Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland in 2009: everything still has its price

• 21-07-2009 1:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

So, my car failed the NCT despite having spent €500 doing repairs. I went back to the mechanic and he sympathised with my plight finishing up with, 'Listen, we can get it to pass the NCT as I know a fella in there but it will cost you €250. That's between me and you though.'

He was serious, and I didn't doubt him for a minute. I retold the offer afterwards to somebody who knows his cars and his response was 'That's a rip-off, I know a guy in [blank] NCT centre and he'll do it for €150. Do you want me to ring him for you?'

I came home and said it to somebody at home and apparently this has been in the news lately. A quick Google later and low-and-behold more info on this handy number by employees of NCT produced this article:

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/jul/12/testers-allegedly-took-bribes-to-pass-unroadworthy/

I note the NCT employees were accused of getting only €50 per car, and my mechanic was saying it would cost me €250. Yes, I truly was being ripped-off. Well done once again, Ireland. From the very top to the bottom, this is a great country where everything can be bought and where law and order and its servants all have their price.

Are the judges also being bribed, or is it only a certain few? Are we not being told about it because the illusion of an open and fair system is important to the stability of the political system? Are Leaving Cert examiners being bribed, or is it only a certain few? We know very, very many politicians have been bribed. But my NCT test just brings the utter corruption, the absolute rot, in this state in 2009 home to me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Too easy... just too easy... must...control...myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I have a friend who will sort you out for €120...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Biggins wrote: »

Couldn't improve on that answer.:D
    Must resist...............

Charco wrote: »
    I have a friend who will sort you out for €120...
    €120 :eek: Do you know my ex-wife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Liar, you are gone off to find a few links and be back in a while to post a few pages :pac: :p

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »
    Liar, you are gone off to find a few links and be back in a while to post a few pages :pac: :p

LOL Only need one link for that: www.unitedpeople.ie :D

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've said this before, the reason our national emblem is a harp, is because the country is ran by pulling strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I note the NCT employees were accused of getting only €50 per car, and my mechanic was saying it would cost me €250.

How much of that money do you think was for the Mechanic for marketing and sales of the NCT guys services?

Perhaps the NCT guy knew you were coming and failed you by arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

LOL Only need one link for that: www.unitedpeople.ie :D

:p

I know a guy who'll fix that site up for €60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Glad i don't have a car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i have no sympathy for anyone who brings their car to a mechanic before going to the nct! end of! it is in their interests to tell you x,y and z needs to be done! put it through nct, find out what needs to be done, get it done and then return it! most common things that fail, that you can sort out yourself tyres and bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should have posted this in Motors. If you have evidence of the NCT test process potentially being compromised, you should go to the Gardai with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The title of this thread should be ...

<Insert random country here> in <insert random year here>: everything still has its price

If you seriously think this kind of thing only goes on here in Ireland, then you're clearly delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Alun wrote: »
    The title of this thread should be ...

<Insert random country here> in <insert random year here>: everything still has its price

If you seriously think this kind of thing only goes on here in Ireland, then you're clearly delusional.
    Do they do NCT's in Brazil too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is the op's point the corruption of it or the cost of the corruption?
    I cant tell where the moral outrage is? :D

If I was told I'd get a pass for an extra 50 bones I would take it no problem
    But my POS car wouldnt be likely to pass anyway.

But then living in Ireland I am losing what moral compass I had.

Our government through their ineptitude and greed has condemned future generations with crippling debt through their mismanagement
    Our catholic church & state were complicit in the heinous abuse of thousands of young people for decades and still today couldnt really give a sh*t.
    The fat cats and political classes have been frankly raping this country for years....... etc.....

Rant over but my point is, considering the crimes our leaders are guilty of,
    Handing over some extra wad for a yellow sticker in your windscreen doesnt make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Theres a recession on, so surely someone will spot a gap in the market and realise they can undercut these goons by simply investing in a colour printer, the NCT is only a bit of paper after all! It means f**k all else, lets be honest. They have a look at your car in 20 mins, you could drive out, hit a speed bump and banjax your exhaust / brakes / steering and your car would still be NCT'd :rolleyes:

€30 for the bit of paper sounds reasonable? These lads have been ripping people off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Is the op's point the corruption of it or the cost of the corruption?
    I cant tell where the moral outrage is? :D

If I was told I'd get a pass for an extra 50 bones I would take it no problem
    But my POS car wouldnt be likely to pass anyway.

But then living in Ireland I am losing what moral compass I had.

Our government through their ineptitude and greed has condemned future generations with crippling debt through their mismanagement
    Our catholic church & state were complicit in the heinous abuse of thousands of young people for decades and still today couldnt really give a sh*t.
    The fat cats and political classes have been frankly raping this country for years....... etc.....

Rant over but my point is, considering the crimes our leaders are guilty of,
    Handing over some extra wad for a yellow sticker in your windscreen doesnt make any difference.

That's grand, but what if you were buying a car... Woudl you be happy buying it in the knowledge that the NCT tester was thrown a 50 Euro note to walk the car through the test even though defects are present that should cause the car to fail???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's grand, but what if you were buying a car... Woudl you be happy buying it in the knowledge that the NCT tester was thrown a 50 Euro note to walk the car through the test even though defects are present that should cause the car to fail???

Yes that would probably be an issue for some.

If I were buying a car it would be checked from top to toe before money changes hands anyway....

I'd like a car to have one because its the law.

But in terms of how well the vehicle works or is likely to last The NCT means sweet FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sizzler wrote: »
    Do they do NCT's in Brazil too?
    The equivalent of an NCT, probably yes. Every country in Europe has something identical in all but name. Some have it organised in such a way that local garages perform the test, with only occasional spot checks from the authorities. 3 guesses what set up has more scope for fraud?

This whole thing is just a "dog bites man" story really. The NCT, like any system, is run by people. People are fallible, end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Alun wrote: »
    The equivalent of an NCT, probably yes. Every country in Europe has something identical in all but name. Some have it organised in such a way that local garages perform the test, with only occasional spot checks from the authorities. 3 guesses what set up has more scope for fraud?
    Brazil isn't in Europe....

:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement