Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road frontage between Eire Og and GRFC

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Does anyone know why it has been fenced off. It has always been maintained by the Rugby club but I noticed while out walking that it has been fenced off. That usually means someone is laying a claim and since it was already within the rugby club grounds it can't be them. ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I remember hearing years ago that that piece of land was owned by the council, although the rugby club used it and maintained it.

I saw a roller out there a few days ago and wondered what might be going on, but I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The land belongs to the County Council afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is County Council land but a well known auctioneering firm is claiming the land now. Cute h00rs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I remember hearing years ago that that piece of land was owned by the council, although the rugby club used it and maintained it.

I saw a roller out there a few days ago and wondered what might be going on, but I have no idea.
    That was a scrum machine... Nothing like a good land dispute to get tongues wagging!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

So to re-cap, the Council own it, the auctioneering firm is claiming it and the rugby club are the ones who have been maintaining it for the last God knows how many years.

That's all cleared up than :):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

Just wanted to throw a spanner in the works, The council own it and are layijng claim to it, not the auctioneers but Eire Og do actually have a right of way over it (its where the entrance to the GAA club was before the tennis club moved to there)

The council must have a plan for it if they want the land. Why else would they reclaim land that needs to be maintained ? Hard enough to get them to maintain the areas they already have !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

The council own it and thats why it was fenced off. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and all that! Some auctioneer (:confused:) wants to build houses on it! Not sure what the councils plans are for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The Local Development Plan (4MB PDF file) has the area at the auctioneers zoned T2 (To provide for village centre uses), and then the adjoining Rugby club is zoned POS (To preserve and enhance private open space).

So, what could you build on a T2 zoned land? I'm thinking Commercial/Retail with Residential/Commercial over.

edit: just looking at this document on page 8. Several different uses available one of which is a public house!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

So Grfc, Eire Og , the Tennis club and the golf club are quite correctly zoned as private Open space but this small area is zoned 'village centre'.
    The council has fenced it off and an auctioneer is looking to acquire it.

Anyone else smell something fishy :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Huntthe wrote: »

Anyone else smell something fishy :eek:

Not really.

Wicklow CC have always maintained a fairly aggressive pro-enterprise ethos.
    This is basically that.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Not really.

Wicklow CC have always maintained a fairly aggressive pro-enterprise ethos.
    This is basically that.

In the middle of the green belt ?

There is an existing commercial unit there (the auctioneers), so it's difficult to force it to be anything else but zoned for that type of use. Look at Woodlands Lodge - it's similarly zoned (T1). One building all on its todd! Ridiculous planning by Wicklow Co Co if you ask me.

astrofluff wrote: »
    There is an existing commercial unit there (the auctioneers), so it's difficult to force it to be anything else but zoned for that type of use. Look at Woodlands Lodge - it's similarly zoned (T1). One building all on its todd! Ridiculous planning by Wicklow Co Co if you ask me.

I'm not sure if the one commercial property in an area that is defacto recreational (or whatever zone that would be called) justifies further commercial land use in an area that is dominated by the rugby club, the Gaa club, the tennis club the golf club and the swimming pool. If anything the auctioneers should be relocated to a commercial premises in Charlesland or Greystones.

The fact that they have fenced it off is a worrying development. Who knows what our planners are capable of granting permission for given the right incentives.

...given the right incentives.
    Don't you mean planning/fire cert application fee, development contribution and commercial rates?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

The fact that they have fenced it off is a worrying development. Who knows what our planners are capable of granting permission for given the right incentives.
    Im sorry but, I have pretty much never seen any of the public using this little patch of grass, so realistically, is it going to be much of a loss?

Sorry Jammy, that's a pretty weak argument there. Where would we be if any piece of green land not used regularly by the public was open to commercial development??!!!

In any case, I have seen both the rugby club and the gaa club train kids teams up there many times when the other pitches are in use before it was fenced off.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Don't you mean planning/fire cert application fee, development contribution and commercial rates?!

Yes, that kind of thing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Sorry Jammy, that's a pretty weak argument there. Where would we be if any piece of green land not used regularly by the public was open to commercial development??!!!

In any case, I have seen both the rugby club and the gaa club train kids teams up there many times when the other pitches are in use before it was fenced off.
    Im sorry, my post was posed more as a question rather than saying 'its no loss'. I do agree with ye on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The baseball club used to use it as well. Any small club without their own grounds could potentially use it in a pinch, not to mention casual games among kids, residents, neighbours.

To be honest, the auctioneers kind of stands out like a sore thumb where it is. Even before, when it was just a house. A nice little park, perhaps with a footpath providing a shortcut from Mill Road to Eire Og, would be good.

• Advertisement

To be honest, the auctioneers kind of stands out like a sore thumb where it is. Even before, when it was just a house. A nice little park, perhaps with a footpath providing a shortcut from Mill Road to Eire Og, would be good.

I agree , that would finish off the area nicely.A couple of benches, the trees there are semi mature already, add a few more and erect a sign post in the middle with Rugby club, Eire Og etc in the middle. It could become a nice meeting point for people coming and going from the various clubs . It's actually a deceptively lasge piece of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I read in the most recent Wicklow Times that a plot in or around that area has been given the green light by the Council to be used as a community garden.

Well there's a big sign up there now 'Prime Commercial site for Sale'
    The Rugby Club have a protest sign up. So much for preserving the area for the people. A lot of hard work has gone into developing that area by local people, all those dollars raised and all that donkey work and now they're selling it off for God knows what.

Well there's a big sign up there now 'Prime Commercial site for Sale'
    The Rugby Club have a protest sign up. So much for preserving the area for the people. A lot of hard work has gone into developing that area by local people, all those dollars raised and all that donkey work and now they're selling it off for God knows what.

There was also an ad in the Times last week for it. Its pretty ridiculous to build there. As far as I remember, the ad stated it was zoned for commercial and residential.

There was also an ad in the Times last week for it. Its pretty ridiculous to build there. As far as I remember, the ad stated it was zoned for commercial and residential.

I can't remember the full story but it's zoned that way from an old county developement plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This could have started the ball rolling to sell on the land.

The county councils are broke that's why they're selling all the small parcels around the county. The point is the development has to be appropriate and this is clearly, defacto, not a commercial area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Truck stop I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Truck stop I heard

For all the many trucks that use that road?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Trucks exactly.
    As a single parcel of land it is quiet worthless but possibly combined with adjacent land its value increases exponentially. I agree with GRFC that their should be no development their but as one person beofre me mentioned the councils are all cash strapped and will sell their grandmothers for cash!

Advertisement