Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've decided thats it, no more!

• 20-07-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

No more jumping towards when I'm trying to do an SRK!

I thought the pad was alright but I've had enough with the minute inputs. I know I've made a couple threads before about getting a stick but well, I've decided that I'm going to make my own.

So what I want to ask is this, would anyone here know where to look for parts and aside from the PCB that I'll be extracting from my X360 pad, what other parts do I need? My brother is a computer engineer who has some considerable experience with soldering who'll help me along the way so no need to worry about the soldering.

I've decided since I don't have any real experience with sticks in general, I'll go with the top market standard parts which will be Sanwa parts, specifically, the ones used in the TE edition stick.

I'm hoping to make it into a wireless controller as well since I'll be using my X360 pad's PCB and also, being inspired by Kiki's design, I've decided to include the PS3 pad PCB as well to make it dual compatible.

So, ultimately, what I'd like to ask is this. Where should I buy the Sanwa parts and all the bits in between? I know that when it comes to the casing, thats something I'll have to sort out with a carpenter or metal worker unless any of you know where I can get some ready made cases? I'm really going to do it this time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Here and here are the most useful links I know of for that sort of thing. Although I'm sure there are some good links on SRK as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Welcome to the world of stick making! :)

Your first stop will be Slagcoin.com, where you'll find all the info you could possibly need for making a stick.
    Next, get your Paypal account all warmed up and say hi to the dude at ArcadeShop.DE.
    Though if you want to get a PS3 Cthulhu board, check Toodles' thread on SRK and/or order from LizardLick.com (I take no responsibility if you get hit by import taxes though!)

I think I've seen some ready-made cases on eBay, too; but then, half the fun is in making it yourself :D

Gremlins would probably work out cheaper than that German place as its in the UK. A few of us up here have ordered direct from Toodles and were not hit with import tax =D. Another useful one: SRK link. If you want to talk (or at least forum talk) there are several experienced stick modders on Neo Empire.

Well, Arcadeshop.DE is €2.20 incl. VAT for Sanwa buttons, Gremlin are £1.70+VAT so it's pretty much even there.
    And for JLFs, Arcadeshop are €22 incl. VAT, while Gremlin charge £18+VAT.

Arcadeshop.DE also seem to have more diverse selection of parts.
    The only thing they don't stock are Sanwa MS-Y-3 microswitches (of which I need 4, right now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, Gremlin came up in my google search for Sanwa parts. Although Gremlin may be a UK shop, I'd trust a German site over it :P. I'm sure they don't muck about :).

The Cthulu board sounds like a cool idea but problem is, it lacks ze wirelessness :). Although, the added feature of being able to hook it up to a PC or getting Multiboard one for xbox1 support (SF anniversary collection) would be nice.

I could live with the wire but would it be possible to hook up the X360 PCB along with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Gremlin never emailed me back when I mailed them to ask about shipping to Ireland so feck them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Have a look at http://gamingnow.net/DIY.html
    I've ordered them before and everything was perfect. Modded my SE with Sanwa parts
    and added a Cthulu.
    I also ordered the Polycarbonate Control Panel to try build my own at some stage.

I've ordered from arcadeshop.de before and they were great, every was packaged exceptionally.

Just ordered a Cthulu and IMP from them last night from GamingNow to mod my TE.

The Cthulu is probably the easiest way to do a multi stick mod or a new build. Pickup a Madcatz pad if you want an xbox pcb. Argos are selling them for €29.99 if you want to get one quickly.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Although Gremlin may be a UK shop, I'd trust a German site over it :P. I'm sure they don't muck about :).

LOL What is your reasoning?
    Leprekaun wrote: »
    The Cthulu board sounds like a cool idea but problem is, it lacks ze wirelessness :). Although, the added feature of being able to hook it up to a PC or getting Multiboard one for xbox1 support (SF anniversary collection) would be nice.

Some tournaments only allow the use of wired sticks for some reason. So sticking to a wired stick might not be a bad idea. I'm not sure why that is however. Someone else might be able to answer that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

I'm sure it's because of lag and batteries running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Also, crowd interference. Check out Evo Soul calibur matches for that one. Players were using wireless ps3 controllers and somebody in the crowd was synced up and pausing the game.

dont have that problem with wired.....tho u DO occasionally have people yanking thier usb cords out :p

• Advertisement

Well, this wouldn't be for Evo :). I think my bro and I were the only X360 players using wireless controllers at the last meet and there were no real issues. I'd be mainly wanting it to be wireless so when I'm at home, I just press the guide button to power it up rather than having to make a long USB cable and having to connect it everytime and risk of people tripping over the wire since I have my X360 connected to the TV in my living room.

In terms of batteries, I always make sure that I'm using fully charged batteries and they tend to last for about month or more so shouldn't be any disconnects during any matches.

I was considering actually going for the full job of creating a cabinet and get an HD monitor to put it in for the ultimate arcade experience :P but I'll just focus on making a stick for now.

If you want to see the full horrors of wireless controllers, watch the Evo 2k8 Tekken Grand Final, Ryan Hart vs Gandido. Final round, Hart losing, someone paused the match on port 3, but Gandido was handed the penalty.
    Horrid stuff.

The other reason to use a (Madcatz, wired) controller is that it's very hard to wire up a wireless 360 pad together with a Cthulhu, since the wireless 360 pad isn't common-ground. (Lag btw isn't an issue, Toodles did a test himself to check it)

Having said that, why not make 2 sticks, and have 1 be a wireless 360 stick for home use?

Well, would it be possible to have it dual? I mean, could it be possible to have a power switch so that I can switch the power between USB or batteries, that would be a handy way of doing it because making 2 sticks means double the parts and double the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Somone on srk did this. Looks like a fairly serious job.
    Heres the thread http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194525

mr_kyle wrote: »
    LOL What is your reasoning?

Just from previous experience with different sellers. As everything in Germany, very efficient :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

may i point your attention to this site if you dont know it already people..

www.lizardlick.com

good site for arcade parts also and i've heard good things from people!

Yeah, but LL sometimes get backlogged like CRAZY, so they end up catering to US customers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, but LL sometimes get backlogged like CRAZY, so they end up catering to US customers first.

still though that was at the time of the stick boom i'm sure they will improve as the want dies down

Advertisement