Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will motorcyclists get stopped using the new bus priority on College Green?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rob_l wrote: »
    Im sorry you must have this thread confused with another thread about cycling.

Also I dont see how I can take advice on proper road usage from a person who advocates breaking road traffic laws because it is a bit rainy!
    At least if I hit a third party irrespective of whose in the wrong I show remorse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

At least if I hit a third party irrespective of whose in the wrong I show remorse.

Is this all you have?

That thread was in the heat of the moment, have you read my posts since in this thread I replied to quint!
    I have never defended my actions in this thread nor do I feel the need to do so now, they are not for discussion here.

Also I dont think this has anything to do with the discussion at hand you are now just annoyed that i called you up on illegal driving practises and are determined to belittle me at any cost in retribution.

Bravo sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I never brought that into the discussion, you did! So your new found innocence on why this is being discussed is most amazing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61255168&postcount=29

So when you tell me what it has to do with the discussion I will give you, your own answer back!
    I used it to point out your selfish attitude towards road users, you didn't seem to care that you hurt a girl crossing the road purely because you thought you were in the right. You're the one who somehow thought the motorbikes in cycle lanes part of it was relevent to this debate with this:
    In fact that old thread also highlights the greater danger posed by motor cyclists using the cycle lane, suppossing i had been a motorcyclist and hit that same woman what would her potential chances for serious injury have been then, increased or decreased?
    please re-read this thread I have never offered any stats claiming it was more dangerous, I have simply bemoaned motorcylcists attitude of thats not the way it should be so i'll ignore that law.
    So all reports point to it being much safer to everyone, but you're still against it because you don't like their attitude?:rolleyes:

I have never claimed i have an over riding problem i think there is some rules than would have to be clarified to protect cyclists, my main issue has been my point above.
    Oh yeah, their "attitude"? I still don't know what this is.
    Well most pedestrian lights actually double as cycle pedestrian crossings, I believe. AS a result of the thread you brought into this discussion that very incident forced me to review the way I cycle around the city and to take stock of my attitude and general approach as a result I am a lot camler and in less of rush in such areas.

I also dont change my attitude becuase its raining I anticipate the rain and wear suitable clothes.

What has rain and clothes got to do with anything? Also, you have to stop at red lights, no idea what cycle pedestrian crossings have to do with it, do you think you can break them? I do (cycling), but I'm not the one that thinks every rule of road should be stuck to no matter how idiotic. Fair play to constantly reviewing your ways, you learn new stuff with every journey. Sometimes through mistakes, sometimes through mistakes of others, hopefully they're inexpensive lessons.

Anyway, final word on this cos I'm bored of it:
    I'll continue driving in the bus lanes, giving a friendly wave to the guards as they allow me, making the roads in Dublin a safer place to be. I don't break the speed limits in the city at all, and always give cyclists a wide berth.
    And, I'll constantly be looking out for cars making dodgy manouvers, because for us and cyclists thats the real danger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The only way to settle the cyclist vs motorcyclist row is with a race. We'll all meet on College Green at 9am on Monday! :D

Motorcycle filtering is not always illegal. There was a court case a few years ago, where a biker and a car were involved in a collission. A motorist changed road position and smacked a biker who was filtering. The motorist didnt look before moving. However he was adamant that the biker was in the wrong and insisted to his insurers that it is taken to court as the biker should have been queuing in traffic like everyone else. The judge ruled in favour of the biker and was quoted on saying that the biker hardly bought a bike to queue in traffic like everyone else.

Anyway I digress.

Seriously though. Im surprised that bikers cant use the bus corridor. Im sure it will also effect couriers etc too making deliveries.

Ive always had an issue with this bus corridor. its fitting square pegs in round holes. Im a biker and a motorist and at one stage of my life was an avid cyclists so i have gears to grinds. In 2009 which such a massive spread of population in Dublin, I cant understand why so many buses have terminus in the city centre and so close to one another. I also cant understand why they all have to take the same route around college green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

faceman wrote: »
    Seriously though. Im surprised that bikers cant use the bus corridor. Im sure it will also effect couriers etc too making deliveries.

I'm surprised at it too - if their stated aim is to reduce congestion for bus services, prohibiting motorbikes makes no sense. Perhaps they're designating College Green (the street) as a bus lane and since bus lanes prohibit motorbikes by default, it could be a legal problem which the council can't easily overcome.
    I cant understand why so many buses have terminus in the city centre and so close to one another. I also cant understand why they all have to take the same route around college green.

DB aren't happy with the situation either. There are a number of reasons for it. One is the congestion in the city centre which means cross city buses (which pass through the city centre) are terribly unreliable. Far side terminating buses (like the 13/A) relieve the city centre of terminii but the bus service is still affected by congestion in the city centre. (There's also the problem that people living at those terminii like Mountjoy aren't happy with their slice of suburbia being assaulted by double deckers.) The third option - near side terminus - isn't very popular because it doesn't bring people into the city centre and forces them to change buses to continue across the city.

The other problem is that DB have little or no control over the location of bus terminii. The council decide them and have, over the years, removed several of them (Abbey St, the quays, etc) forcing DB to concentrate more buses on a smaller number of streets. They could use easily Summerhill and Ringsend to avoid this but I don't know why they haven't.

Quint wrote: »
    I used it to point out your selfish attitude towards road users, you didn't seem to care that you hurt a girl crossing the road purely because you thought you were in the right. You're the one who somehow thought the motorbikes in cycle lanes part of it was relevent to this debate with this:

I had to ponder why that thread would be brought up when it has no reason for inclusion in this discussion and seeing as this thread had already veered into M bikes using bus and or cycle lanes i thought it relevant seeing as it my had already been brought to the discussion by you.
    So all reports point to it being much safer to everyone, but you're still against it because you don't like their attitude?:rolleyes:

The attitude i referred to was the one in this thread of M bike riders doing something regardless of its legal status not wheter they should be allowed use bus lanes, I have already supported the only user's view who had a reasoned method modeled on the Amsterdam system i have never said I am completly against it.
    Oh yeah, their "attitude"? I still don't know what this is.

See post 18 this is the attitude of doing something irrelvant of its legality
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61253719&postcount=18
    What has rain and clothes got to do with anything?
    That comment directly refers to post 21 see the link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61254354&postcount=21

Also, you have to stop at red lights, no idea what cycle pedestrian crossings have to do with it, do you think you can break them? I do (cycling), but I'm not the one that thinks every rule of road should be stuck to no matter how idiotic. Fair play to constantly reviewing your ways, you learn new stuff with every journey. Sometimes through mistakes, sometimes through mistakes of others, hopefully they're inexpensive lessons.

Anyway, final word on this cos I'm bored of it:
    I'll continue driving in the bus lanes, giving a friendly wave to the guards as they allow me, making the roads in Dublin a safer place to be. I don't break the speed limits in the city at all, and always give cyclists a wide berth.
    And, I'll constantly be looking out for cars making dodgy manouvers, because for us and cyclists thats the real danger.

On the dangers being cars I will agree, I have no major issue with a proposal to opening bus lanes to M bikes but that would have to be something done with cyclists in mind, much as had been suggested in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61257583&postcount=45 and which I have already referenced.

Can't help it:D
    I had to ponder why that thread would be brought up when it has no reason for inclusion in this discussion and seeing as this thread had already veered into M bikes using bus and or cycle lanes i thought it relevant seeing as it my had already been brought to the discussion by you.
    I answered this 2 or 3 times now.
    The attitude i referred to was the one in this thread of M bike riders doing something regardless of its legal status not wheter they should be allowed use bus lanes, I have already supported the only user's view who had a reasoned method modeled on the Amsterdam system i have never said I am completly against it.
    Still of the opinion of Legal=right, regardless of what various reports or guards say and peoples safety? You never said if you stop at those red pedestrian lights on your bicycle.

See post 18 this is the attitude of doing something irrelvant of its legality
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61253719&postcount=18
    Same as above, Still of the opinion of Legal=right, regardless of what various reports or guards say and peoples safety? You never said if you stop at those red pedestrian lights on your bicycle.
    God help your daughter on her 17th birthday. I assume you would never hit someone robbing from a granny on the street because it's illegal to hit them. And you were perfectly happy for that serial rapist to be let out of jail a while ago because he served his time in compliance to the law. After all, the law is always right!
    That comment directly refers to post 21 see the link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61254354&postcount=21
    That wasn't me.

On the dangers being cars I will agree, I have no major issue with a proposal to opening bus lanes to M bikes but that would have to be something done with cyclists in mind, much as had been suggested in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61257583&postcount=45 and which I have already referenced.
    Will segerated bus lanes make a difference? Personally, i like the way it is, guards waving us on in the bus lanes and no one cares except the dublin cycling campaign, who the guards ignore on this matter.

Same as above, Still of the opinion of Legal=right, regardless of what various reports or guards say and peoples safety? You never said if you stop at those red pedestrian lights on your bicycle.
    God help your daughter on her 17th birthday. I assume you would never hit someone robbing from a granny on the street because it's illegal to hit them. And you were perfectly happy for that serial rapist to be let out of jail a while ago because he served his time in compliance to the law. After all, the law is always right!

These are not valid comparissions, but firstly so you know if I see someone hiting or attacking someone else I think I am allowed to use reasonable force to deter them from their illegal activity.

However these are not really justified nor worth me responding to each one individually and if this is your reasoned argument or even similiar in any way to a case you might present to the DCC then i see no reason why they would listen to any proposal you or any other motor biker\s may have. In fact this is insulting in the highest to debase an argument by attempting to in some way insinuate that i am promoting rape, or attacks on the elderly.

I have never once condoned attacks on the old, nor rape, i have never promoted any kind of illegal behaviour in fact i have been promoting adherence to the Laws of the land which are created for our safety and general well being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

who the guards ignore on this matter.

the Guards largely ignore any campaign for actual law enforcement.

This should be a bus and cycle lane, individual motor transport, whether motorbike or taxi should not be allowed.

• Advertisement

The only way to settle the cyclist vs motorcyclist row is with a race. We'll all meet on College Green at 9am on Monday! :D

If it's a moped or a scooter I'm game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The distance between the outer edge of the marked cycle lane and inner thick white line of the bus lane.
    So the motorcyclist will use up the same space as a car?
    Motorcyclists are forced to cross the white line to take evasive action when cyclists suddenly pull out in front of them bctween cars when they want to turn right.
    And that's the only time motorcyclists cross ever the continuous white centre line and ride on the wrong side of the road...right?

I think that DCC is concerned that if motorcyclists are allowed into the cordon, they'll then feel 'forced' for some imagined safety reasons to drive like the clappers, to break the speed limit and run amber signals scattering pedestrians in their path.

The risk from errant cyclists on their slower, lighter bikes, is somewhat less.

So the motorcyclist will use up the same space as a car? .
    A motorcyclist requires extra space to allow for reckless cyclists that indiscriminately weave in and out of traffic whether its in a bus lane or filtering through traffic,

I don't know how many times I have seen cyclists illegally cycling on the outside and in between lanes of traffic when they refuse to use cycle lanes.
    And that's the only time motorcyclists cross ever the continuous white center line and ride on the wrong side of the road...right? .
    Again they may have to do this in evasive action if some motorist opens a door on the left hand side in traffic and it happens. Any motorcycle who deliberately crosses any white line commits an offense and deserves to be prosecuted if caught and I do not have an issue with that.
    I think that DCC is concerned that if motorcyclists are allowed into the cordon, they'll then feel 'forced' for some imagined safety reasons to drive like the clappers, to break the speed limit and run amber signals scattering pedestrians in their path..
    Has there been any reports of reckless behavior by motorcyclists on O'Connell St? I think not. Motorcyclists have registration plates, cyclists dont and think they can get away with it.

If anything its the cyclists that are causing the most trouble, many have total disregard for the rules of the road, many dont carry appropriate lighting they break traffic lights, they do not stop at stop signs and some don't even know how to put their arm out to indicate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cyclists and motorcyclists both do things which are illegally but wildly thought to be safer. Cyclists don't use cycle lanes as they are often dangerous even where they are mandatory*, while motorcyclists use bus lanes when they are not allowed to do so. Both are wildly ignored by the Gardai -- and it does not matter because both present no real danger and should be a low priority anyway. Both also have backing -- the motorcyclists by the Transport for London reports, and cyclists have the backing with the Minister's promise to remove the mandatory use law.

Now -- can somebody tell me what exactly is the point of this argument?

(* not all apparent cycle lanes are mandatory, many lanes and tracks which look like cycle lanes are not marked with the legal signs and symbols, thus such are not cycle lanes and not mandatory)

monument wrote: »
    run-to-da-hills wants reasons why motorcyclists are excluded from the College Green cordon.

He argues that any law-breaking by motorcyclists is entirely the fault of pedal cyclists & that, for this reason, it's unfair to exclude them from the cordon.

run-to-da-hills wants reasons why motorcyclists are excluded from the College Green cordon.

