Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent supplement thing.

Options
  • 21-07-2009 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

A friend is leaving his family home and is on a social welfare payment. Can he claim the rent supplement straight away or does he have to have been renting himself first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Whats the 'family home'?

If he is living with his parents, he needs to be renting by himself independently or in a rent share for 6 months. I think this was a new measure introduced in one of the budgets.

If he is living with a partner thru a mortgage or rent free, i'm not sure what the arrangement is. Perhaps another poster could clarify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

His parents have asked him to leave but he cant afford to rent for 6 months first. He's on disability allowance for a few years. I'll tell him to go to the local health centre to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Post back here on what happens,

The following may help.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

It looks that he can go on a housing list and maybe entitled to it as it appears the 6 month waiting list is for those in employment/unemployed(these must go on housing list to get around it).
    You may be eligible for Rent Supplement if the accommodation is suitable for your needs, the rent is below the maximum rent level set for your county and you are:

On certain disability payments. That is, Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Invalidity Pension..

Advertisement