Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E39 Wipers

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My 02 520, decided, on this of all mornings, with rain hammering down in biblical proportions, that it would send the wipers bananas!

Driving along with the wipers going (normal sweep), they seemed to get confused and clatter in to one another.

This left the passenger side stuck straight, and the driver side stuck.

I lifted the passenger side back off the window, and the driver side eventually worked, although intermitently, and I limped on to work.

Has this happened to anyone out there, and is it a simple linkage issue that can be fixed with out selling my first born?

Help ...... I hope it's dry going home!! :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hopedully one wiper's just come loose on its spindle - you may be able to lift the tab on the bottom of the wiper to get at the bolt and tighten it up. If that doesn't work, the linkage may be broken. In that case, removing the passenger side wiper may allow the drivers side one to work to get you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

if its not a mechanical issue it could be the ZKE5 module that controls the wiper relay....i think its behind the glove box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pipingdesigner

Hopedully one wiper's just come loose on its spindle - you may be able to lift the tab on the bottom of the wiper to get at the bolt and tighten it up. If that doesn't work, the linkage may be broken. In that case, removing the passenger side wiper may allow the drivers side one to work to get you home.

Cheers, I'll try that first ... if it can get me home, I can look for the relay then ....

Thanks guys (gals?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

One wiper is driven by the motor and the other is linked to it by a linkage and rubber bush. I'd hazard a guess the rubber bush is worn and the arm popped out.

You need to take off the cover of teh wiper arm mechanism to push it back in but it won't last long. I had exact same issue with my '97 E39 a few years back and I needed to get a new mechanism. Found one in a car in a breakers yard...they are not cheap. You can't just replace the rubber bush which is a pain in the a$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

there's a link between the 2 arms that can go. It did on mine with the same type of result. got it done on warranty so don't know what it cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

E39MSport wrote: »
    there's a link between the 2 arms that can go. It did on mine with the same type of result. got it done on warranty so don't know what it cost.

you need the full linkage section as the arm is not available in a single part...

Advertisement