He argues that any law-breaking by motorcyclists is entirely the fault of pedal cyclists & that, for this reason, it's unfair to exclude them from the cordon.

The law breaking cyclists are the ones that complain most about motorcyclists sharing bus priority routes because they do not know how to adhere to the the left side of the road where they belong because of this they are in constant fear of being hit.

• Advertisement

Cyclists and motorcyclists both do things which are illegally but wildly thought to be safer. Cyclists don't use cycle lanes as they are often dangerous even where they are mandatory*, while motorcyclists use bus lanes when they are not allowed to do so. Both are wildly ignored by the Gardai -- and it does not matter because both present no real danger and should be a low priority anyway. Both also have backing -- the motorcyclists by the Transport for London reports, and cyclists have the backing with the Minister's promise to remove the mandatory use law.

(* not all apparent cycle lanes are mandatory, many lanes and tracks which look like cycle lanes are not marked with the legal signs and symbols, thus such are not cycle lanes and not mandatory)
    Yes, it's a pointless argument. Basically motorcycles aren't allowed use bus lanes anyway, so there's nothing new here.

These are not valid comparissions, but firstly so you know if I see someone hiting or attacking someone else I think I am allowed to use reasonable force to deter them from their illegal activity.

However these are not really justified nor worth me responding to each one individually and if this is your reasoned argument or even similiar in any way to a case you might present to the DCC then i see no reason why they would listen to any proposal you or any other motor biker\s may have. In fact this is insulting in the highest to debase an argument by attempting to in some way insinuate that i am promoting rape, or attacks on the elderly.

I have never once condoned attacks on the old, nor rape, i have never promoted any kind of illegal behaviour in fact i have been promoting adherence to the Laws of the land which are created for our safety and general well being.
    Think you're going a little off topic there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The law breaking cyclists are the ones that complain most about motorcyclists sharing bus priority routes because they do not know how to adhere to the the left side of the road where they belong because of this they are in constant fear of being hit.

Hmm...

Hugging the edge of the road -- as you seem to be suggesting -- is not advisable, it is safer to keep a bit away from the side of the road. It's standard safe cycling advice in the UK national training standards (as outlined in Cyclecraft). We don't have such general training, but the garda cycling course apparently also advocates keeping way from the side of the road.

Hmm...

Hugging the edge of the road -- as you seem to be suggesting -- is not advisable, it is safer to keep a bit away from the side of the road. It's standard safe cycling advice in the UK national training standards (as outlined in Cyclecraft). We don't have such general training, but the garda cycling course apparently also advocates keeping way from the side of the road.
    I am talking of the area that is specifically marked out for cyclists. It is quite often you get cyclists riding two abreast with one guy on the outside of this designated area obstructing public transport and taxis

cycle-bus-lane-ecclesall-la-sheffield-tjp.jpg

I am talking of the area that is specifically marked out for cyclists. It is quite often you get cyclists riding two abreast with one guy on the outside of this designated area obstructing public transport and taxis
    And for this reason, you think motorcyclists should be allowed in the College Green cordon?

And for this reason, you think motorcyclists should be allowed in the College Green cordon?
    For the same reason they are allowed on O Connelly St and upper Pearse St.

Motorcycles and scooters are one of the most efficient and practical forms of alternate transport for commuting compared to driving cages. They take up very little space, use far less fuel quicker and more agile when looking for parking. Cycling is grand if you live not too far from the city ctr unless you are extremly fit and dont need to carry much.

There are certain parts of greater Dublin where it can take up to an hour and a half to get into the city center in rush hour while the same journey only takes less than 30 minutes on a scooter or motorcycle. Until such time DCC and the Government can sort out our the capitals public transport system they should not impair the roads for this or an form of transport.

Regards Safety, the Irish government has not done enough to make motorcycles a safe form of commenting, They rolled out cable barriers on our motorways leading in and around the capital. (Thank God these have been replaced with the recent widening on the M50) these are enough to decapitate or severely mame a motorcyclist in a collision.

