Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henderson v Franklin II at UFC103

Options
  • 21-07-2009 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

It has been confirmed - Henderson v Franklin at UFC103.

The comments so far are VERY negative over at UFC.com - nobody seems interested in seeing this again.

So why has the match been made? Does this interest you? Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Didnt particularly want to see it the first time, didnt think it was a great fight, dont want to see it again. I am guessing its Franklin looking for it, but no real point for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

What weight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Middleweight

Rich looks so much better at 205 and that is where he should stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's not really one of those fights that was so good the first time or hugely controversially won that it deserves the squeal treatment and twice in 9 months at that :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Definately not one for the fans, a very strange decision.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Dan back in there with Anderson would be a better match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Definately not one for the fans

Not really their last fight did better than expected numbers on PPV for a European show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

dunkamania wrote: »
    Didnt particularly want to see it the first time, didnt think it was a great fight, dont want to see it again. I am guessing its Franklin looking for it, but no real point for it.

agree, think Franklin was robbed so maybe thats why he's after it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Devastator wrote: »

The crowd where split on that, i gave it to Hendo.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I also thought hendo won it

cowzerp wrote: »
    The crowd where split on that, i gave it to Hendo.

fair do's, everyone's got an opinion. At the time I thought it worked out suitably for the UFC as Franklin had already coached on TUF(also made some coaching on series 1 if I remember correctly) and think the UFC wanted a different face in.

Rampage's appearance as a coach again kinda puts that opinion to question, but I think due to his personality he could be a big draw

Devastator wrote: »

I gave that one to Hendo too, I'm thinking KO this time. flash ko by hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dunkamania wrote: »
    Middleweight

F4WOnline.com says lightheavyweight

In one way I don't see the point to it, but then they really are stuck for a main event for this show, the first fight did good business, and Henderson is a bigger star after that KO over Bisping, so it's a logical enough fight for them, even if neither fighter really moves ahead in their division with a win

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Strange decision for sure. Franklin has more to gain with this as he lost the first one. They've stated they want Hendo at 185 and Franklin at 205. Why give them a pointless fight for a second time.

Joe Silva must be losing it. :D What's next Lesnar v Florian?

I do not see any logic behind this fight. Hendo has put himself next inline for a title shot.

Rich moved up to LHW and looked all the better for it. I'd like to see Franklin take on other LHW's maybe someone like Vera

Did the last two posters read my post?! Do you not see the business logic in this fight? The UFC is run as a business, not as a pure sport, so there's no point in looking at their decisions from a pure sport perspective

Fozzy wrote: »
    Did the last two posters read my post?! Do you not see the business logic in this fight? The UFC is run as a business, not as a pure sport, so there's no point in looking at their decisions from a pure sport perspective

...and that concludes our first class, business 101. :rolleyes:

Fans do not want to see this fight. I would suggest that this fight is mainly due to scheduling.

I think Hendo is being lined up as the new middle weight champion. Silva is more likely to fight Lyoto as GSP will not fight him anything soon.

T-K-O wrote: »
    ...and that concludes our first class, business 101. :rolleyes:

What are you being sarcastic for? You said that you don't see the logic behind the fight. I already stated a few logical reasons for it

What fans don't want to see it? I'll bet anything on the rematch doing a bigger buyrate than the initial fight. A lot of that will be due to it being in the US, but saying that fans don't want to see it is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

What happened to Tito Vs Who Ever as the main event for 103? :(

• Advertisement

Fair enough it might make some sense from a business point of view. But I would have thought they would be able to find a different headliner for a card than a rematch of two guys whose weight classes the UFC itself has different ideas for.

Don't get me wrong it's going to be a war and I'll watch it but it's just slowing down Hendo's shot at Silva again and he's not getting younger.

Fozzy wrote: »
    What are you being sarcastic for? You said that you don't see the logic behind the fight. I already stated a few logical reasons for it

What fans don't want to see it? I'll bet anything on the rematch doing a bigger buyrate than the initial fight. A lot of that will be due to it being in the US, but saying that fans don't want to see it is nonsense

The last time I checked the PPV numbers on the UFC they seemed to all the same.
    From the early days the numbers have increased at a steady pace regardless of who is actually fighting. Sure mega fights with the likes of Gracie, BJ V GSP will have greater numbers but in general the patten is failry similiar.

So yes this event will more than likely generate more ppv buys but so would almost anyone taking the main stage.

UFC fans are a loyal bunch but the majority of guys would not have picked this match-up.

Kazooie, the UFC have been struggling to come up with a main event for UFC 103 for months now. This really is a much better main event than the alternatives

T-K-O, the UFC don't generally do around the same buyrate for all their shows. They've varied from 300,000 up to over a million in the last year

Saying that they've increased at a steady pace from the beginning is totally wrong. They were doing much higher buyrates at the start than they were in the late '90s and early 2000s, and the big increases always came when there were two fighters who people really wanted to see fight at the top of the card

Just for a quick example, PPVs that Tim Sylvia and Anderson Silva headlined are always at the lower end of the range. PPVs with Chuck Liddell are always at the upper end. It's that consistent that there's a clear correlation

Fair enough. Leads on to another argument that perhaps they have 'too many' events. ;) I guess it's a balance of keeping fans interested so they will buy the PPVs and having as many PPVs as possible!

The last time I saw a list of the numbers (other forum) they were more or less the same - have you an up to date list ??

Chuck is the exception when it comes to ppv buys - that is why the UFC love the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Nobody needs to be reminded the UFC is a business aiming to make profits, it's not such a great insight.

This is certainly not a cracking main event. Hendo and Wandy at 195 would be heaps better.

Kazooie wrote: »
    Fair enough. Leads on to another argument that perhaps they have 'too many' events. ;) I guess it's a balance of keeping fans interested so they will buy the PPVs and having as many PPVs as possible!

They absolutely do run too many events for the size of their roster. They get stuck for a main event a lot of the time. A recent example was the show with Rampage vs Jardine. Rampage didn't want to fight so soon after his last fight and Jardine isn't the sort of guy who people will pay to see in the main event, but that's the best main event that they could put on

I'll have a look for the PPV numbers in a minute

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    What happened to Tito Vs Who Ever as the main event for 103? :(

Heard rumour it was gonna be tito V Franklin :eek:

no idea how truthful that was, getting sick of listening to Tito's claims to be signing for whichever organisation takes his fancy on that particular day.

Tito V Rich, now that is a main event I want to see. The two poster boys going at it.

I think the UFC really need to thread carefully. UFC cards have always been stacked and that is a huge attraction for the fans.

We don't want to end up in similar situation to boxing, with one decent fight per card.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Kazooie wrote: »
    Fair enough. Leads on to another argument that perhaps they have 'too many' events. ;)

Or that they shouldnt do triple main events as they are running into the same problems as the did after the December PPV.

Advertisement