Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar gets a slap on the wrist

• 21-07-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Just saw this story and am dismayed with another judge's sentance is so leinient. This criminal should atleast spend a few weeks behind bars but yet he walks free after shattering so many people's sense of security. He is probobly laughing at our system for this. What sort of a message does this send? In his own country he would almost certainly recieve a swift and brutal punishment for his deeds.

http://www.clare.fm/news/three-year-sentence-ennis-jewellery-thief

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yup, you can bugger a child and get away with it,
    caught with a few grands worth of hash and get ten years, tis a great country if your a criminal
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

He should get ten years in the slammer,and then deport him back
    to where he came from.
    Way too many think ireland is easy pickings.....
    Although ,they may be right,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

BOBBY wrote: »
    yup, you can bugger a child and get away with it,
    caught with a few grands worth of hash and get ten years, tis a great country if your a criminal
    :mad:

How many years do you think a convicted drug dealer should get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Teadrinker wrote: »
    How many years do you think a convicted drug dealer should get?

I think what he was trying to say was that a rapist can get away with 7 years, out in 5, while a person caught with more that €40000 worth of cannibis gets 10 years in some cases. Its personal opinion, but I would think that a sex offender is more dangerous that some low level drug dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

I think what he was trying to say was that a rapist can get away with 7 years, out in 5, while a person caught with more that €40000 worth of cannibis gets 10 years in some cases. Its personal opinion, but I would think that a sex offender is more dangerous that some low level drug dealer.

A sex offender, damn every one of them to very severe sentences, would damager terribly the lives of a their direct victims, affect their families and into another generation. A drug dealer is like someone letting a bomb off. Its effects are not only potentially catastrophic to the individual who uses the drugs, damaging to their relationships and affecting their families, parents and children, but also is key to the growth of antisocial behaviour, robberies and crime of all sorts, including the hatchet attacks and gun crime as the drug dealing gangs fight for the upper hand, as is happening in Ennis and throughout this and every country.

Saying someone is merely "a low level drug dealer" is like saying someone is a little bit pregnant. And while I know we are all in our own bubbles of denial about our own particular baggage, with respect I put it to you that references to the buggery of children and sex crimes as a way of balancing things out to make a drug dealer seem relatively innocent is going way too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Anyways, back to my first point, the guy would get lashed in Iran if he did this and nothing happens here, not even a fine, yet they pull up people every week in court for falling around the place drunk. So if I'm out in the queens one night and I stagger out and fall over in front of a gaurd I am summons straight away, plead guilty and given a €300 fine, but if break into peoples houses and plead guilty I get away scott free with a suspended sentance. No wonder this country is fckd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

This fella robbed the house two doors down from me. I hear he cleaned the place out

Advertisement