By not letting them using Bus lanes also higher the risk with collisions.If they were to let motorcyclists use bus lanes there is certain legislation they could bring in to enhance safety that I would not object to such as strict speed restrictions, strict lane decipline, headlight useage and the compulsory wearing of florescent vests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not a motorcyclist, but I can't see any reason for banning them from college green:
    • do they cause congestion - no, the opposite if anything
    • are they allowed use other public transport only junctions (right-turn at bottom of Dawson, left turn at bottom of Georges etc) - yes afaik
    • are they a danger to cyclists - not really and besides, surely the buses and taxis are a much greater risk to cyclists and they will be sharing space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ardmacha wrote: »
    This should be a bus and cycle lane, individual motor transport, whether motorbike or taxi should not be allowed.

What about a disabled person needing to get to somewhere by taxi that isn't served by busses? Say to Bolton St DIT from Dame St.

loyatemu wrote: »
    are they a danger to cyclists
    Are they a danger to pedestrians?

Are they a danger to pedestrians?
    No more than an other type of the road way. You know your self from cycling the amount of times pedestrians will walk out in front of you. Motorcycles have the advantage over cyclists in that they make noise, a horn is louder than a bell, and the ability to stop quicker if they are travelling at the same speed.

I hit a pedestrian a number of years ago on collage green, he walked straight out in front of me without looking, he wrote off the front wheel on my fixed wheel push bike and landed me over the bars, fortunately no one was hurt and he took cash out of his pocket there and then to cover for the damage.

I learned from the above incident and fitted a compressed air fog horn to the bike. Pedestrians are a threat to all road users particularly motorcyclists and cyclists and we should be working together to loby the authorities to enforce the law to prosecute j walkers and those that don't obey pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

and the ability to stop quicker if they are travelling at the same speed.
    I pointed out that this was wrong already.
    I learned from the above incident and fitted a compressed air fog horn to the bike. Pedestrians are a threat to all road users particularly motorcyclists and cyclists and we should be working together to loby the authorities to enforce the law to prosecute j walkers and those that don't obey pedestrian crossings.
    Agreed completely.

I think "bus lane users" including motorcyclists and taxi's, should form a united front on such matters, as like you say, there is a common safety goal.

Yes, I am very familiar with wandering pedestrians and had to brake dramaticaly to avoid one today. But, I don't use an air horn. I know where they wander and I travel more slowly and more cautiously through those areas so that I can take evasive action when needed.
    Motorcycles have the advantage over cyclists in that they ... and the ability to stop quicker if they are travelling at the same speed..
    But they don't do the same speed as cyclists, they go much much faster, and they're not as visible as a bus or taxi & they accelerate very quickly.

Perhaps that's why the city council decided to exclude them from the cordon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes, I am very familiar with wandering pedestrians and had to brake dramaticaly to avoid one today. But, I don't use an air horn. I know where they wander and I travel more slowly and more cautiously through those areas so that I can take evasive action when needed.

But they don't do the same speed as cyclists, they go much much faster, and they're not as visible as a bus or taxi & they accelerate very quickly.

No, it's because it's actually a bus lane. And motorcycles aren't allowed in bus lanes in Ireland.
    It was mentioned before that it's safer for motorcycles and the guards allow them to use them. I don't think this bus lane will be any different

Yes, I am very familiar with wandering pedestrians and had to brake dramatically to avoid one today. But, I don't use an air horn. I know where they wander and I travel more slowly and more cautiously through those areas so that I can take evasive action when needed.
    You always have to be prepared for the uninspected. In my day of cycling into Kevin St Collage from Dunlaoghaire every day there was no such thing as Walkmans or mobile phones. Now days everyone has them, a bell on a pushbike is useless, this is why I would reccommend a loud compressed air horn. If someone is looking into space listening to some rave or tash metal at over 90db and is just about to step out in front of you what good is the tinkle of a bell?
    Thats a general statement, there are some scooters and mopeds restricted to go no more faster than 30mph. Any vehicle whether its a taxi, bus, cyclist or motorcyclist that speeds through a bus lane deserves to be stopped and prosecuted and I would have no problem with that.

Most motorcyclists keep their headlights on during the day others like myself also wear a high viz vest. I do this for my own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulysoprano

Do any of yas think motorcyclists will be done for using this new system, i m a motorbike courier and use this a lot, Who ever put this rule in that motorbikes cant use the college green system hasnt a F*ucking clue, Is there anything we can do to voice our anger :mad:

Do any of yas think motorcyclists will be done for using this new system, i m a motorbike courier and use this a lot, Who ever put this rule in that motorbikes cant use the college green system hasnt a F*ucking clue, Is there anything we can do to voice our anger :mad:

Just use it the same as any other bus lane.

