Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypass airline credit card charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ronan1001

daveyjoe wrote: »
    For what it's worth people are reporting that you can now use Euro as the base currency and the card will still work as an electron (I have not verified this myself though): http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/avoid-the-credit-card-charge-when-booking-with-ryanair/

This worked for me. Didn't read the thread fully so opened it in Euros, but the flights still went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Just got myself an entropay there, looking to pay for a flight that's costing €98.20 (before the €10 CC charge). Two questions, is it still worthwhile paying using it for flights like this, i.e. non free or .99c ones? If it is, how much GB£ do I need to deposit to my entropay to cover the cost of the flight?

Cheers.

It is not worth while. Buy a €100 ryan air vouche (will cost you €105) and pay for the flight wiht the voucher. There is no extra charge for this. You will however not get any change back fromn the voucher but your flight cost is very close to €100.
    flight total will be €105 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

The signup for the site seems to be down

"The service is not available. Please try again later."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

greened wrote: »
    It is not worth while. Buy a €100 ryan air vouche (will cost you €105) and pay for the flight wiht the voucher. There is no extra charge for this. You will however not get any change back fromn the voucher but your flight cost is very close to €100.
    flight total will be €105 all in.

Ryanair have been applying the credit card charge to voucher payments for a good while now, I think since March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Ryanair have been applying the credit card charge to voucher payments for a good while now, I think since March?

no.I fly regular with ryanair. They are only charging 5 euro all in for a voucher transaction. you could have a group of 6 flying and will still only pay 5 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Is there anyway of loading an Entropay card apart from a visa/MC ?
    I've money sitting in a neteller account and hoping I can use that for something !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Another CC is the only way to load an Entropay card. From looking at neteller's website, it seems you can transfer your money there into a virtual MasterCard. You could then use that to charge your Entropay card.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I signed up for Entropay when I first saw this, loaded money yesterday and tried to book a flight on Ryanair - it declined the card several times but eventually gave me a booking number but said the flight is not confirmed until I receive an email. Nothing so far and the money has not been taken from Entopay yet.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I need to book the flight but don't know if I should just use my normal CC now - I don't want to end up paying for this twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

the_pod wrote: »
    I signed up for Entropay when I first saw this, loaded money yesterday and tried to book a flight on Ryanair - it declined the card several times but eventually gave me a booking number but said the flight is not confirmed until I receive an email. Nothing so far and the money has not been taken from Entopay yet.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I need to book the flight but don't know if I should just use my normal CC now - I don't want to end up paying for this twice.

Yeh Pod this has happened to me the last two times I used Entropay. It seems to me that there is not enough money in the account - even though i loaded what I needed...Only when I went back into my Entropay account and loaded another tenner and then rebooked the flights, were they confirmed.I have used this for the past year with no problems until now..I dont know if I am miscalculating with the loading but cant see how im doing this as its all self explanatory..or if they keep a few bob back in case the exchange rate fluctuates...havent figured it out ...if anyone can shed any light on this i'd be very interested to know ....another thing that has me confused is the fact that when I book flights a few weeks later my Entropay account shows a nil balance, even though i would be sure there was a couple of pounds in the account :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

homer911 wrote: »
    Any problems with credit card names?

Not sure it was specifically names but I did try Entropay on one UK site which said it accpeted visa electron and it was rejected. On Ryanair and others they don't seem to worry what the name is. I've used 'entropay' and my own name and both seemed to work.

Typical Indo crap, but maybe the sub editor held it back until he needed an item to fill a hole?

Bye, Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I decided to try again with the Entropay details cos the money had not been taken off it and it there wasn't enough money for them to charge me twice - it worked in the end but it wasn't worth the amount of time and effort I wasted.

Never got any follow up from Ryanair about the initial unconfirmed booking. I really hate them but other airports are too far from where I'm going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rosielee wrote: »
    another thing that has me confused is the fact that when I book flights a few weeks later my Entropay account shows a nil balance, even though i would be sure there was a couple of pounds in the account :confused:

This has happened to me as well. And I know for SURE that there was a few quid left in the account which has now vanished. Entropay are trying to tell me that my Ryanair purchases matched my balance exactly! I know they didn't cos I had to upload an extra tenner to get the purchases through and knew there was about £5 left over.

Here are the screenprints - you can see that the 2nd Ryanair purchase miraculously matches the remaining balance. For this to have happened Ryanair would have had to use completely different exchange rates if you compare against the Euro prices of the flights.

entrostatement.jpg

Problem above is where the 2nd Ryanair flight brings the balance to exactly zero.

entrosupport.jpg

support are happy to say it all worked out quite nicely.

entromyvisa.jpg

no problem with my normal visa above - 3 amounts taken out to fund the Entropay card.

entroryanair1.jpg

entroryanair2.jpg

the above flight prices from Ryanair when compared to the amounts taken from the entropay card would have to be completely different exchange rates.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I am thinking of posting for advice on askaboutmoney - Entropay are a regulated firm in the UK and something seems to be amiss. Unless of course I have missed something obvious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I thought I had the same issue..they are charging me 9.50 gbp for a 10 euro charge... Entropay's exchange rate is messing it up seem to be making it up as they go.

The very same day charging me 19.18 gbp for a 20 euro transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

And I know for SURE that there was a few quid left in the account which has now vanished.

