Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinical experience

• 21-07-2009 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I was just wondering if anyone would know how I would go about getting some experience working on a clinical research project? have just finished my undergrad and trying to get as much experience as possible before going onto post grad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Ask your lecturers if they need anyone to help out on projects, if they know anyone who'd like a volunteer to help carry out the 'donkey work' of research. Ask post-grads if they want a hand. Ask everyone! Don't be shy, you'll probably get the odd bit to do - or at least they'll be able to pass you on to other people.

PS you could also try the self-help organisations Aware, Recovery, Recover.ie, ocdireland if they are aware of any research being done in their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yoohoo

oh thats great advice thanks very much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 carl_d

hey there, i came across your post and was curious as to what course you wreakon you are going to complete in order to pursue your career as a clinical psychologist? I'm at the same stage as yourself and torn between either clinical or counselling.. are you going to try to apply to a clinical psych course straight away without doing a masters first? I have researched this and am either thinking of the Masters in counselling in cork or clinical in either galway or trinity. Similarly i have no experience as of yet and don't really know where to start looking apart from Nexus (an organisation for ppl who suffered sexual abuse) or Womans Aid etc..

any advice you have to spare would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey I'm in the exact same situation im kinda between counselling and clinical but leaning more towards clinical at the moment but the Phd in counselling psych in TCD is easier to get into so may do that.

I'm going to try apply for the Phd course straight away the same as yourself in galway or trinity but i'm also gonna apply for a masters just in case I don't get in... maybe the applied psychology 1 year masters in trinity.

at the moment I do some volunteer work in the national rehab hospital in Dublin working with brain injured patients and I was onto the course coordinator for counselling psych in trinity and he said this was good enough!! and for the next year im gona do a couple of short certificate courses in sport psychology and counselling skills that kinda thing... I figure it cant hurt! and I'm hoping to find someone who needs a bit of help doin some research even some data collection or stats or somethin

Thats my plan anyway hope it helps :)

Immense!! It's great to find someone in a similar position as myself! I feel so confused as to what to do right now, i know its going to be difficult to get into a phd right away without maybe a masters first, but i really couldnt be arsed with the masters! tell me this, do you think there would be many career opportunities in counselling psych. in ireland in 4 years time? this is what makes me think clinical would be the better option!

Also, do you plan to fund yourself for these courses?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I know its great to find someone else in the same situation as anyone i'v talked to seems so organised! yeah it'l be hard alright but if ya can skip the masters that'l be a whole year saved. well im kinda relying on gettin a higher education grant to get me thru the years :rolleyes:. ah i think there will stil be good job opportunities in 4 years time i don't see why not

cool, cool.. just many job opportunities i seen were more set for clinical rather than counselling!!! if you dont mind me asking, where did you obtain your under-grad?? I done mine in queens (belfast) and another problem is whether the irish psychological society will deem that as being 'accredited' since i completed it under the british psychological society..

ahhh problems galore!!

thanks for your help though :)

I got mine in Dublin in iadt!ah i wouldnt worry bout that at all once its accredited by the bps i think its automatically accredited by psi!

no probs i'm glad to help :) and if you have any advice to offer me i'd gladly accept

hello there! im back to wreak your head again!! unfortunately i have no advise for you.. :( im pretty useless! i just read our posts again and see that you have actually been in contact with staff involved in the counselling at trinity.. is that for the doctorate in counselling?? i was looking it up and it says "at least a year of relevant experience"... scarey..

1 more thing.. do u know th difference between having a masters in counselling and a doctorate? can you practice as a counsellor if you only have the masters????

well when i was onto the staff about the doctorate they said my work experience in the national rehab hospital is good enough so hopefully it is. i'm not really sure of the difference but i think it would be a lot harder to find work with just a masters rather than a doctorate but i'm not really too sure. i think most of them have been changed to doctorate courses now tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

This is the most och ward career to get experience,

what dya mean "och ward" ??????

Advertisement