Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ludicrously light sleeper

• 21-07-2009 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Being woken by anything at all, down to the vaguest hint of noise, is so frustrating. :(
    Anyone else in the same boat?
    I avoid caffeine, I exercise daily, I only smoke when I go out drinking... I don't want to wear earplugs on a night before work in case I sleep through the alarm (I know that's kinda ironic seeing as it takes so little to wake me anyway but it's still something I won't risk).

Any other tips?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

relish in the fact that when society crumbles and we're left to fend for ourselves in the wild your offspring will be among the first to wake up and escape the zombie hordes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Dudess wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Being woken by anything at all, down to the vaguest hint of noise, is so frustrating. :(
    I avoid caffeine, I exercise daily, I only smoke when I go out drinking... I don't want to wear earplugs on a night before work in case I sleep through the alarm (I know that's kinda ironic seeing as it takes so little to wake me anyway but it's still something I won't risk).

Any other tips?

Worth test running the ear plugs at the weekend maybe when it doesn't matter if you sleep in? Also does light affect you? I sleep with an eye mask, one of my best discoveries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

Hey guys,

Any other tips?

to much exercise will cause an increase in adrenaline,thus heightening your alertness, stress has a similar effect, or maybe you dont need much sleep, i sleep for four hours but i am also very stressed out, sorry no help to you here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Worth test running the ear plugs at the weekend maybe when it doesn't matter if you sleep in? Also does light affect you? I sleep with an eye mask, one of my best discoveries!

I agree, look into ear plugs. I was a really light sleeper and like you I didn't want to use ear plug. Eventually weeks after very little sleep I tried out earplugs.

I found that the soft foam ones blocked out the noise that woke me but I could still hear the alarm clock, doorbell, fire-alarm and knock on my bedroom door.

I also put my phone with the alarm on to back up my alarm clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

this may be a stupid idea but if you wear ipod headphones and set the alarm on your ipod it might work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

Hey guys,

Any other tips?

Hi Dudess

You have my full sympathy because i'm the same as you - the slightest thing will wake me up (that's when i can actually get to sleep!). Bedtime is a stressful time and I have tried everything from meditation to sleeping tablets (which are great but not a long-term solution.........obviously).

My advice is to:

1. Consider wearing earplugs - i could not sleep without them. They block out a lot of the stupid little sounds that wake you, such as birds at dawn, your partner snoring, a distant TV etc.

2. Making sure you're completely relaxed when you go to sleep has a major impact on how you sleep, or so i've been told, so i try to make my room as relaxing as possible with drops of lavender oil on my pillow and NO tv or laptops in the bedroom.

3. Have you ever tried those herbal sleep aids? They're quite good - they wont help you actually get to sleep but once you do, they'll help you remain sleeping and you wont wake up hearing your neighbour's clock ticking. The Bachs Rescue Remedy spray is good, as are Kalms Sleep tablets.

Good luck, and if you find any alternative remedies, please share!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Used to be a fairly heavy sleeper, now a very light sleeper, no idea why.
    You have my sympathies OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

i get this too but its because i work at night , circadian rythym is a bitch, sleeping during the day just isnt healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I work days mostly (some evening shifts) and it doesn't matter how tired I am - I just will not sleep deeply.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm trying that with the earplugs all right - they're ok. There's certainly plenty of noise they don't block out, but that makes me more confident about wearing them the night before work.
    sorry no help to you here
    Not true. :)
    Magaa wrote: »
    this may be a stupid idea but if you wear ipod headphones and set the alarm on your ipod it might work
    Not a bad idea at all - sometimes I find putting on music to drown out noise sends me off to sleep (ish)... :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. :)
    Mordeth (post #2): thanks... ish. :)

Advertisement