Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm Zones??

Options
  • 20-07-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice on how many zones to setup for a house alarm.
    The house itself is prewired with 6-core Alarm cable, I was thinking about the following setup:

Zone 1 : 1 X Magnetic Contact for Front Door
    Zone 2 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Front Hall Window
    Zone 3 : 2 X Inertia Sensor Sitting Room Window
    Zone 4 : 1 X PIR Sensor Sitting Room
    Zone 5 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Downstairs Bathroom Window
    Zone 6 : 1 X PIR Sensor Kitchen/Dining Room
    Zone 7 : 1 X Magnetic Contact Patio Door
    Zone 7 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Patio Door
    Zone 8 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Kitchen Window
    Zone 9 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Landing Window
    Zone 10 : 1 X PIR Sensor Landing
    Zone 11 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Box Room Window
    Zone 12 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Front Bedroom Window
    Zone 13 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Back Bedroom Window
    Zone 14 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Upstairs Bathroom Window

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice on how many zones to setup for a house alarm.
    The house itself is prewired with 6-core Alarm cable, I was thinking about the following setup:

Zone 1 : 1 X Magnetic Contact for Front Door
    Zone 2 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Front Hall Window
    Zone 3 : 2 X Inertia Sensor Sitting Room Window
    Zone 4 : 1 X PIR Sensor Sitting Room
    Zone 5 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Downstairs Bathroom Window
    Zone 6 : 1 X PIR Sensor Kitchen/Dining Room
    Zone 7 : 1 X Magnetic Contact Patio Door
    Zone 7 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Patio Door
    Zone 8 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Kitchen Window
    Zone 9 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Landing Window
    Zone 10 : 1 X PIR Sensor Landing
    Zone 11 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Box Room Window
    Zone 12 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Front Bedroom Window
    Zone 13 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Back Bedroom Window
    Zone 14 : 1 X Inertia Sensor Upstairs Bathroom Window

Thanks
    Dave

6 zones
    1 front door
    2 PIR Sensor Sitting Room
    3 PIR Sensor Kitchen/Dining Room
    4 PIR Sensor Landing
    5 downstairs "7 sensors"
    6 upstairs "5 sensors"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If they are all wired separately and you do have 14 zones that you need to connect then the Signet with an 8 zone expander will do the job.
    If they are not you could still achieve what you have set out below by wiring all the zones dual eol.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    If they are all wired separately and you do have 14 zones that you need to connect then the Signet with an 8 zone expander will do the job.
    If they are not you could still achieve what you have set out below by wiring all the zones dual eol.

+1

Squeezing systems into 6 zones went out with the CS350.
    The more zones you use the more flexible and reliable your system will be.
    It is also mush easier to fault find should the need arise.

koolkid wrote: »
    Squeezing systems into 6 zones went out with the CS350

funny you should say that as you wrote this in "Which house alarm to buy?" Astec system sensors on your windows & doors it will also distinguish between sensor contacts & panic buttons all on the same home run.

To me this means you dont just put a single sensor on each run or loop of cable as you say.
    Kind of odd since you made it clear that this went out with the CS350.

I do agree with you that it makes it mush easier to fault find should the need arise, but any good alarm installer can find a problem on a system that has the sensors looped together on one zone if needs be..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    funny you should say that as you wrote this in "Which house alarm to buy?" Astec system sensors on your windows & doors it will also distinguish between sensor contacts & panic buttons all on the same home run.
    I was referring to the Astec Fusion which is a 10 zone panel.
    Why you posted my quote about the CS350 I don't know :confused::confused:
    I will always use 1 cable per zone. If need be 2 or 3 zones per single cable.
    I was referring to the Ability of the Astec system to be able to identify different devices on the same cable.
    The PA reference was also referring to the flexability of the system. ie A person wants a PA beside there bed but there is no cable. In that situation it can be wired in series with thw window.
    altor wrote: »
    I do agree with you that it makes it mush easier to fault find should the need arise, but any good alarm installer can find a problem on a system that has the sensors looped together on one zone if needs be..
    Agreed but as this is a place where the end users post their problems, thats the type of person I was referring to.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    I was referring to the Astec Fusion which is a 10 zone panel.
    Why you posted my quote about the CS350 I don't know :confused::confused:
    I will always use 1 cable per zone. If need be 2 or 3 zones per single cable.
    I was referring to the Ability of the Astec system to be able to identify different devices on the same cable.
    The PA reference was also referring to the flexability of the system. ie A person wants a PA beside there bed but there is no cable. In that situation it can be wired in series with thw window.

Agreed but as this is a place where the end users post their problems, thats the type of person I was referring to.

The reason i posted this is because it is not always possible to put a single sensor on a zone if the cable is looped by a group of windows.. sorry if it confused you so much..
    As you say if a person wants a panic beside there bed and there is no cable it can be ran in series with the window like putting a group of windows on one zone..
    My point is there is no problem putting a group of sensors on a single zone as per manufactures installation instructions..

I agree. But only if absolutly necessary.
    As you know even a 4 core cable can support 3 zones.
    So what is the benefit of looping them if its not necessary.????

Advertisement