Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy spongy foam (like the stuff used in cushions etc)?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! I hope some of yiz can help.

I need to buy this stuff in fairly large quantities. You know it, its the yellow spongy foamy stuff you see in seat cushions and car seats etc. I want to sound-proof a room and acoustic tiles are a complete rip off and totally not worth it.

Also, can anyone recomend a one-stop shop for a sturdy shovel, a bag of builder's lime, a white van, some cable ties and an economy bag of Wurther's Original?

Only joking, but seriously I do need to soundproof this room.

Help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I need to buy this stuff in fairly large quantities. You know it, its the yellow spongy foamy stuff you see in seat cushions and car seats etc. I want to sound-proof a room and acoustic tiles are a complete rip off and totally not worth it.

I would say initially to try a fabric shop as they should have it, but you would probably be best to locate a furniture maker and buy from them as it will probably be cheaper there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I agree with doubtfir3, in my local town there is one shop that my mother would go to and sure enough there is even a nearby upholister. So you should have a good chance of finding it in your local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

There is a shop on Capel Street that sells all kinds of foam. If you have the river at your back, it is on the left hand side, half way down. It mightn't be as cheap as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there used to be a shop on bolton street besides the kings inn that did all that stuff too.

a friend of mine built a recording studio. he constructed a wall with double sheets of plasterboard. really did do the trick.

but i dont know what you need the wall for or what the price comparision between the foam and plasterboard is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I work in a company that makes walk-in fridges so what i am going to do is get some insulation panels and glue carpet to one side of them, then erect the 'fridge' in a room in the house, as my studio.

The insulation panels should prevent noise getting out (such as drums etc) and annoying the neighbours, but what I want the spongy foam for, is to absorb the echo internally, so that things I record in there sound fairly OK.

The furniture maker is a good suggestion. I would say the fabric shop would be a bit pricey, I'd say. I know where Capel street is but I am not in Dublin very often, somewhere closer to Kilkenny would be nice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your going to think that i am taking the p1ss but

1, Kingspan do soundproofing as you know

2. Paper eggcartons make for great soundproofing and very cheap! lined with carpet. I use to use it and I am a musician

Ha egggs cheep Cheep.... Jesus i am funny:D

you must not be a good musician as that joke was far from music to my ears!!!

Hardy har har

+1 on the egg cartons and carpet.

carpet in fact is unbelievably good

Advertisement