Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 870 Mag or super Mag?

Options
  • 20-07-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to buy one of these in the near future, but what I want to know is the Supermag worth the extra?
    I don't see myself shooting a whole lot of 3.5" stuff but for the odd time when you need a little more lead is it worth it?
    Anyone shooting an 870 Supermag?

I was sorely tempted by the marine version but the price has put me off, how does the standard Express finish hold up under field usage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Shooting a 1187 in supermag, use 3.5 BB rounds with a turkey choke on it for foxes, good for clean kills at 70 yards!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks Terrier I guess the 1187 would have slightly less recoil than the pump though!
    I used to use a Beretta A303 with a turkey choke and found it very good, maybe not as good as the supermag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I was sorely tempted by the marine version

The Marine Magnum version has a shorter barrel (18in?) and large mag tube so will fall under the restricted list. Would have been my choice too as it's a nice looker with the nickel, but the restricted stuff has put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

24in is your minimum and there is nothing to stop you from having a 3shot "long"mag tube 24in marine shotgun under the new laws.I have shot the Mossberg in 8shot with the 24in barrel,and TBH it feels totally out of balance.
    Personally,I would go get a gun finished in "dura marine" coat if you are going to be around saltwater alot.It is apprently the nest now on the market,as even SS and nickel will suffer eventually from salt corrision.Salt water must be the most non harmful corrosive liquid on this planet.Just as any scuba diver,I've noticed it even on my kit after being totally rinsed in fresh water.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    24in is your minimum and there is nothing to stop you from having a 3shot "long"mag tube 24in marine shotgun under the new laws.I have shot the Mossberg in 8shot with the 24in barrel,and TBH it feels totally out of balance.
    Personally,I would go get a gun finished in "dura marine" coat if you are going to be around saltwater alot.It is apprently the nest now on the market,as even SS and nickel will suffer eventually from salt corrision.Salt water must be the most non harmful corrosive liquid on this planet.Just as any scuba diver,I've noticed it even on my kit after being totally rinsed in fresh water.

What do you mean the 24" feels out of balance? Muzzle heavy or light?
    I wonder if the steel receiver of the 870 makes any difference?
    I don't plan on using the gun for anti-pirate duties but just like the idea of having a bit more corrosion resistance.Who does that dura-marine coat?
    Is it custom from some aftermarket firm?
    Grizzly, sounds like you need this stuff, I have never used it but saw it when on holidays.
    I have given up on that Scuba diving too much maintenance now I freedive/spearfish with the emphasis on free:D.

Edit: I just looked at the Remington catalogue and they have an 887 out now that is completely covered in a polymer that stops corrosion.
    Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    quote=CJhaughey;61249138]What do you mean the 24" feels out of balance? Muzzle heavy or light?

Muzzle heavy CJ.Maybe it is just me,but I have shot both the 24in and the 20in,and 18in Mossbergs and in pointability and feel the 8shot IMO is best in 20in.Maybe because the 20in barrel and tube are almost dead on in length,so you geat an O/U feeling to it?? in the 6shot config,I find the 24in the best pointing,which is my std day to day gun.18ins,well unless you are going into the BG line of work....:D
    I wonder if the steel receiver of the 870 makes any difference?
    I don't plan on using the gun for anti-pirate duties but just like the idea of having a bit more corrosion resistance
    Nah.Barrett 50cal is the job for that:D

Who does that dura-marine coat?
    Is it custom from some aftermarket firm?
    http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/
    Grizzly, sounds like you need this stuff, I have never used it but saw it when on holidays.
    I have given up on that Scuba diving too much maintenance now I freedive/spearfish with the emphasis on free:D.

Cheers.Looks like a intresting liquid.
    Becoming too old for all this breath diving malarkey meself:)

Edit: I just looked at the Remington catalogue and they have an 887 out now that is completely covered in a polymer that stops corrosion.
    Hmmm.
    [/QUOTE]
    That proably the marine/dura coate idea being now used commerically.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement