Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about deposit

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

How long does it take to get the deposit back?

We are moving out of our apartment in two weeks (Tuesday after August bank holiday). We've been in the apartment for just under three years. Have had inspections every three months and apartment has always been in perfect condition (more than one comment alluding to the high level of care we've taken of the place).

The management company and the landlord inspected the place yesterday. Talked to the management company on the phone yesterday and asked was everything ok. She said twas fine. I asked about deposit etc and she said that we would get the deposit back 'five working days after the final inspection', barring' awaiting quotations from any workmen on work that needs to be done'. I asked like what and it seemed to me like she was being evasive.

Now, this has me worried. The deposit is almost two grand.

It's a tiny apartment. They inspected it for an hour and a half yesterday. Any damage requiring workmen would have been obvious then.

I am suspicious that she is saying nothing, wanting us to play ball with showing the apartment to prospective tenants this week, and will then try and hit us for something when we move out.

There are wear and tear issues:
    * the place needs repainting. It's a small apartment and there is some scuffing. But nothing excessive and the apartment hasn't been painted in four plus years.
    * there is some scuffing on the wooden floor. Mainly from the couch that was in the apartment (put there by the landlord). It has metal legs and has left scuffs on the floor. We fitting little covers to the legs of the couch to avoid any further damage.
    * some small rips on the faux leather dining chairs. This is gradual. No one was standing on them or anything.
    * some marking of the cheap faux white leather on two of the dining chairs. The apartment is small and was laid out with two chairs up against the storage heater.

Can we be charged for the above? It is a bit disappointing. It sort of felt like being back at college being inspected every 3 months. But we took it at face value and kept the place spick and span.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

IMO you've put up with a lot. I wouldn't accept inspections every 3 months. Particularly not after years of passing them with flying colours. Still having gone through it this can now work in your favour. If there was any damage of note they should have raised it at the time of inspection.

The deposit cannot be retained for normal wear and tear. The wear and tear to the furnishings and floor you describe sounds like the usual to expect after 3 years, but some degree of interpretation is always required.

The mention of workmen is ominous. Some landlords/agents routinely pilfer deposits for overcharged cleaning/oddjobs. Stand your ground, tell them that as per the frequent inspections over the past number of years you will not be accepting responsbility for anything classified as damage or as needing repair over and above normal wear and tear. Be firm, but don't fly off the handle yet. If they escalate the matter, mention Threshold and the PRTB (by the way, read up and/or seek advice from both) and make it clear you will seek mediation/arbitration. Let them know you're not a soft-touch.

If you really want to play aggressively, you can tell them you won't be handing back the keys until you get your deposit. There's no reason the deposit can't be returned on the day of departure. 5 working days me bollix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The other thing is photograph the whole place in detail before you leave. If there is a dispute- you then have photographic evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Got a mail today saying that they had given my contact details to painters and they would be calling me to sort out access. Again, we have always been fully cooperative, so I have no problem with that at all.

I queried the deposit refund time line and 'time to receive invoices for any work done'. I asked them to confirm that repainting is part of normal wear and tear and, again, asked for feedback from yesterday's inspection.

The receptionist wouldn't put me through to the person who deals with leases and who partook in yesterdays inspection. She wouldn't even guarantee that the woman would call me back - saying she would call me back 'if she could'.

Any advice on what I should do now? I don't want to create a nasty situation - I've always gotten on well with the contact person in the maintenance section. I don't want to be paranoid and accuse them of trying to pull a fast one when they may be doing nothing of the sort.

It's just strange enough behaviour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The deposit is only for any damage above normal wear and tear- it most certainly does not cover painting the apartment.

As I mentioned above- photograph the place- and if you do not get a satisfactory response from the woman- have no hesitation whatsoever to call the PRTB, thats what they're there for. I would suggest you make the receptionist aware that you are going to escalate the issue- if she does not give it appropriate attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

quad_red wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback guys.

Got a mail today saying that they had given my contact details to painters and they would be calling me to sort out access. Again, we have always been fully cooperative, so I have no problem with that at all.

I queried the deposit refund time line and 'time to receive invoices for any work done'. I asked them to confirm that repainting is part of normal wear and tear and, again, asked for feedback from yesterday's inspection.

The receptionist wouldn't put me through to the person who deals with leases and who partook in yesterdays inspection. She wouldn't even guarantee that the woman would call me back - saying she would call me back 'if she could'.

Any advice on what I should do now? I don't want to create a nasty situation - I've always gotten on well with the contact person in the maintenance section. I don't want to be paranoid and accuse them of trying to pull a fast one when they may be doing nothing of the sort.

It's just strange enough behaviour.
    Don't worry about being in a nasty situation - you are already in one! Making you wait for painters quotes after they've inspected the place so regularly is nasty. Start being firm yourself. You want to be nice and the problem is they play on this. Stop being nice - be business like. Send solicitors letter etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement