Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kennedys' Cadets

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Caught the documentary when it was on, they handled it very well I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

great post watching it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Saw it when it was on TV, it was largely forgotten for many years. But it was quite an honour for Irish soldiers to be present at the funeral of an American president.

I was surprised I realised that I actually knew one of those taking part. Lt Col Peter McMahon ex Air Corps. Met him in RTE while filming a piece for in documentary recontruction. He was actually playing Sean McBride as a lawyer in a scene.

Recently I saw him interviewed as an EU peace monitor in the Georgia. That's quite some career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Seen this on TV on TG4.Great show.Made me very proud.Cant imagine the unit that does all the drills in america were happy about this at the time(Dont know are the call 1st Guard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

shezer wrote: »
    Seen this on TV on TG4.Great show.Made me very proud.Cant imagine the unit that does all the drills in america were happy about this at the time(Dont know are the call 1st Guard).

3rd Infantry - the Old Guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Thats the one.Thanks.Is their main function drilling?If so it would be very annoying to have a foreign army drill on your turf for your president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

shezer wrote: »
    Thats the one.Thanks.Is their main function drilling?If so it would be very annoying to have a foreign army drill on your turf for your president

They were mentioned and shown frequently on the Documentary. There didn't seem to be much animosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

First post in this forum. I saw the thread on the main boards page.

Its a very interesting story, particularly when you think how, in her time of mourning, Jackie Kennedy requested the cadets to honour the esteem her husband held them in.

I hope that the only reference to the cadets at the Arlington museum wasnt the letter held in storage from the Irish Defence Forces. Obviously there must be a huge number of exhibits from US wars over the years but hopefully there is a small public exhibit to a foreign army at a significant US event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Just watched it now and was quite impressed given that it was JFK. Imagine if it had been Nixon or Johnson :D

Advertisement