to do his without the spring compression tool.

Back shocks are easy, just jack up car until the wheel in question is off the ground, open the bolts at the top and bottom and replace the shock.(Do not try this with the front ones!!) no need for haynes manual, have a look yourself, the hardest bit is taking off the wheel;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

pred racer wrote: »
    Back shocks are easy, just jack up car until the wheel in question is off the ground, open the bolts at the top and bottom and replace the shock.(Do not try this with the front ones!!) no need for haynes manual, have a look yourself, the hardest bit is taking off the wheel;)

this is true on the punto. but not on all cars for anyone else trying it on a different model.
    If not sure ask someone who does not some stranger on the net.
    oh and that seems dear for a punto rear.

• Advertisement

Thanks for thoughtfulness pred racer but think it is a wee bit more difficult on my yoke as the spring goes around the shock as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Thanks for thoughtfulness pred racer but think it is a wee bit more difficult on my yoke as the spring goes around the shock as far as I know

the spring normally/always goes round the shock. (except on mine coz it has hydraulic suspension) when you open the top bolts (in the boot normally)the whole thing will fall down(after you jacked it up and removed the wheel of course), remove the bottom bolt take the shock out of the spring put in the new one and then replace the whole lot back in.
    its a couple of years ago but the last time I bought a set of shocks it was 75 quid for both rear shocks (seat cordoba)

take the shock out of the spring put in the new one

Is it that simple though pred racer? Do you not need a spring compression tool for that part of the process?

Advertisement