Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Contractor?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I got a phonecall from a company that were working in my estate pumping in beaded insulation into cavities walls. Houses are all over 20 years old with minimum insulation in the cavities so I agree with it in principle. I've read all the arguments for and against filling up cavities and the advantages and disadvantages of beaded insulation so I don't want to get into that.

The sales guy's main pitch was that they could pump in the insulation for €1300 but I could claim back €650 from the SEI as part of Home Energy Saving Scheme. However when I look at the SEI website, it says that the grant is only €400 for cavity wall insulation and plus you won't get any grant unless your claim is over €500. Anyone any experience of this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Enaghan01 wrote: »
    I got a phonecall from a company that were working in my estate pumping in beaded insulation into cavities walls. Houses are all over 20 years old with minimum insulation in the cavities so I agree with it in principle. I've read all the arguments for and against filling up cavities and the advantages and disadvantages of beaded insulation so I don't want to get into that.

The sales guy's main pitch was that they could pump in the insulation for €1300 but I could claim back €650 from the SEI as part of Home Energy Saving Scheme. However when I look at the SEI website, it says that the grant is only €400 for cavity wall insulation and plus you won't get any grant unless your claim is over €500. Anyone any experience of this?

You are exactly right. You will not get a penny back of the 1300 as you have not qualified. BUT some contractors are pulling ridicules stunts by pumping in loose beads/loose fiber into the attic are of the house. If the contractor is genuine then ask your neighbours what they got done and did they get there money from SEI

Also ask him what exactly he is doing other than pumping the cavity walls and if he says (which I guess he will) is that he is pumping the attic.. Stop him at once. The only insulation to be put up there is fiberglass (rock wool) or dense board (Kingspan)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the attic is being insulated together with the walls then you will be able to avail of the grant. However the contractor has to be on the approved list which you can view or download on the SEI website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

To add to mufflers post. See www.sei.ie/hes
    You can hear it from the horses mouth and see is he registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Enaghan01

He's registered alright, even gave me his number to fill in on the SEI website. He's now saying that he will do a complete job on the attic and walls for 1400 and that will get me the grant. House is a dormer with feck all insulation in the attic either, if he wants to put 300mm insulation in around there for an extra €100, that would be great. I'm suspicious still but going to get him to look at it and see what he says. I'll let ye know

Enaghan01 wrote: »
    He's registered alright, even gave me his number to fill in on the SEI website. He's now saying that he will do a complete job on the attic and walls for 1400 and that will get me the grant. House is a dormer with feck all insulation in the attic either, if he wants to put 300mm insulation in around there for an extra €100, that would be great. I'm suspicious still but going to get him to look at it and see what he says. I'll let ye know
    If he does a good job then you will get a grant of €650.

The trick is that you do not pay him until you are satisfied that the work has been carried out properly. Im sure you will find someone who will bore a couple of little holes here and there to check that the cavity has been completely filled and you could check the attic yourself. But do ask around and knock on door where the guy has done work previously.

On top of that the SEI appear to be carrying out quite a lot of checks also. If he isnt up to scratch then he gets removed from their register.

I had this work done myself a few weeks ago and I just got a letter yesterday advising me of an upcoming inspection by a SEI appointed inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 EyeOnTheBall

Smcgie wrote: »
    You are exactly right. You will not get a penny back of the 1300 as you have not qualified. BUT some contractors are pulling ridicules stunts by pumping in loose beads/loose fiber into the attic are of the house. If the contractor is genuine then ask your neighbours what they got done and did they get there money from SEI

Also ask him what exactly he is doing other than pumping the cavity walls and if he says (which I guess he will) is that he is pumping the attic.. Stop him at once. The only insulation to be put up there is fiberglass (rock wool) or dense board (Kingspan)

Hi

I completely agree. There are so many cowboys out there. The best way to find the right tradesman is to get references from previous clients, I wouldn't trust a contactor who so obviously does not know the SEI home grant energy scheme regulations. Are they actually SEI contractors? You should check on the SEI website. If you detect foul play - report them to the SEI to get them removed for bad practice.

P.s Rockwool and Kingspan are fine, but there are some other good insulations out there too. Sheeps wool, celulose and Spray Foam are all green choices which can achieve the regulation U-values.

Thanks
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My parent's house is over 30 years old and despite it being a small mid terrace house, it costs a fortune to heat it and it gets cold as soon as the heating goes off. The walls are cavity block and there's nothing in the way of insulation in the attic. Now I was going to put insulation in the attic for them myself but then this new grant scheme was announced and they are interested in getting the walls done too. I'm very dubious of this cavity bead insulation as surely it will conduct water through to the inner walls? There's also no guarantee that the entire cavity would be filled due to a blockage caused by mortar etc in the cavity.

However if the SEI are approving it for grant purposes, then I stand to be corrected.

The walls are cavity block
    Cavity block or cavity walls?

You cant use any form of pump in insulation if its cavity blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cavity block.

They were told that they could get the pump in bead insulation by a guy who called to their door but I had my doubts as I couldn't understand how the beaded insulation would work in cavity blocks due to their construction. Seems like I was right after all. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Advertisement