Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Options
  • 21-07-2009 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

I have read the entire 7 volumes of Edward Gibbons The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (when ive re-read 7 times I might be closer to undersatnding it all!) which takes in the entire period of history dating from 180 to 1453. Its without doubt the most comprehensive work ever done on Roman history and though some of it is dated due to recent archaeology its a great read even for the layman. Volume One mainly covers the fall in the West and the barbaian invasions of the 3rd and 4th centuries and ive found myself re-reading many times as its so engrossing. If you have an interest in ths period of history its a must have book, go buy it now!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

fartmaster wrote: »
    I have read the entire 7 volumes of Edward Gibbons The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (when ive re-read 7 times I might be closer to undersatnding it all!) which takes in the entire period of history dating from 180 to 1453. Its without doubt the most comprehensive work ever done on Roman history and though some of it is dated due to recent archaeology its a great read even for the layman. Volume One mainly covers the fall in the West and the barbaian invasions of the 3rd and 4th centuries and ive found myself re-reading many times as its so engrossing. If you have an interest in ths period of history its a must have book, go buy it now!!!

I love Gibbon's style of writing - though I must confess that I envy you, how on earth did you take on the entire 7 volumes??

Churchill found Gibbon to be his inspiration for his history of the second world war. The comparisons are startling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

TedB wrote: »
    I love Gibbon's style of writing - though I must confess that I envy you, how on earth did you take on the entire 7 volumes??.

I have plenty of time since I have moved out of the big smoke to indulge my other interests such as imperial Roman history! Certain passages I have re-read as I have found them so insightful and thought provoking!

Churchill found Gibbon to be his inspiration for his history of the second world war. The comparisons are startling..

I have not read this but may take a gander :) The Germans themselves have gone down in history as the cause of two world wars and the destroyers of the greatest empire Europe has ever known. Gibbon gives great insights as to how the Romans had many chances and aspired to romanizing the German tribes since the defeat of Varus made Augustus believe they could not conquer them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

fartmaster wrote: »
    and though some of it is dated due to recent archaeology

Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean that recent archaeology has proven some of this book to be wrong? I'd like to know. I'm a big fan of ancient Roman history (in a very non-academic way ;)) and have visited Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Roman forum, Colleseum (Italy) and Bath (England). I'd like to know how much of it is incorrect.

Sounds fascinating!

Did you read Imperium by Robert Harris? It's fiction but a great story imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean that recent archaeology has proven some of this book to be wrong? I'd like to know. I'm a big fan of ancient Roman history (in a very non-academic way ;)) and have visited Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Roman forum, Colleseum (Italy) and Bath (England). I'd like to know how much of it is incorrect.

Sounds fascinating!

Recent archaeology has shed more light on some of Gibbons assumptions (he wrote his works back in 1776!!! but it is still regarded as one of the most complete works on that period in time) and Gibbon did make great use of the works of the historia augusta http://www.livius.org/hi-hn/ha/hist_aug.html which most modern historians believe are more full of fiction than fact.

no not a fiction reader I leave that to the cinema :)

Imperiums a great book! Is he ever going to write a second installment? Because he left Cicero standing in a really wierd spot... (Pompeii ain't half bad either)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

What do you think of Gibbon when he comes under examination of both von Ranke's system of history and Foucult's criticism of history? Even though he is a wonderfully elegant historian do you not think he is somewhat dated?

godspal wrote: »
    What do you think of Gibbon when he comes under examination of both von Ranke's system of history and Foucult's criticism of history? Even though he is a wonderfully elegant historian do you not think he is somewhat dated?

Completely and utterly. The meta-narrative was a myth. The closest thing we've come to since was Norman Davies history of Europe - though there have been loads of similar attempts.

Then again, there is a lot to be said for the old school narrative. Just as long as no-one hangs on to the illusion that somebody can write a 'definitive' account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Imperiums a great book! Is he ever going to write a second installment? Because he left Cicero standing in a really wierd spot... (Pompeii ain't half bad either)

I wish there was a second installment, don't know if there will be! I liked Imperium a lot more than Pompeii but as you say Pompeii wasn't that bad, I just preferred Imperium! :)

Advertisement