I had the same happen to me several times. But as of late, it seems to have stopped happening. I have 10 Entropay cards, each with between a few pence and a few pounds on it. Whenever I log in, all the balances are there. Maybe it is actually a genuine bug in their system that sporadically happens, not a scam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Here are the screenprints - you can see that the 2nd Ryanair purchase miraculously matches the remaining balance. For this to have happened Ryanair would have had to use completely different exchange rates if you compare against the Euro prices of the flights.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I am thinking of posting for advice on askaboutmoney - Entropay are a regulated firm in the UK and something seems to be amiss. Unless of course I have missed something obvious!

Im in total agreement with you there podgeandrodge. This has happened to me the last 4 times I have booked using Entropay. ..I could be out a few pence with the transaction and have to load the extra £10- next time its gone !...and my transaction history is the same as yours...I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem. If I add up roughly what I 'lost' when the balance was unconvincingly reduced to nil...then I reckon I lost about £35 i'd say...I'm with you on posting for advice on askaboutmoney.com,maybe the whizzes over there can shed some light on it...i wont be using Entropay again until they cop on !.there is definitely something dodgey about it..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Bit worried now about trying to use this for an aerlingus flight . I have one account set up with GBP as my currency. Can I set up a euro card for Aer lingus and get charged for an electron card It might be easier to work out the actual charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do Aerlingus even take visa electron? They still charge the full surcharge for debit cards such as laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Do Aerlingus even take visa electron? They still charge the full surcharge for debit cards such as laser.
    I used Entropay a few months back and it was accepted as Visa Electron with no fee. Think others have also had success since then.

Handling Fee

Charges as follows: €5 /£5 per person, per flight. Flights originating in the USA, Infant Bookings and Bookings using Visa Electron are not subject to the handling fee.
    Happy days! :)

It is a bit rich charging the full fee for laser transactions seeing as it only costs them 20 cent per transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It is a bit rich charging the full fee for laser transactions seeing as it only costs them 20 cent per transaction.

Probably less than that. Friend of mine has a restaurant, he pays 14c per Laser transaction, so I'm sure a big company like Aer Lingus will have negotiated to pay even less.

• Advertisement

bleary wrote: »
    Bit worried now about trying to use this for an aerlingus flight . I have one account set up with GBP as my currency. Can I set up a euro card for Aer lingus and get charged for an electron card It might be easier to work out the actual charge

From way back on this thread -

"if you load the card with euro then its an ordinary CC but using it with £ (funny money) you can use a Visa Electron"

This seems to have been confirmed a few times.

Bye, Barry

P.S. don't forget this method is only useful if the flight cost is low; the entropay % based fee makes it not worthwhile if it is above a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Cheers -Was only going to save about 1.50 on my flight at most so went and booked as standard -the whole currency conversion and unknown costs put me off.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ronan1001

BarryM wrote: »
    From way back on this thread -

"if you load the card with euro then its an ordinary CC but using it with £ (funny money) you can use a Visa Electron"

This seems to have been confirmed a few times.

Bye, Barry

P.S. don't forget this method is only useful if the flight cost is low; the entropay % based fee makes it not worthwhile if it is above a few quid.

I loaded it with Euro and paid by Visa Electron so unless mine was a glitch I think you can do this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Anybody else having a problem booking a flight yesterday or today with Ryanair, using Visa Electron?

I booked a flight yesterday evening with Ryanair, entered all my details, and hit submit, the website started processing the info and then announced that my session had been locked because of technical difficuties, when I went back to the home page and entered the manage my booking tab,it brought up the session locked page again.

I waited till this morning, no confirmation e mail had arrived, but I managed to acess the my booking tab this time, it told me that it had no details of my booking for the flight in question.

So, I booked the same flight again entered all my details including the electron details, hit submit and I got the session locked page again, and the same page when i accessed the my bookings tab.

Does anybody here know what the problem is?

Anybody else having a problem booking a flight yesterday or today with Ryanair, using Visa Electron?

Does anybody here know what the problem is?

Yea, not Entropay specifically. It has been happening, in my experience, for a few months. "Normally" the booking has gone through; i.e. the email of confirmation arrives. If not then your routine of rebooking usually works (but there are lots of reports of the price having changed meantime!!). seems like you've been unlucky. Try again.

It is quite bizarre that Ryr have not fixed the glitch, makes you wonder if it isn't a deliberate ploy - you don't get a confirmation until they like the price :P

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

I did, I tried to book the same flight about 4 or 5 times over two days and each time after entering my details and hitting submit, the site would display a session locked page for about 30 - 45 minutes, then when i was able to access the my booking tab, it would inform me that the system had no details of my booking.

I thought that the problem was the electron details, so i used my normal credit card, went through the rigmarole again, and again it locked me out, however this time i got an email afterwards confirming the booking!

I was lucky that the flight was the same price throughout, but the whole episode is ridiculous. you just don't where you are in the booking process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

It happens to me on a regular basis on firefox but never on safari so far. I've had it happen using a regular credit card too not just entropay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Opened an Entropay EURO card today and booked a flight succussfully with Ryanair, looks like Ryanair now acccept Entropay cards with a Euro balance .

Subject to the full surcharge of course.

• Advertisement

Subject to the full surcharge of course.

Yes, but has been pointed out several times here, the entropay charge (for all the uses, not separated like Ryr), are less than the Ryr per passenger/card charge, if the flights are cheap.

Bye, Barry

Advertisement