Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHERE TO BUY RABBITS

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    Can anyone here tell me where to buy rabbits?
    I live in Dublin and haven't tasted rabbit since I was in Portugal years ago, and used to eat it alot when I was a kid.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Most decent pet stores stock em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

HaHa v.funny:D.

To eat Sink, To eat.
    No fluffy bunny's for me.

Seriously, they use to sell rabbits in Moore St. but not sure if they do anymore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

JC's in Swords have them (I think). Ask your local butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The butchers on moore st has them

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

i used to see whole rabbit for sale in supervalu, not sure about now. but i'm sure if you ask a local butcher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've seen saddle of bugs bunny for sale in the FXBs on Moore street a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

pretty sure dunnes in donnybrook can get them, also most of the butchers on camden/wexford street (best one is hogans)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Lawlors on the Upr Rathmines Rd and in Mortens by the Beechwood Luas stop usually have rabbit in stock, though it's sometimes in their back freezer rather than out on display. Just ask and they'll get it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i usually get mine from moore st, I have one in the fridge now, my dads friend caught it yum rabbit stew on a rainy day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thanks all for replying.
    I never knew rabbits where still in demand.
    Anyone know how much they cost.

When I get some I'll be back on to ask for some recipes:D. nothing hard though.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Small rabbits (compared to the bigger ones you can get in other countries. are between €5 and €10, whole. Depending where you go, that includes head, etc. But that's rare.

Particularly delicious to look out for are whole rabbits with their kidneys still attached.

For comparison, rabbits in France cost between €5 and €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Fenlons in Stillorgan do rabbit, as does the buther in mount merrion , cant remember the name though sorry, its across from Kiely's pub

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Just spotted this thread - OK for you lads in Dublin, but anyone know where I can get rabbit (the edible variety!) in/around Limerick? I've seen plenty of them hopping about our country roads, but they never seem to quite make it to the local butcher's window!

Thanks in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,447 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

iora_rua wrote: »
    Just spotted this thread - OK for you lads in Dublin, but anyone know where I can get rabbit (the edible variety!) in/around Limerick? I've seen plenty of them hopping about our country roads, but they never seem to quite make it to the local butcher's window!

Thanks in anticipation.
    A friend who shoots should be able to help you

Mellor wrote: »
    Have sent PM - many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Mellor wrote: »

In fairness just because he is from Limerick doesn't mean that he has friends with guns! ;)

There is a butchers on George St Dun Laoghaire that has rabbits. Can't remember the name off hand though sorry

doncarlos wrote: »
    In fairness just because he is from Limerick doesn't mean that he has friends with guns! ;)

There is a butchers on George St Dun Laoghaire that has rabbits. Can't remember the name off hand though sorry

Now, now, enough of the Limerick jokes, thank you! As a sort of 'blow-in', I can say that it's a very nice place to live - as long as you keep your wits about you - and that could apply to a lot of places in Ireland!

But back to the rabbits (please note, I was looking for rabbits outside The Pale!!) - it was thanks to Mellor that I got started on a bit of a trail through the hunting/shooting/fishing forums and eventually ended up finding that I can get wild rabbit in the English Market in Cork (www.corkenglishmarket.ie for anyone else interested), along with a lot of other game and exotic meat (whether I can afford it all or not is another thing!).

Anyway, I'm sure the Dun Laoghaire rabbits will be welcomed by someone else a bit nearer, so thank you for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

iora_rua wrote: »
    Now, now, enough of the Limerick jokes, thank you! As a sort of 'blow-in', I can say that it's a very nice place to live - as long as you keep your wits about you
    and a gun by your side..

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Fresh in Smithfield have saddle of rabbit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

every good woman should have a rabbit or a bob some gals call em:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If anyone's looking for rabbits on the north side of Dublin, JC's supermarket in Swords have them for €7.99.

Advertisement