Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 week abs challenge

Options
  • 21-07-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Statistics:
    Age = 24
    Gender = male
    Height = 6 ft
    Weight = 95 kg
    Waist = 34-36 inches

Aims: To carry out the 16 Weeks abs challenge on YouTube at an intermediate level. I’ am not concerned about getting a six pack but would like to tone up. I first spotted this challenge on the fitness forum and when I YouTubed it I was impressed with the fact that it seems like an all over workout. I also liked that it was not trying to sell anything, just a free workout routine. I would ideally like to get down to 80-85kg.
    Background: Fluctuate between avid user of the gym and back down to just once a week. Play a lot of Gaelic but have been severely hampered this year due to recurring torn hamstring. I’ am of a strong build and average fitness due to recurring hamstring problem. I eat relatively healthy but can have bad days that probably ruin the good days. I do not drink every week or so, but prefer to pick an event where there is a gathering and go on a right tear and then possibly not drink for another two months

How To Get Ripped Abs In 16 Weeks (Week 1) The Abs Challenge
    All exercises are done in supersets.
    Perform 1a then move immediately to 1b and then take the recommended "rest time."
    Repeat for a total of the recommended sets before moving to the next "superset."
    For example, "1a" are supersetted with "1b." Do NOT rest within the superset (between "1a" and "1b"),
    but rest for the recommended rest time after "1b" before repeating the superset.

So it looks like this:

1a (x seconds) +1b (x seconds) + rest time (x seconds) = first set

1a (x seconds) +1b (x seconds) + rest time (x seconds) = second set

(if you are doing two sets)

Recommended Work Time, Rest Time, and Sets

-Beginners-
    15 seconds work time
    35 second break in between supersets
    2 sets for each superset

-Intermediate-
    20 seconds work time
    30 second break in between supersets
    3 sets for each superset

-Advanced-
    30 seconds work time
    25 second break in between supersets
    3 sets for each superset

Note: Perform this workout 3x for week 1

Week 1

1a: Pushup
    1b: DB Squat

2a: Chin Up
    2b: Forward Lunge

3a: Shoulder Press
    3b: Hamstring Curl

4a: Mountain Climbers
    4b: Plank

How to maximize your fat loss results:

Perform interval training cardio immediately after this workout routine.
    Sprint for 20 seconds (70% of your max)
    Walk for 30 seconds
    Repeat for 6 rounds

Monday 20 Jul. 09
    Started week 1 of the abs challenge.
    Found the workout enjoyable and varied. It only took about 40mins and I was surprised that I was a small bit tired after it. Considered doing a bit more of a workout but decided against as I have GAA training on Tuesday.

Today I had Special k with whole milk, 3 mandarins, sandwich with ham/chicken and salad, 3 jaffa cakes, bowl of special k and finally a sandwich with 5 slices of picnic ham which I hate but that’s all that was in the fridge. It’s not great but I vow to improve.

Would be grateful if posters take a look at the abs challenge on Youtube and give me a verdict whether ye think it is worth my while or not
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRo3p4eIKI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 52

21 Jul. 09
    Today I woke up and felt my quads and hamstrings a small bit tight due to the previous nights workout. I’m glad to be working these muscles as I strained my quad at the start of the year and have pulled my hamstring 3 times so far which is disappointing as this is the first year that I have been plagued with injury. I also feel that I have learnt the hard way that you should not go back training until your injury is 110% ready.
    I had Gaelic training tonight for 80 mins which consisted of large amounts of short distance speed work at approx 70% which consisted of running with and striking the ball. My legs which were initially tight freed up after 10 mins and some stretching. The air was clammy which led to a lot of sweating.

Breakfast: bowl of Special k
    Snack: two mandarins
    Lunch: Thai chicken in a wrap with salad
    Snack before training: 3 jaffa cakes
    Snack after training : 3 jaffa cakes
    Final Meal : Beans with brown toast ( there was a steak cooked and ready for me at home after training but I find steak sits in my stomach, or should I keep eating steak regularly if I intend to carry out the 16 week abs challenge???)

I usually drink close on two litres of water a day.
    Trying to consciously eat less to get my stomach used needing less food.
    Meant to say in my stats that I ’am 24 years.

Looking forward to completing part 2 of week 1 exercises.
    Have taken initial pictures as I start the challenge and I intend to take pictures of myself at the end of every four weeks to monitor progress

Wednesday 22nd July 2009.
    Continued with the programme for week one.
    I ‘am finding when you put the effort in with the workout and only allow the maximum amount of rest time between sets (30secs) that you build up quite a sweat which is a good sign hopefully indicating that I ‘am putting myself under pressure . The workout only took about 45mins.
    I’m finding the hamstring curl with the ball very good and hope it does eventually lead to strengthening my hamstrings.

Breakfast: Special K whole milk
    Lunch : Chicken and Bacon in a Ciabatta with salad and brie cheese
    Snack : Mandarin
    Snack before training : 3 jaffas
    Snack after training : 3 jaffas
    Final Meal : 5 slices of Deli Ham, Special K and a yogurt
    Drink : two litres of water during the day
    Hope to improve what I’m eating as soon as I get better organised which is probably not a great excuse

Could anyone with more experience recommend what weight I should be using for the DB squat as in the video on YouTube you’re not given any real indication of weight, currently I’m using 15kg doing reps of 15 x 3.

Thursday 23rd July 2009
    Woke up this morning a bit stiff possibly from d gym last night or Gaelic session on Tuesday. Had a Gaelic training today which went on for an hour and involved various drills with the ball a short rest periods in between drills, it was not very intense due to time of year and games approaching .

Breakfast: Bowl of Special k
    Snack : Mandarin
    Lunch : Ciabatta with chicken and small amount of bacon and cheese.
    Main Meal: Sherperds Pie and two yogurts
    After Training : Special K
    Drank : 2 litres of water.

Completed final part of week one abs challenge today. Did not get the same enjoyment out of it today possibly due to not getting any rest days. So lookn forward to no training tommorrow
    had a replicate of yesterday diets with and drank just under two litres of water.

Advertisement