Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens if No Wins again?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Don't you guys think the EU might be more than just a bit annoyed at Ireland? I mean to the point where they might just say, alright, bail yourselves out. I mean Ireland prospered in part thanks to the EU membership and to turn their backs on it like this seems a bit hypocritical? :confused:

So what do you guys think the ramifications of a 2nd no would mean for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

tlev wrote: »
    Don't you guys think the EU might be more than just a bit annoyed at Ireland? I mean to the point where they might just say, alright, bail yourselves out. I mean Ireland prospered in part thanks to the EU membership and to turn their backs on it like this seems a bit hypocritical? :confused:

So what do you guys think the ramifications of a 2nd no would mean for Ireland?

Gradual collapse of the Irish economy.
    By which I mean an actual collapse. Not a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How exactly?

perception my dear man perception.
    If the rest of the EU proceed with mechanisms that we are left out of ,we will be considered the yellow pack member by potential investors.

Some hope then of creating 200,000 jobs to restore the ones that have been lost.They will go elsewhere.
    The EU won't be as Fláthulach with the transfers either like they were in the last 10 years so it will be a stand still infrastructure wise for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

The economy won't collapse simply on a no vote. Good fundamentals of low corp tax, euro zone, educated work force etc. should keep everything well afloat. It won't be great but still not a total disaster.

Still though, Ireland is a big boy now and shouldn't have to go cap in hand to Europe every time we hit a spot of bother. The E.U has been there for us helping us in many different areas and hopefully will always continue to be but Ireland as a nation needs to mature and start to take responsibility for its own actions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

actua11 wrote: »
    The economy won't collapse simply on a no vote. Good fundamentals of low corp tax, euro zone, educated work force etc. should keep everything well afloat. It won't be great but still not a total disaster.
    Well, is our work force really that educated? I think this is a bit of a myth.

Plus, many companies have used Ireland's position in the EU as logic for locating their European headquarters here. If we become part of a 2nd tier within Europe, that motivation may not be so strong.

Although the fact that we are English speakers does offer a lot of benefits.

On the whole, though we are an incredibly expensive place to do business - very uncompetitive wage, property and energy costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The word Ireland is tippexed off the Treaty and its re-ratified by each Parliament quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Some EU countries aren't part of the euro.
    Some (most) EU countries don't allow people from the newer countries freedom to work in their countries (yet).

Does that affect any of their standings in Europe much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Investor confidence would be given a large dent. People claim we have the Eurozone etc, but these would be put in doubt.

And then saying all this about tax, you do realize that tax is going up? There really is nothing to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd say us voting against the treaty would send a pretty bad signal to investors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The czech republic would maybe not ratify it and then the EU would have to start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The czech republic would maybe not ratify it and then the EU would have to start again.

Not quite. Try: The czech republic would maybe not ratify it and then we would have to start again.

d'Oracle wrote: »

what a load of fear mongering bs
    can you quantify this? no
    did that happen after the french or dutch no's? nope

what may happen after a 2nd no is that they will do what they did before and go about undermining democracy by trying to implement the treaty in another fashion. so much for them respecting the people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I won't be able to hold my head up in Germany again. I spend a good bit of time there and there are already rumblings of discontent that German monies have gone to build our roundabouts, while parts of the infrastructure in Germany is suffering from lack of funding for improvements and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

what a load of fear mongering bs
    can you quantify this? no
    did that happen after the french or dutch no's?

Our economy is built on FDI. The only reason it's still here is that the E.U. is seen as our guarantors. Take that away, even a move in that direction and billions of euro leave this country. That's not scaremongering it's fact. We don't have a domestic economy capable of keeping the country afloat, unlike other EU states.

prinz wrote: »
    I won't be able to hold my head up in Germany again. I spend a good bit of time there and there are already rumblings of discontent that German monies have gone to build our roundabouts, while parts of the infrastructure in Germany is suffering from lack of funding for improvements and maintenance.

I was in Germany for a week last week. Had a great time,talked politics lots and not one German expressed any discontent. In fact a few were quite happy that Lisbon has not been implemented.

Our economy is built on FDI. The only reason it's still here is that the E.U. is seen as our guarantors. Take that away, even a move in that direction and billions of euro leave this country. That's not scaremongering it's fact. We don't have a domestic economy capable of keeping the country afloat, unlike other EU states.

The only reason its still here....Are you deluded? 3 words: Low corporation tax!
    Seriously though this kind of silly scare mongering has got to stop, you are not doing the yes side any favours spouting that rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

In the immortal words of Tommy Tiernan, we keep going until we get it right in the eyes of the supreme overlords!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The same EU hand that is rocking the Irish economic cradle at the moment is also holding the pillow dangerously close to the child in the cot...

As long as the EU keep bailing us out without the necessary reforms, then they are just giving us more rope to hang ourselves with. The EU are now a fundamental part of our problem here, letting us borrow half a billion Euro a month from the ECB, just to keep the lights on in the country, and the government on an extended summer holiday and not a reform or a decision in sight?!?!?!?