• Advertisement

Just use it the same as any other bus lane.

Aye, but i heard they are installing cctv, to catch ppl, and sending them summons in the post, this will cause nothing but hassle for motorbike couriers who have to deliver around this area, some couriers are only earning 60 euro a day and thats what the fine is for using it, it doesnt make any sense to stop motorbikes

Aye, but i heard they are installing cctv, to catch ppl, and sending them summons in the post, this will cause nothing but hassle for motorbike couriers who have to deliver around this area, some couriers are only earning 60 euro a day and thats what the fine is for using it, it doesn't make any sense to stop motorbikes
    No fear of couriers, the clever ones have "custom plates" or a tax disk on the rear that conveniently covers over a few digits. :)

Aye, but i heard they are installing cctv, to catch ppl, and sending them summons in the post, this will cause nothing but hassle for motorbike couriers who have to deliver around this area, some couriers are only earning 60 euro a day and thats what the fine is for using it, it doesnt make any sense to stop motorbikes

if they install cctv for that they'll need to put up proper warning signs and the cameras will be obvious, like speed cameras. don't worry about it and use the bus lanes! in in doubt, make sure your tax disc is in a "good location":D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

I saw the Garda were stopping all motorcyclists from the college green busgate this morning...wonder how many more days they will be there..?
    Also saw a garda stop a pedal cyclist who went through red lights by Trinity and gave hime some ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

mobpd wrote: »
    I saw the Garda were stopping all motorcyclists from the college green busgate this morning...wonder how many more days they will be there..?

I think the press release said they would be there for the first two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Camroc5

I was stopped this morning by the Garda. He was saying its the DCC decision.

I have been driving pass that way for over 6 years now, and when I asked the copper "How am I to get to Georges street", the best he could say was leading me down the quays and a 'No Left Turn' onto Parliment street and then a left onto Dame street, but then he relized its a 'No Right Turn' to Georges street. I had to go as far as Christchurch.

Stupid F**King desicion to not allow Motorbikes. With the parking now gone at the GPO, the DCC must hate bikes.

I will see what happens at 6pm today on my way home. Tomorrow I will come past Pearse Street Garda station and keep left all the way , and see what happens.

Camroc5 wrote: »
    I
    Stupid F**King decision to not allow Motorbikes. With the parking now gone at the GPO, the DCC must hate bikes.

The Government doesn't give a damn about motorcycle safety in this country. They have the say over the DCC or NRA when it comes to finalizing rules and regulations. Between roll out out lethal cable barriers along primary routes in recent years, the VAT on motorcycle helmets and banning of motorcycles from corridors lanes. When it comes to the next general election Ill remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

The Government doesn't give a damn about motorcycle safety in this country. .
    Neither do motorcyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Neither do motorcyclists.

Nice way to label a whole bunch of road users.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Nice way to label a whole bunch of road users.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It's as accurate as the remark that preceded it.

Camroc5 wrote: »
    "How am I to get to Georges street", the best he could say was leading me down the quays and a 'No Left Turn' onto Parliment street and then a left onto Dame street, but then he relized its a 'No Right Turn' to Georges street. I had to go as far as Christchurch.

Stupid F**King desicion to not allow Motorbikes. With the parking now gone at the GPO, the DCC must hate bikes.

I was on aungier st at 5.15 got a call to pick up on o connell going up to Heuston St a mini while i was sitting about, so went down Georges St The sign was still up saying buses, taxi, motorcyclist etc ... allowed turn right on to Dame St i said grand turned went down dame got as far as the lights at bank of ireland, Garda just pointed telling me to turn back, i had to go back up Dame St, through Temple Bar, onto the quays up and over the bridge at Arran quay back up the quays towards O connell st :eek:, in rush hr crazy

That remark is very accurate.

You cannot deny the extensive use of cable barriers in this country or the forcing of motorcyclists into filtering up through dangerously narrow stretches of road since the introduction of bus lanes.

Your remark is a sweeping statement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To be fair, the government does very little to show their concern for motorcycle safety:

* No mandatory training for provisional bikers
    * Competency to pass motorcycle test is minimal
    * Only requirement for legal motorcycle safety in terms of rider protection is a helmet. However VAT is charged on helmets in the luxury goods category.
    * Safety wire barriers being rolled out around the country are affectionately known as cheese cutters, despite efforts by MAG Ireland to highlight the dangers to the government. Other countries in the EU have removed the same barrier because of the dangers to motorcyclists.
    * Bikers represent 10% of all fatalities on the road yet represent only 2% of private motor transport users.

