Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Masters a big step in standard from an undergraduate degree?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My Undergraduate was 8 years ago, my Grad Dip was 7. I was a good student, in the top cluster in most classes, but I'd still appreciate feedback. It's a taught Masters, is it a very big step up in standard?.
    Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not really. While the subject matter is at a more advanced level, personally, I enjoyed (and consequently did better) my Masters more than my degree.

If you did well on your undergrad degree, you will manage fine with your masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭techdiver

I echo the sentiments of Tom Dunne. I also did better in my Masters than I did in my undergrad. I found it better from the point of view that it wasn't as broad and it was slightly more focused and didn't contain as much "filler" as my undergrad degree course.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1

Whilst there may be aspects of a masters you prefer over others, I'd guess that everything is relevant and linked to your area of interest making it a more rewarding and enjoyable experience.

As another poster said, some first degrees can be quite broad by design and I hated some modules I had to study. I'm just completing a research masters and its been a real and valuable learning experience which will stand me in good stead during my taught masters in Sept.

The gaps between my first degree and PG Dip and this years masters were similar to yours, but I quickly got back into the swing of it and enjoyed it far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

I was in a taught masters and I found the jump fairly hard to deal with. My undergrad had 13 hours a week however the masters was 9-5 or 9-6. It was hardgoing. I found the worst thing was the load of assignments we had to do, cos everynite after being exhausted from the day you had to go do work and weekends were taken over. The biggest thig from my course was an assignment was due every week , so the relief from one being handed in was shortlived. Regards the content of lectures it wasnt that it was a step up, just alot more expected of you. For my exams in May I had to read loads of articles for each exam and then discuss them in the exam.

but If I could choose again, I would still do it, there was pros and cons but once you go in with your eyes opened (I didnt) of the work involved you should be well able for it.

Best of luck with it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

What course did you do corkkaz?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭corkkaz

I did accounting.

I probably made it sound worse then it was. The second semester was different though cos the hours were cut to help people work on the thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I completed by undergrad in Arts in 2003, took up an intense taught masters in 2008...SHOCK to the brain...I was eager to go back and excited at the prospects of training to become something other than an Arts bum, but the step up was significant....I suppose a step up the stairs is significant from an arts degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

in my experience a masters is a big step up from an undergrad and from a post grad diploma

however the question you pose is a difficult question to answer objectively.

there is probably as much difference between the masters qualifications offered by different institutions as there is between the undergrad courses on offer.

the most important thing is that the masters is in a subject that you like and are genuinely interested in.

rgds,

Gollem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks all....Much appreciate the feedback....the Masters is Gender Studies at U.L., it is an area that interests me a lot....so that certainly provides the motivation. The downside is that it doesn't really provide me with a new skill in the practical sense...something that a few people have commented on...but hopefully I'll network and enjoy my time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I completed by undergrad in Arts in 2003, took up an intense taught masters in 2008...SHOCK to the brain...I was eager to go back and excited at the prospects of training to become something other than an Arts bum, but the step up was significant....I suppose a step up the stairs is significant from an arts degree...

Wow, that's pretty much my situation. Graduated Arts in 2004 and now hoping to do a masters.
    It will definitely not be college as I knew it...!

• Advertisement

Filan wrote: »
    Thanks all....Much appreciate the feedback....the Masters is Gender Studies at U.L., it is an area that interests me a lot....so that certainly provides the motivation. The downside is that it doesn't really provide me with a new skill in the practical sense...something that a few people have commented on...but hopefully I'll network and enjoy my time.....

Workplace equality & diversity is a big thing in public and private organisations now....might be one possibility.....just a thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Max001 wrote: »
    Workplace equality & diversity is a big thing in public and private organisations now....might be one possibility.....just a thought ;)

economic survival is a big thing in private and public organisations now.

i'd imagine stuff like equality & diversity might be put on the back burner for a while.

for example wasn't the Equality authority's budget one of the first things to be cut in 2008 ? don't remember there being much of a fuss made about it either.

Fair point, however with workplace and more general equality being legislated on by Brussels via Directives, as well as nationally sourced legislation, you'd be surprised how many jobs there are in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I found a big step up in Economics but not in History.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm thinking of going back to do a Masters in UCD in Equality after 7 years - It's a long time since I've studied

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm currently in a Masters, having just finished my undergrad last year. While I don't think it's any more difficult, it takes up a huge number of hours to get all the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

corkkaz wrote: »
    My undergrad had 13 hours a week however the masters was 9-5 or 9-6. It was hardgoing. I found the worst thing was the load of assignments we had to do, cos everynite after being exhausted from the day you had to go do work and weekends were taken over. The biggest thig from my course was an assignment was due every week , so the relief from one being handed in was shortlived

that sounds like my hons degree at the moment :D:(:eek: relentless! :mad:.

Advertisement