If we didn't have the ECB handing us the shovel here that we are using to dig a deeper financial grave for ourselves, we just might HAVE to get our house in order. The ECB is going to turn this tap off eventually, (obviously not this side of Lisbon II), and we are going to have to face the music at some stage... No matter what way the ball bounces, EU or no EU, we are going to have to get our house in order, it would be quicker if we didn't have the ECB lending to us without firm and meaningful preconditions in relation to reform...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well, it also had a lot to do with Irish specific issues like tax breaks for developers and a lack of national banking regulation.

Practically the entire world was awash with cheap credit. If this were the only problem, everywhere would be as bad off as we are. But the reality is that a significant number of domestic policies have really shoved us over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

taconnol wrote: »
    Well, it also had a lot to do with Irish specific issues like tax breaks for developers and a lack of national banking regulation.

Practically the entire world was awash with cheap credit. If this were the only problem, everywhere would be as bad off as we are. But the reality is that a significant number of domestic policies have really shoved us over the edge.

Domestic policy more or less geared the entire economy towards the construction sector. If you look at the ads that grace any Fianna Fail publication, an explanation will spring inexorably to mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

perception my dear man perception.
    If the rest of the EU proceed with mechanisms that we are left out of ,we will be considered the yellow pack member by potential investors.

Some hope then of creating 200,000 jobs to restore the ones that have been lost.They will go elsewhere.
    The EU won't be as Fláthulach with the transfers either like they were in the last 10 years so it will be a stand still infrastructure wise for us.
    The legal position is that no EU treaty can come into force without unanimity. The political-position is that Cowen will probably have to go. There is already a multi-speed Europe with respect to the Euro, the Schengen agreement, and other areas such as Justice and Home Affairs (the UK and Ireland already have a Protocol allowing us since Amsterdam to optin-out on a case-by-case basis - a Protocol the Lisbon II legislation (Paragraph 7(iii) of the 28th Amendment to the Constitution Bill 2009) allow the govt and the Oireachtas to rescind.

The seeds of the Irish recovery are already starting to show green-shoots. For example, April figures show a rise in exports of 5%, while exports are collapsing in other member states like Germany and the UK. Economists such as the ESRI are already downgrading the peak of unemployment at 15% - down from 17-8% until recently. If we vote no, I believe we will be the toast of the European people - notably in France and Holland who voted no to the EU Constitution. The Euro elites in "Old Europe" will initially go ballistic but - with a British General Election likely to bring the Tories to power - will have to accept that Lisbon is dead. Pragmatism will then dictate that relations with the elites - as with Denmark voting no to the euro in 2000 - will eventually return to normal. The near doubling of Spanish unemployment since their yes vote to the EU Constitution in 2005 does not inspire confidence that a voting for Lisbon will bring an economic divident to help us to economic safe-harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

If 'no' wins we'll still have to get up in the morning, if 'yes ' wins I guess it'll be the same too, I doubt if very much would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The near doubling of Spanish unemployment since their yes vote to the EU Constitution in 2005 does not inspire confidence that a voting for Lisbon will bring an economic divident to help us to economic safe-harbour.

Still trying to sell that gone off porkie?

Riddle me this, what has happened to the Irish unemployment rate since we voted 'No' to Lisbon?

Still trying to sell that gone off porkie?

Riddle me this, what has happened to the Irish unemployment rate since we voted 'No' to Lisbon?
    It rose to 11.5% compared to 17% in Spain.

LOL, nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

So voting no had a detrimental effect to the Irish economy.

At least in your twisted arseways logic it has.

Can you at least admit that. If you are going to carry on touting that bull**** then you should tag that little nugget onto the end of it.

So both rose, so there is no provable correlation between a 'yes' or 'no' vote to Lisbon, or the Constitution and the unemployment rate.

So essentially you are continually peddling a logically flawed argument.

So both rose, so there is no provable correlation between a 'yes' or 'no' vote to Lisbon, or the Constitution and the unemployment rate.

The point I'm trying to make is this. I'm not saying that voting yes necessarily led to the collapse of the Spanish economy. But it didn't save it either. Despite the supposed importance of what the politicians call 'our reputation' in Europe, the supposed halo-effect didn't save the Spanish economy. That point has to be made in order to counter the propaganda from the govt and the yes side linking the economy to a yes vote.

I'm pretty sure what he is saying is that there is no effect on the Irish economy since the first No.
    Not a difficult concept to grasp really since all economies are in the pan irrespective of Yes or No. And btw the French and Dutch No's didnt make a difference to their economies either. But if you have evidence otherwise please share it.

• Advertisement

The point I'm trying to make is this. I'm not saying that voting yes necessarily led to the collapse of the Spanish economy. But it didn't save it either. That point has to be made in order to counter the propaganda from the govt and the yes side linking the economy to a yes vote.

Yes but the problem with your argument, is that it could still be postulated (incorrectly in my view, based on the referenda in France & Holland) that the unemployment rate in Spain would be worse if they had voted 'No'.

Your argument is inherently logically flawed, and doesn't actually falsify anything.

Advertisement