Does that sound like a government who is focussed on motorcycle safety in Ireland?

You cannot deny the extensive use of cable barriers in this country or the forcing of motorcyclists into filtering up through dangerously narrow stretches of road since the introduction of bus lanes.
    Nor can you deny speeding, over-the white line antics, speeding, weaving, dangerous riding and illegal overtaking by motorcyclists. None of these are the fault of the government 'not caring'.
    Your remark is a sweeping statement.
    So is yours.

Nor can you deny speeding, over-the white line antics, speeding, weaving, dangerous riding and illegal overtaking by motorcyclists. None of these are the fault of the government 'not caring'.
    Not all of us ride like lunatics, there are bikers of all ages some on low powered scooters, mopeds and commuter bikes that use them as a convenient form of transport. :rolleyes:

There is nothing illegal about filtering up through traffic, provided the motorcyclist obied by the rules of the road. At the advanced riders course we were told how to filter through traffic correctly. Filtering through traffic is far more dangerous to the rider , pedestrians and other road users than using the bus lanes because they are less visible between traffic.

One other point worth mentioning is that road markings between lanes can be lethal when wet and a motorcycle tyre can be the same width or less than the marking.

The reason motorcyclists "weave in and out" of traffic is because inconsiderate motorists do not give them enough breathing space between cars.
    So is yours.
    My points are already clearly explained by several other posters if you cared to read them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Is there any class of road user, including cyclists, that can deny the above rule breakers? Saying its unique to bikers is naive. Yet the focus is on motorcar safety and cyclist safety. Cyclists can now even get tax relief on safey equipment.

Again, I remind you of the statistic.

10% of road fatalities are bikers yet bikers only represent 2% of road users.

Incidentally 70% of road accidents involving bikers are due to the fault of other road users. MAG Ireland can provide more details on this statistic.

Under legislation, motorbikes are not allowed to travel along bus lanes. Dublin City Council has no control over this, which is the responsibility of the Department of Transport.

The new College Green Bus Corridor – which came into operation today Monday 27th July– will essentially make College Green a bus lane in both directions between the hours of 7am and 10am and 4pm and 7pm, Monday to Friday. The normal bus lane regulations will therefore apply, meaning that only buses, taxis and pedal cyclists will be allowed to travel along the bus lane and through College Green at these times.

Regards,

Catherine

( Dublin City Council has no control over this, which is the responsibility of the Department of Transport. ) I think there passing the book here, f**king joke lads

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Under legislation, motorbikes are not allowed to travel along bus lanes. Dublin City Council has no control over this, which is the responsibility of the Department of Transport.

The new College Green Bus Corridor – which came into operation today Monday 27th July– will essentially make College Green a bus lane in both directions between the hours of 7am and 10am and 4pm and 7pm, Monday to Friday. The normal bus lane regulations will therefore apply, meaning that only buses, taxis and pedal cyclists will be allowed to travel along the bus lane and through College Green at these times.

Regards,

Catherine

( Dublin City Council has no control over this, which is the responsibility of the Department of Transport. ) I think there passing the book here, f**king joke lads

Perhaps Catherine would be kind enought to quote exactly which legislation it is that states this

I saw a motorcyclist get off his bike and walk it around College Green to then get back on after the short distance of the busgate had been cleared...

mobpd wrote: »
    Perhaps Catherine would be kind enought to quote exactly which legislation it is that states this

I saw a motorcyclist get off his bike and walk it around College Green to then get back on after the short distance of the busgate had been cleared...
    We need at least a 100 Bikers to do this at once during rush hour. You cannot be prosecuted for pushing your bike with the motor switched off, "Garda my bike won't start" :D

We need at least a 100 Bikers to do this at once during rush hour. You cannot be prosecuted for pushing your bike with the motor switched off, "Garda my bike won't start" :D

Aye id be up for that :D, just got this email from the Dept of Transport, i asked them why they banned motorbikes the response was:

The College Green priority lane would be a matter for Dublin City Council - customerservices@dublincity.ie
    Regards

Stephen Blake
    Department of Transport.

EH i thought DCC Said it was a matter for the Dept of Transport :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement